DeWalt DWA3HLDFT IMPACT READY 12-in Magnetic Impact Bit Holder

Review by Rich posted 02-26-2020 04:56 AM 790 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DeWalt DWA3HLDFT IMPACT READY 12-in Magnetic Impact Bit Holder DeWalt DWA3HLDFT IMPACT READY 12-in Magnetic Impact Bit Holder No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

In the world of tools and accessories, bit holders are kind of ho-hum. They come with every kit we buy and most of us, including me, rarely think much about them. However…

Do you ever get annoyed when the bit sticks in the head of the fastener you’re screwing in and pulls loose from the holder? Mostly with Robertson (square) drive and Torx, it’s common for the bit to get torqued into the head of the fastener and when you pull the driver back, the bit stays with the fastener. Yes, it’s minor, but still annoying.

Or, with bits like smaller Torx sizes, it can be impossible to grip the bit with your fingers tightly enough to pull it loose from the bit holder. Sure, grab some pliers and it comes out. Again, no big deal, but irritating.

Where this bit holder shines is that it locks the bit in. You cannot pull the bit out, and it won’t pull out and stay stuck in the screw head. To release the bit, you pull back on the black portion of the shank, and the bit is ejected.

I know what you’re thinking—whoop-de-do—but for $8.98 at Lowe’s, I bought one for every hex driver I own.

As an added benefit, the magnet seems really strong and holds the fasteners tightly. There’s also a package with one 3”and one 6” bit holder along with some bits for about $20.

Epilog: This is kind of funny, but when I posted the review, the 12-in part of the title—which I copied from the Lowe’s site—stuck out. I went back to the Lowe’s site and saw that the 6” version was labeled 6-in, and this one 12-in. Well, the fact is, it’s 3-in…lol

But Lowe’s lists it as 12-in, and 12-in it shall be for this review. (but it’s really only 3 inches—it’s just bragging)

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View Rich's profile

Rich

View SpartyOn's profile

SpartyOn

#1 posted 02-26-2020 02:02 PM

Thank you for posting this review of such a “ho-hum” tool. I too get annoyed with my bit holders and just so happen to have a Lowe’s gift card waiting to be used. Based on this review will get one of these this week. And yes, size matters:)

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

#2 posted 02-26-2020 03:38 PM

I’m looking for this next time I’m at Lowes! I’ve been wanting a decent bit holder for a long time, I just figured they were all the same junk. There have been many times where I wanted to use a magnetic bit holder but got so annoyed by the bits coming out that I just switch to a regular quick connect bit just to get through the job without constantly futzing with the bit. Thanks for sharing this Ron!

-- Jarrett - Mount Vernon, Ohio

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#3 posted 02-26-2020 04:02 PM

Oh it’s a big deal alright, one of my pet peeves. Thanks so much for this concise review!

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

View dmo0430's profile

dmo0430

#4 posted 02-27-2020 07:20 PM

This is a big deal. I’ve used one similar from Berland’s House of Tools that’s about 20 years old from my dad. I haven’t seen a good replacement but I’ll be sure to swing by Lowe’s and pick some up.
Thanks!!!

View Rich's profile

Rich

#5 posted 02-28-2020 12:37 AM

Thanks everyone. I almost didn’t do a review because I thought hey, bit holder, who cares? I’m glad now I did and it’s something useful to you.

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#6 posted 03-04-2020 07:10 AM

I went through a couple of the old Dewalt bit holders, really liked them. But for impacts I bought Makita which are pretty good too but I might grab one of these to try out.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#7 posted 03-08-2020 07:46 PM

Nice review, I will pick one up

-- Petey