SawStop Contractors Saw

Review by Fleamo posted 02-21-2020 04:39 AM 2300 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SawStop Contractors Saw SawStop Contractors Saw SawStop Contractors Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the SawStop at my local Woodcraft store. Picked up the one with the 36” T-Glide fence which is most robust. The mobile base works well in my small garage shop. The out feed table attaches and removes easily with three bolts that can be threaded and unthreatened by hand before moving the saw. You cannot move the entire beast with the mobile base when the outfeed table is fastened. The saw is quiet, smooth and most importantly safe. I have added Jess-em stock feed guides using Magswitches to attach them. Almost forgot, the assembly is involved but the directions and packaging couldn’t make it any easier.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#1 posted 02-21-2020 01:40 PM

We’ve had tons of reviews and as many opinions as any one would dare. I’ve got the professional model myself.

General consensus:
It’s a very well made saw with quality fit, finish, and performance of any other good, quality, machine.
It’s more expensive because of the safety features and that $$ part is a personal choice.

Enjoy, you’re gonna like it… a lot.

Personally: I have young’uns… 30ish of age in the family who I tell when they ask,” At your age, (and one plays the violin) in my opinion, there is no other choice.”

I’m just glad it’s a good machine. Having to make that decision on safety alone would be difficult. My niece is a charge nurse in a large hospital’s emergency room. Her power tool injury stories are not for the faint of heart.

View woodbuster's profile

woodbuster

#2 posted 02-21-2020 06:54 PM

I have this saw also and find it to be great in all ways. No regrets. I do have one question which has gone unanswered since I got the saw:

When I power it off and the blade is winding down, I get about a second of vibration that is quite audible. It has been suggested to me that the noise is from the drive belt going through some harmonics due to changing rpm. Replacing the belt did not help. My saw goes through long periods of no use and it was suggested that the belt gets a “set” from this. No big deal, but it annoys me at times.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#3 posted 02-21-2020 09:28 PM

- woodbuster

The professional saw has an internal motor with belts that look like wide automotive belts. I get no vibrations. But, my older saw, a delta, was a contractors saw and had the motor hanging off the back of the machine with a standard V belt. It would get a set and vibrate sometimes. I don’t know what your as has but it will cause this to happen. I’d get a new belt and it would be okay for awhile.
They have a sort of link belt. It’s called a vibration free link belt for table saws that is designed to eliminate this issue. Lots of places have them. I think Harbor Freight even does.

View GaryCN's profile

GaryCN

#4 posted 02-22-2020 09:34 PM

Those JessEm guides are awesome, I have them, pricey but well worth it.

-- Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

#5 posted 02-23-2020 03:05 AM

The saw guides were a necessity on my old Ridgid 4513. I had a couple of nasty kickback incidents before I picked them up. Now on the new Sawstop I am impressed even more with the performance. They enhance the safety of any table saw.

View REL's profile

REL

#6 posted 02-25-2020 02:14 AM

Fleamo, I’m very impressed with your inventive/creativeness in using mag switches to attach the Jess-em feed guides to the saw table fence. It is one of those ideas you look at and say “why didn’t I think of that.”

I thought the discussion of owning a Sawstop was long settled. I have owned an Industrial model since 2008. I’m doing very little woodworking now, (but if a similar safety feature was available for other equipment such as a bandsaw, miter saw, router, jointer/planer or whatever) I would buy it in a heartbeat.

-- REL, North Jersey

#7 posted 02-27-2020 03:53 AM

REL, I could not bring myself to drill through my T-Glide fence to mount the JessEm guides. I mount other jigs on the fence with them, as well. I looked on line for alternative ideas and borrowed this idea. It is not my invention. They work incredibly well. You can use them on a drill press, band saw and probably many other applications.

View REL's profile

REL

#8 posted 02-27-2020 04:36 AM

Fleamo, I don’t want to drill holes in my Sawstop fence either. On what site did you see the mag switches being used to hold down jigs? Just curious.

-- REL, North Jersey

View garageking's profile

garageking

#9 posted 03-01-2020 09:44 AM

I also didn’t’ want to drill into my Sawstop fence and decided to use magswitches. I hadn’t seen it done and thought it was my own clever idea! Nothing new under the sun! But it has worked great and the guides are extremely well made. I like that I can flip them out of the way if I don’t need them. You don’t need the guides for every cut but I use them enough to consider them a necessity. And after thirty plus years of using a benchtop saw, I love my PCS.

-- David, Kentucky

#10 posted 03-01-2020 11:24 PM

I saw this idea on David Stanton’s Youtube videos. The guy has an amazing shop.

View woodbuster's profile

woodbuster

#11 posted 04-26-2020 08:11 PM

I am the one who poted about my SS contractor’s saw having a noise problem. One day while sitting around I thought that I would give the manufacturer a call and see if they had any fresh ideas. I had no previously had much success with just changing the belt, as suggested. Well, this was my lucky day.

I reached a super good guy named Trent, who had previously been in their service dept. He said that it was probably not the belt, but one of three things: bad start capacitor, bad run capacitor, and a remote possibility that it was the fault of the cooling fan. He sent me all three parts and detailed instructions. I first changed the start capacitor and gave it a try…presto! ran just fine for the first time in two years.

Its not only a great saw, but a great company to deal with. Many thanks to Trent.

#12 posted 07-15-2020 02:38 AM

Hey Woodbuster, Good to know they have great customer service.in case I ever need it.