I compared and reviewed several different rasps and found a few surprises

Review by CharlieK posted 02-20-2020 10:38 PM 3479 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I compared and reviewed several different rasps and found a few surprises No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

<div>Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code</div>

I compared super inexpensive rasps from Amazon to hand cut French rasps and several others. I hope this is useful.

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

#1 posted 02-21-2020 03:34 AM

Charlie,

I followed your lead when you purchased them Work well and even come with a sleeve!

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

#2 posted 02-21-2020 04:59 PM

Charlie,

- DocSavage45

Thanks Tom, I’m glad they worked for you!

View mdhills's profile

mdhills

#3 posted 02-25-2020 03:23 PM

What was your takeaway?

#4 posted 02-25-2020 06:11 PM

What was your takeaway?

- mdhills

A couple of things. First, I think that a nice fine toothed rasp is harder to come by than a coarse one and I’m willing to pay more for them. I’ve found that the Auriou hand cut rasps really are better than most others. However, I tried a Liogier hand cut rasp and I didn’t like it at all. StewMac sells one called a Dragon rasp that gives great results and is less expensive than the hand cut rasps.

I have a couple of the Golden Rasps from Amazon and although they are a bit coarse, I think they are one of the best bargains in woodworking. They cut smoothly and quickly. Better yet, you can buy a set of them for around $12!

View Foghorn's profile

Foghorn

#5 posted 02-28-2020 02:54 AM

Nice review. I have a Polish made one from LeeValley that is pretty good as well. When I’m carving guitar necks, it’s drawknife, spokeshave, Polish second cut and then the Aurioux fine. Hard to beat the finish with a hand stitched rasp before going to abrasives.

-- Darrel

#6 posted 02-28-2020 04:02 PM

Nice review. I have a Polish made one from LeeValley that is pretty good as well. When I m carving guitar necks, it s drawknife, spokeshave, Polish second cut and then the Aurioux fine. Hard to beat the finish with a hand stitched rasp before going to abrasives.

- Foghorn

Thanks Darrel!

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#7 posted 02-28-2020 04:39 PM

Recommended rasps from amazon ‘Unavailable.’ Guess the word got out! Thx for the great review.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. - OldTools Archive -

#8 posted 02-28-2020 07:54 PM

- Smitty_Cabinetshop

Thanks! I’m surprised that they’re sold out!

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

#9 posted 03-03-2020 06:18 AM

I just got a couple of the yellow puppies and they are coarse varmits, but

AND thanks (they do what they are supposed to do, a whole lot quicker than paper (you reminded me I own a bunch).