Heavy Duty Roller Stands That Will Last!

Review by HorizontalMike posted 02-17-2020 03:25 PM 1380 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Heavy Duty Roller Stands That Will Last! Heavy Duty Roller Stands That Will Last! Heavy Duty Roller Stands That Will Last! Click the pictures to enlarge them

Grizzly has hit a solid “Triple RBI” with this new heavy duty roller stand!

The only thing stopping this from being a “Grand Slam” is that it only adjusts between 24 to 38 inches in height. I needed at least 42-1/16” to reach my 14” Band Saw table height on a mobile base. The regular machine roller stands would not give me enough height either. What I ended up doing is building my own mobile base, using 3/4” plywood and 3” wheels. This finally worked out well and gave me a total height of 44-1/4”. This thing is a monster and I love the pair I purchased. BTW, 4 out of 5 of my other cheaper roller stands are now broken where the restraining bolt stripped out the nut. These new Grizzly HD versions will not have that issue. Not cheap, BUT they are worth the extra $$$ IMO.

My only suggestion for Grizzly would be, to offer an alternative chrome tube 5 or 6” LONGER, as an option/alternative with this stand.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#1 posted 02-17-2020 03:34 PM

It does look HD with those castings. The added weight versus the typical plastic or thin metal will really help.

I have a few different brands, the one thing I’d like to see addressed with some clever design is reduced “tippyiness”, perhaps an extendable outrigger?

#2 posted 02-17-2020 07:32 PM

I have a few different brands, the one thing I d like to see addressed with some clever design is reduced “tippyiness”, perhaps an extendable outrigger?
- splintergroup

The tipsiness potential is why I chose to make the mobile base wider and square (~20”x20”), just to minimize any top-heaviness and to turn the base into a pseudo 4-leg base. particularly when resawing 8/4 or 12/4 rough-cut boards or using my miter-saw on same. Plus, I have a bunch of old plates and dumbbells that I can “park” on the bases when needed.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#3 posted 02-17-2020 08:48 PM

Hi Mike!

Yep, those look like the normal HIGH Quality products that Grizzly is famous for…

Those look SUPER GOOD!! Heavy… Will NOT slip & fall over at a bad moment! (horrible experiences)... :)

Thank you for the review!

Enjoy!

(... and I hope to be getting back in the Shop doing things very soon! :) )

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: http://www.WoodworkStuff.net ... My Small Gallery: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?media/albums/users/joe-lyddon.1389/

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#4 posted 02-17-2020 10:47 PM

Look like a decent upgrade to the workshop… good move on the caster choice and avoiding those useless “butterfly” type brakes. Personally I would have moved the brake wheels closer to the perimeter… those extra few mm, make break operation a tad easier.

Would easily raise the score to 6/5 if only they could release a rack and pinion lifting mechanism (but then again… cost)... far too often I raise the height only to miss it by a few °… then lower to overshoot it by that extra 1 or 2mm, then back up again… oh to be able to sneak up on the exact height.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#5 posted 02-18-2020 04:39 AM

Yea they do look heavy duty.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

#6 posted 02-18-2020 12:44 PM

...[snip]...
- LittleBlackDuck

I am finding out that using a poly dead-blow hammer comes in very handy, if you leave just a slight pinch on the tube. No damage and much less frustrating when adjusting height. I learned this quickly, since the tube and locking clamp are rather snug to begin with.

View richard2020's profile

richard2020

#7 posted 02-20-2020 11:48 AM

Grizzly store is 100 miles north of our home in Arkansas and it is always worth the trip. My wife holds her breath every time I enter the store. Years back I bought their G0544 20” planer with the spiral cutterhead. After thousands of board feet ran it is still sharp and working great.

-- buzz saw

#8 posted 02-20-2020 02:16 PM

Richard,
+10 on most things Grizzly… 8-)

I have and am happy with several Grizzly products:
Their Heavy Duty Roller Stands above,