You don't always get what you pay for.

Review by chipsareflying posted 01-27-2020 10:21 PM 1136 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
You don't always get what you pay for. You don't always get what you pay for. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just bought another table saw so what better excuse to buy another miter fence. I purchased the Incra® Miter 1000SE with Telescoping Fence from Rockler on sale for $150 with free shipping. I’m happy so far and can’t wait to get my hands on it. Step one, adjust the miter bar to the slot in the table by expanding the nylon washers in the bar. Easy peasy right? Not so much. Using the supplied hex wrench I couldn’t get any of the three washers to expand using enough force that any more would have stripped the screw. (I think most if not all of us know exactly how much force this is) This caught me totally by surprise; in all the reviews read and videos watched, this was never mentioned as an issue. After examining the screws and washers for any defects and not finding any, my only conclusion was the friction between the screw and nylon washer was the problem. A couple of shots of silicon lubricant solved the problem. Step two, square the fence to the blade. I have read reviews where some folks have gotten dead on results right out of the box, not me. No biggie, I expected this. The screws were extremely tight and got a bit buggered by the time they came loose. After removing and replacing the screws with better quality ones the fence is now tight and square to the blade. Of course the fence was not square to the table either, the adjustment nuts were not even touching the bracket. This however only took about 90 seconds to rectify. Good to go right? The last step is checking the accuracy of the 1/10 degree vernier cursor to the main scale. Of course the zero marks do not line up and the only adjustment is in the main scale by loosening the 5 screws and realigning it to the vernier cursor. Can I do this, yes, am I happy that I have to, no.
In conclusion, it’s rare to buy anything with moving parts that is good to go right out of the box. This however is not even close to what I expected from Incra. I could go on but I’m as tired of writing this as you are of reading it so enough said.

-- If a day goes by that you didn't learn something new, you probably weren't paying attention.

View chipsareflying's profile

chipsareflying

View Madmark2's profile

Madmark2

#1 posted 01-27-2020 10:36 PM

You test the 1/2° vernier not by loosening screws but by simple setting it to the 22.5° index notch.

It’s a precision tool and as with any tool it needs calibration to YOUR saw.

You should have spritzed the screws with lube before “buggering” them. I worked on motorcycles for years before retiring and the first thing you did on ‘dry’ fasteners was a squirt of lube followed by a tap to jar it and a five minute wait to let the lube do its thing.

Call incra, they’ll give you replacement hardware.

-- The hump with the stump and the pump!

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#2 posted 01-28-2020 12:13 AM

I have one and have not had a problem in 5+ years. I love mine and would rate it 5 stars.

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#3 posted 01-28-2020 07:16 AM

Like Red’, I got mine over 10 years ago and haven’t had major issues and if I can remember back, didn’t have any hassles with the first time set-up.

I bought mine packaged with an Incra Flip-stop, which looked good on paper, but the flip-stop is of bugger all use if you use a zero clearance fence (or any sort of add on fence)... but then again, that’s not the fences fault… the Incra fence but rather the seller fence.

Surprised you had issues as I thought the manual was fairly straight forward and unless you zigged when you should’ve zagged, with the screws/bolts (I do it all the time), they should not have resisted (too much)... I remeber trying to undo a left hand threaded bolt till I snapped it inside my drill press’s spindle.

Though I can’t fault Incra on the presentation of “this” manual, I often wist that manufacturers (others… with the exception, specifically of Leigh), would treat us woodworkers like those patronising help desk support people… and assume we’re all bloody idiots and structure instruction manuals accordingly.

PS. Maybe the fact that it was on sale might contribute to your chagrin.

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#4 posted 01-28-2020 02:12 PM

Well my SE was easy to set up and is very accurate. But I practiced on the 5000 sled, so maybe that helped?

-- Petey

View Rich1955's profile

Rich1955

#5 posted 01-28-2020 03:28 PM

I’ve had mine for about 4 years, when i first got it i had to readjust it to fit my saw. It took about a half hour but it was time well spent. Since then i haven’t had to readjust it at all, even though i still check it once in a while like any other tool.

-- Rich

View edapp's profile

edapp

334 posts in 2069 days

#6 posted 01-28-2020 06:57 PM

I always thought of the laborious setup procedure as the BENEFIT you get from this advanced miter gauge, over say the one that came with your saw.

The adjustments that are annoying you now, are precisely what guarantee excellent results! Everything can be dialed in just right… are are repeatable. You cannot get that kind of repeatable accuracy out of a stock miter gauge with no moving parts or fasteners.

View Bill White's profile

Bill White

#7 posted 01-28-2020 09:41 PM

Love mine. Bought it after looking at most gauges offered, and I’m glad I studied first. Great product.

-- [email protected]

View ruger's profile

ruger

#8 posted 01-29-2020 12:17 AM

the nylon washers have to be positioned so they expand properly when you tighten them down. double check where you have them clocked,as per manual. I did the same thing.

View misterbig's profile

misterbig

#9 posted 01-29-2020 05:34 AM

I have the 1000 HD and had zero issues setting up. In fact was dead on out of box other then adjusting the fence so the measurements would read correctly and adjusting the miter bar friction washers. I would give mine 5 stars.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#10 posted 01-30-2020 08:28 PM

I found squaring the Incra miter jig a royal PITA. I could get it dead on, but when I would tighten the screws, it would throw it out of alignment. After sitting on the shelf unused for several years, I finally brought it into my machinist friend at work. He locked it into his vise and took a skim cut off the face of the Incra. Now it’s finally square.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#11 posted 01-30-2020 09:41 PM

I found squaring the Incra miter jig a royal PITA….
- Mainiac Matt

Surprised to hear that M’M’... however, that may depend on the variant you have of the mitre jig (if they come in different models).
The 1000SE comes with a bloody confusing gizmo attachment that can adjust the fence by 1/10° increments up to 1°… If yours was out by more, you should have returned it for a replacement.
I found this reference on Youtube at around 8:20 into the video.

View Bobsboxes's profile

Bobsboxes

#12 posted 02-02-2020 03:15 PM

I have two these, one on a sled. Both take a little maintenance each year, but they are great. They have improved the quality of my work.

-- Bob in Montana. Kindness is the Language the blind can see and deaf can hear. - Mark Twain