Thompson Bowl Gouges

Review by Jim Jakosh posted 01-23-2020 02:44 AM 554 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Thompson Bowl Gouges Thompson Bowl Gouges Thompson Bowl Gouges Click the pictures to enlarge them

While shopping for new bowl gouges that last longer between sharpening, I found that most of the folks on the AAW site really like Thompson gouges so I ordered a set . I was thinking of getting M42 HSS ones but I found that the Thompson gouges are made from a higher grade (10V ) of steel that has 10% vanadium in them to resist wear. I can tell you that it sure works. I just turned a 6 1/2” x 8 1/2” barrel for Beads of courage out of Mesquite. I turned the entire project including the bottom and lid with the 5/8” gouge and it is still sharp and ready for the next job. I normally would have to have sharpened my M2 gouges a couple times through this much turning.

From the chart, the recommended angle on the gouge is 60 degrees which leaves a short land for scraping. The gouges came with a 64 1/2 degree angle on the front. I always use a Jamieson 2/4/7 sharpening jig to give a fingernail grind on a gouge and I did that to the 5/8 gouge before starting this project. You can see the difference in the land length in the first shot. That gives an angle of 68 degrees and it very comfortable using it that way and makes the scrape cut much cleaner.

I would definitely recommend these gouges but beware that they do not come with handles. Personalized black aluminum handles are $50 each. It is more fun to make your own out of wood and then they are also personalized!!

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

#1 posted 01-23-2020 03:49 AM

I like my D Way gouge, I emailed both companies and Thompson tools never responded and DWay got back to me in 20 minutes, I’m glad it worked for you

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#2 posted 01-23-2020 05:39 AM

Sounds like you have found some Super tools for your lathe!

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: http://www.WoodworkStuff.net ... My Small Gallery: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?media/albums/users/joe-lyddon.1389/

View jeff's profile

jeff

#3 posted 01-23-2020 09:46 AM

I have a few of Doug Thompson’s tools and they are nice.Glad you like them.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#4 posted 01-23-2020 03:07 PM

Better steel is a better tool. I have one saved in the cart waiting to pull the trigger.This might push me to do so. Thanks Jim.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View jbmaine's profile

jbmaine

#5 posted 01-23-2020 03:32 PM

If the (10V) material you mentioned is CPM10V then that is super tuff steel ( it’s actually powdered metaluragy ). I used to use CPM10V to make die plates for punching green ceramic diode rings for the electronics industry. CPM10V has incredible wear resistance.

View lew's profile

lew

#6 posted 01-23-2020 06:00 PM

Thanks for the honest review, Jim.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

#7 posted 01-24-2020 04:14 PM

Hi Jacksdad, I called Doug on the phone and we talked for about 20 minutes about his gouges and all that goes into them. I did not hear of D Way gouges when i did my search. What material are they made from? Are they priced about the same as the Thompson gouges?

Hi Jbmaine. Yes the steel is CPM10V powdered metal and triple heat treated. He also sells them made with CPM15V steel ( 15% vanadium). I sure notice the difference in wear resistance.

#8 posted 01-26-2020 02:27 AM

Hi jacksdad, I looked up the D Way gouges and here is what I found. They are made from M42 HSS and are high in cobalt which gives them good heat resistance when sharpening..they will not lose their temper.

Our Woodturning Bowl Gouge flutes are individually inspected and hand polished to remove all machine marks. This extra step assures the sharpest cutting edge possible. The flutes are a parabolic U shaped with tapered sides not a deep V. U shaped gouges are great for either finger nail or bottom feeder grinds. Made from M42 Cobalt HSS heat treated to a hardness of 66-68 HRC, tripled tempered. They are shipped sharp.

View JDCrae's profile

JDCrae

#9 posted 01-27-2020 05:19 PM

Since Doug’s stroke, he has found typing difficult. If you don’t hear back right away, just call and he will help in any way.

#10 posted 01-28-2020 04:37 PM

Thanks, JD, I didn’t know that. I talked to him on the phone and he did not mention the stroke.

I had to cut 4 rings off some aluminum hubs yesterday in the wood lathe and used the 1/2” Thompson gouge and it peeled the aluminum off like wood and is still sharp.

#11 posted 02-05-2020 02:07 AM

Nice review, I have both Thompson and David way. Both are great and both men are awesome and are always willing to help., safe turning.

#12 posted 02-10-2020 01:37 AM

Thanks, Ken. I keep using them and they still don’t need sharpening!!