rockler router pad leaves "residue marks"

Review by trsnider posted 01-19-2020 10:48 PM 1478 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
rockler router pad leaves "residue marks" rockler router pad leaves "residue marks" No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As you can see in the images the pad leaves “residue marks” (for lack of a better term) on wood. I had to go back down to 120 grit and resand to remove the marks. The mat holds the wood but what good is it if it marks the wood.
Wish I could give 0 stars but can’t. Back to the carpet pad.

View trsnider's profile

trsnider

View Madmark2's profile

Madmark2

#1 posted 01-19-2020 11:09 PM

I use the grey shelf liner mesh. It doesn’t leave ‘sand off’ marks like you’re getting but you will get a dust grid that wipes or blows off. It’s lots cheaper than that stuff from Rockler.

M

-- The hump with the stump and the pump!

View BobHinden's profile

BobHinden

#2 posted 01-20-2020 06:43 AM

I have had the same issue with the shelf liner stuff. Switched to an old towel.

Bob

-- Bob Hinden / San Francisco Bay Area

View Peteybadboy's profile (online now)

Peteybadboy

#3 posted 01-20-2020 11:31 AM

Same issue here, I use a towel.

-- Petey

View Bobsboxes's profile

Bobsboxes

#4 posted 01-20-2020 01:25 PM

Same think here, I use some old blankets.

-- Bob in Montana. Kindness is the Language the blind can see and deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

#5 posted 01-20-2020 02:32 PM

A lot of these products are PVC coated on a fabric mesh. The PVC has plasticizers that migrate to the surface and tend to make the surface extra-soft and sticky.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#6 posted 01-20-2020 03:43 PM

I see the same effect with the cheap drawer liners. Eventually sanding dust will eliminate the leeching, but then they start to get a bit slippery for use as a sanding pad.

I found a yoga mat on the discount shelf for $5 that is great. It holds workpieces still while going at them with the ROS. Only down side is it won’t allow a downdraft table to function as designed.

View pottz's profile

pottz

14859 posts in 1995 days

#7 posted 01-20-2020 10:27 PM

i use the non slip pads used to put under rugs,kinda of a beige color havn’t had any issues so far.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#8 posted 01-21-2020 01:16 AM

I use that foam sponge pad from the carpet layer left overs.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#9 posted 01-21-2020 05:00 AM

Try wiping with acetone. They look very new and clean and thus still have residue on them. Mine worked best when they got dusty.. Rub them down with sawdust then shake them out. That leaves a thin layer of dust and it won’t leave marks. Worked for me.

-- Andy - Seattle USA

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#10 posted 01-21-2020 12:07 PM

Rockler Bench Cookies have the same problem.

View Peteybadboy's profile (online now)

Peteybadboy

#11 posted 01-22-2020 11:52 AM

Yoda mat. I’m going to try that. Thanks for the tip Splinter.

-- Petey

View jeffswildwood's profile

jeffswildwood

#12 posted 01-25-2020 02:22 PM

I use the grey shelf liner mesh. It doesn t leave sand off marks like you re getting but you will get a dust grid that wipes or blows off. It s lots cheaper than that stuff from Rockler.

M

- Madmark2

I use the same thing. Works great.

-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way that says "I meant to do that".

View zzzzdoc's profile

zzzzdoc

#13 posted 02-03-2020 04:38 PM

You think that’s bad. I’ve had it leave marks on finished surfaces. Those plasticizers are killers.

I use the Rockler bench cookies. Though I usually just rout on a Router table when I can..

-- Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.