ConSew CSM 1000 Sewing Machine Motor on a Drill Press

Review by Samgar posted 01-10-2020 10:56 PM 704 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 4.0
1 review total
Add my Review

ConSew CSM 1000 Sewing Machine Motor on a Drill Press ConSew CSM 1000 Sewing Machine Motor on a Drill Press ConSew CSM 1000 Sewing Machine Motor on a Drill Press Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well,

Here you have a motor being used in a manner not as the manufacturer intended. But who cares? I sure don’t. For years I had heard about folks using sewing machine motors on lathes and the like and I couldn’t understand what they meant. There was no way that those little tiny motors used on your Grandma’s singer was anywhere near strong enough. Then I acquired a industrial Singer for the paltry sum of $0.00. This machine is 100 years old with a newer motor and a clutch drive. What a horrible contraption those clutch driven machines. I hunted down replacements and found the Consew CSM 1000. Now I understand what folks have been using on their lathes and mills and the like. I can be a little slow. The though never occurred to me that there would be an industrial application for sewing machines, even though I have used many a industrial machine in my life. Did I mention that I can be a little slow?

The good:
Variable speed
Theoretically high torque (claims to be 3/4 hp.)
The ability to dial in a top speed.
The ability to feather the speed with a foot pedal.
The ability to reverse direction.
The price. At time of posting $120.00 US
Here is a Amazon link.

The bad:
You have to use a foot pedal or be more electrically inclined than I am and replace the hall sensor with a rheostat.
You have to go into a menu to change the direction. This makes tapping a slightly longer process tan if you had a tapping head that could auto reverse.

I own 2, one o my sewing machine and one on my drill press. I will likely own a 3rd, one on my bandsaw for slow speed metal cutting.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 01-11-2020 11:56 AM

Very interesting, please keep us posted how this works out in the long run.

The biggest potential issue I see is loss of torque at low rpm

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#2 posted 01-11-2020 01:31 PM

I don’t think it loses torque at low rpm. They state it as a DC servo motor. I suspect it is a 3 phase motor with a mini vfd type controller. Nearest I can tell, it is full torque at low speeds.

View Warren's profile

Warren

#3 posted 01-15-2020 03:06 AM

fyi…

here are several that allow one to change speed with a simple rotary dial.

#4 posted 01-15-2020 11:53 AM

Thank you for that list. All of those machines have a lever that attaches to a foot pedal of sorts. What I need to do is sort out how to replace the hall sensor on mine with a potentiometer to eliminate the pedal.

Thanks again.

View bobfromsanluis's profile

bobfromsanluis

#5 posted 01-20-2020 04:17 AM

I came across a foot switch that you plug any tool into that you want to control with your foot, the one I got is “deadman” type, power on while your foot is putting weight on it, lift off and the power stops. I like a foot switch for the drill press, gives me both hands free, one for the lowering handles, the other to either help hold the item being drilled, or to clear chips or whatever. The DC motor idea is interesting, would be curious to see if that would work for a small shaper where you’re not doing huge cuts with.