Heart-Starter... not from a bottle.

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 01-09-2020 11:57 AM 740 views 1 time favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Heart-Starter... not from a bottle. Heart-Starter... not from a bottle. Heart-Starter... not from a bottle. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

As a lot of us are reaching our senior years, this “Review” may save your life.

This is more a review of a concept rather than a full evaluation of a product. If you read on, you’ll understand and if you leave I’ll certainly understand.

Up front, I haven’t used the product as of yet and hope it won’t be on me. Consequently this review is based on hearsay and what little reading I have done.

Last Christmas day, 25th. Dec 2019 (and because of the time difference I expect the date to be different (format) in the States)… I was listening to talk back radio discussing listeners’ presents (that morning).
One 70+ year old couple said they bought each other a defibrillator… I echoed with the host, “one each”?… DOH! They then informed us that one was for the normal residence and the other for the holiday house.

Damn, I thought, what a great idea and ordered one on the internet in an instant. I hope I will never have the need to use it or used on me, but if I did I’d be eternally grateful… A friend later smirked and remarked it may not be much use for me… to which I replied… if you needed it, you’d be bloody grateful I had one.

Anyway, it has just arrived in two boxes… one big bugger and one bigger one,

I expected the need for 3 phase ‘lectricity… runs off a bloody battery… DOH! But then so do tasers. Needless to say I didn’t do any preliminary reading prior to ordering so I had no idea what physical dimensions to expect… The smaller box was the defib’ and the big box, the wall cabinet… well now I know (the dimensions).

Firstly I had to make room on the wall, so that ski “champion” (still skiing down that paddock) from the 1980 Australian Grass-Ski Championships had to move places,

Mounted the cabinet on the wall and after drilling the brickwork

nearly got the chance to self-test it. Connected the flashing warning light and siren, and nearly got my second test opportunity when it was activated… louder than the 2 screamers from my home surveillance alarms.
The alarm had its own replaceable battery which can optionally be activated when the door is opened.

Checked out the AED (Automated External Defibrillator),

(it has not been setup yet as I need to do a bucketload of reading first… and you know about me and reading)…

Put it into the cabinet for show and the picture shoot,

and threw up a ”cheat sheet” poster in case of emergencies,

and proceeded to do this write up….

Unfortunately not much more can be said before its maiden use other than initialising/setting-up has been imlemented, however, I can say it’s already set-up and you’d be none the wiser unless you visited me now, had a cardiac and I couldn’t zap you… yet. However, rest assured that once initiallised, it basically walks the user through the motions.

As we get older, consired… it’s comes in a pretty Woodpeckers red color… though not aluminium or in a systainer.
It cost $2,195 (Aust) and I’d rather be $2,195 poorer tomorrow, rather than have $2,195 more in my inheritance pot while the benefactors toss dirt on my pine box.

FAIW. My intentions over the next few days is to consider a letter drop to selective members/friends/professionals in the neighborhood… hmmm?

View LittleShaver's profile

LittleShaver

#1 posted 01-09-2020 01:42 PM

I bought the same AED a couple of years ago for home use. I did not get the cabinet and the unit was right around $1,000. The reasons? I was listening to NPR one morning and they had a piece on home AEDs. Three simple questions. Does your family have a history of heart disease? Check. Are you getting up there in age? Check (it was just before my 60th). Do you live in a rural area? Check.

The wife was a little surprised when my birthday gift to myself showed up, but she’s happy I got it. I guess she still likes having me around after 44 years. A side benefit is that we take it with us when we go to home based functions in the neighborhood. Most of us are getting up there and EMTs are at best 20 minutes away.

Haven’t had to use it, but glad to have it.

-- Sawdust Maker

#2 posted 01-09-2020 03:53 PM

..... Haven t had to use it, but glad to have it.
- LittleShaver

Very early days (in ownership) and as you say.. better than not, as we get older.

I’m guessing your was $US… and if I travel I’ll probably leave the cabinet bolted to the wall… I did you 3 point check four times and with a score of 12 my decision is confirmed.

I deliberately wrote this “review” as many people like me may never have considered one… until I heard that talk back on the radio…

#3 posted 01-09-2020 11:01 PM

so duckie whats the return policy for this when the missus decides it’s not worth her effort keepin you alive.not sayin she would but nice to know (wink)

View Pjonesy's profile

Pjonesy

#4 posted 01-10-2020 02:53 AM

Will it effect my pacemaker?

-- Don't tell me it can't be done.

#5 posted 01-10-2020 04:20 AM

Will it effect my pacemaker?
- Pjonesy

If your heart has stopped, the pacemaker is the least concern… however, I read that the instruction manual quotes,

and for your concern,

View cracknpop's profile

cracknpop

#6 posted 01-11-2020 05:03 AM

Thanks for sharing.
I bought one for our office through our local fire department. I think it was about $1200 US including cabinet, signs, AND training. The local fire department will even send someone to check battery annually and retrain staff as necessary.

-- Rick - I know I am not perfect, but I will keep pressing on toward the goal of becoming all I am called to be.

#7 posted 01-11-2020 05:39 AM

... I bought one for our office through our local fire department. I think it was about $1200 US…
- cracknpop

Thanks c’n’p’...
Before I heard that talk back discussion, I never gave it a second thought, but now on hindsight it’s a worthy investment for any office/establishment…

Not diminishing the beneficial gesture for offices and public places, my primary intention is to highlight to LJ members (especially the older buggers) that this may not be one of those made out of scraps cost saving venture for the home.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#8 posted 01-11-2020 03:44 PM

p’shaw, Just keep an old CRT style flyback transformer nearby, always fired up, and whenever you are feeling a bit peckish, saunter over and grab the electrodes for a good jolt of the juice….

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

#9 posted 01-11-2020 06:44 PM

-- https://dutchypatterns.com/

#10 posted 01-11-2020 10:23 PM

p shaw, Just keep an old CRT style flyback transformer nearby, always fired up, and whenever you are feeling a bit peckish, saunter over and grab the electrodes for a good jolt of the juice….

- splintergroup

Say that quietly, there may be cost saving people that are taking explicit notes as we “speak”!

- Dutchy

A real LBD’s… Let Philip buy his own!

PS. Yes… for the benefit of the non-Dutchmen and non-Dutchesses.

#11 posted 01-11-2020 11:46 PM

- splintergroup

- Dutchy

A real LBD s… Let Philip buy his own!

PS. Yes… for the benefit of the non-Dutchmen and non-Dutchesses.

- LittleBlackDuck

im with splint,ive got a battery charger that i think would work just fine.hey if it does’t ill never know-lol.

#12 posted 01-11-2020 11:58 PM

im with splint,ive got a battery charger that i think would work just fine.hey if it does t ill never know-lol.
- pottz

Yeah, and if it does work, the missus will kill you cause the electricity bill!

#13 posted 01-12-2020 12:07 AM

- pottz

Yeah, and if it does work, the missus will kill you cause the electricity bill!

- LittleBlackDuck

no she’ll just kill me because it worked period-lol.

#14 posted 01-12-2020 02:00 AM

no she ll just kill me because it worked period-lol.
- pottz

I always knew you married smart!

View mafe's profile

mafe

#15 posted 01-12-2020 01:59 PM

It might be the best invetment ever, but I hope it will never come to use. ;-)
Best thoughts,
Mads

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.