Flexible Cordless Drill System

Review by Rich posted 12-30-2019 11:38 PM 683 views 1 time favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Flexible Cordless Drill System No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is for the Bosch GSR12V-140FC Cordless Electric Screwdriver. It consists of a main driver unit and four attachments. There is a standard hex driver head, a right-angle head, a drill chuck head and an offset attachment with a hex driver mount. The right-angle attachment can accommodate any of the other three heads.

I had had my eye on a similar unit from Milwaukee, but with a $229 price tag, I was waiting for a deal to come along. Earlier in December, Amazon had a $20 off deal on the Bosch version making it a super deal at just over $100.

I have a 12V drill/driver from Makita and an 18V drill/driver from Milwaukee, but I was drawn to this piece because it means less to carry to a job site. I also wanted the offset driver and right-angle attachments badly. With the popularity of the Shaker drawer fronts these days, it’s a bear to get screws in close enough to the edge of the drawer box to make sure to hit the 3/4” frame portion of the drawer front. Sometimes I’m stuck attaching drawer fronts to factory-made drawer boxes if that’s what the customer installed and I don’t have the luxury of doing it my way. The offset head lets me get right up to the edge of the drawer box.

One feature the unit has that I really like is that it’s not an impact driver. It has a solid high-torque motor with torque settings for more precision driving. I had an old DeWalt unit that worked that way and I loved it. Alas I got tired of buying new battery packs and retired it. Impact drivers are awesome for some things, but for driving small hinge screws, etc, they are overkill. Also, some screws can’t stand up to the impact and break. That won’t happen with this driver since it’s just a steady drive.

Bosch makes quality tools and this is no exception. I expect to get many years of use out of it in the shop and on the job site.

Finally, here is a shot of the unit along with its case and the assortment of accessories I pack in there. It makes a complete one-pack kit for all sorts of cabinet work.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#1 posted 12-31-2019 01:21 AM

Interesting tool…let us know how It works after you have had it awhile

#2 posted 12-31-2019 02:00 AM

I’m always surprised when someone who has me blocked would have the nerve to reply to one of my posts. It strikes me as a bit tacky.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#3 posted 12-31-2019 03:29 AM

Interesting kit Rich. I don’t know if this is a normal problem or not but my co-worker had a set with a drill and a impact driver. Both suffered failure of the trigger after about a year of very moderate use. I was able to source out replacements and they have worked for another year. Something to keep a eye on.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

#4 posted 12-31-2019 04:55 AM

Interesting kit Rich. I don t know if this is a normal problem or not but my co-worker had a set with a drill and a impact driver. Both suffered failure of the trigger after about a year of very moderate use. I was able to source out replacements and they have worked for another year. Something to keep a eye on.

- woodbutcherbynight

Yeah, I guess any brand can have a failure or two. This kit really fits my needs so I hope it holds up. On the plus side, their ProVantageTM Protection Plan is pretty well respected.

Hey, if it dies, I’ll be doing a review for the Milwaukee offering :)

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#5 posted 12-31-2019 05:58 AM

I ended up getting this kit for the same price (maybe a few cents difference because it fluctuated so freaking much). I’m loving the offset attachment to reach those really tight spots. Hope to get many years of use out of this like you are. I know a few instagramers who rave about this set that aren’t sponsored so I hope the quality is there for the long term.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#6 posted 12-31-2019 12:32 PM

Interesting. Your review certainly has me thinking in a lot of different directions for a new driver. I’ve always had the traditional drill style, but the 4 different heads caught my eye. Guess I need to take a look on Amazon.

View bunkie's profile

bunkie

#7 posted 12-31-2019 05:18 PM

I bought this kit for my wife as a holiday present. I bought it because it fits her hand nicely. She was struggling with the cheap B&D drill she was using. She is a sculptor and casts here own bases for her work out of resins and concrete. Since she switched from painting to sculpting, she has developed a need for tools which has made buying presents so much easier for me!

-- Altruism is, ultimately, self-serving

View bbain32's profile

bbain32

#8 posted 01-03-2020 08:26 PM

I have the same kit. I have had it for a couple of months and so far it has been great, got me out of a jam a couple times where I needed the right angle head to drill/ and drive screws in a tight spot.

It is easy to switch between drilling and driving as well, if you don’t want to carry 2 tools.

#9 posted 01-05-2020 04:37 PM

.... but my co-worker had a set with a drill and a impact driver. Both suffered failure of the trigger after about a year of very moderate use. I was able to source out replacements and they have worked for another year. Something to keep a eye on.
- woodbutcherbynight

Interested to hear of your failure wbbn... I’ve had these two drills

before I migrated to Churchill which is 10 years ago and never had issues with them. Actually it was the top driver that introduced me to impact (bought the bottom one about the year before).. Used to amaze people how it would drive a 75mm screw into hardwood without pre-drilling. I have a swag of drivers now, however the former is my go to driver (outside the workshop) and neither have justified me buying my go to Fe$tool driver for the workshop (more shekels than brains). Maybe production costs have deteriorated???

This combo reviewed sounds good value.

View sansoo22's profile (online now)

sansoo22

#10 posted 01-05-2020 05:01 PM

You may have just sold me on this. Years ago I had a similar Milwaukee unit when I was a sys admin. Was the perfect tool for driving in server rack hardware without damaging anything. Could turn the dial to the exact amount of torque i needed and not worry about it.

I’m pretty much married to Ridgid tools because I can’t stand having more than one type of charge to use but this little kit could find a loop hole in my OCD brain since i can call it a specialty item. The adapters/attachments are a huge bonus at that price point.

Thanks for the review

#11 posted 01-05-2020 05:06 PM

.... I m pretty much married to Ridgid tools…..
- sansoo22

Lucky we don’t have Ridgid in Australia… otherwise we could be bigamists… I too have an affinity to marrying tools…. providing their marring influence is limited.

#12 posted 01-05-2020 05:14 PM

I m pretty much married to Ridgid tools because I can t stand having more than one type of charge to use but this little kit could find a loop hole in my OCD brain since i can call it a specialty item. The adapters/attachments are a huge bonus at that price point.

Thanks for the review

- sansoo22

I’m with you on limiting the number of battery types. That’s why I went with Milwaukee M18 due to their wide range of tools available. For this, it was either Milwaukee M12 or the Bosch, and since the Milwaukee was $100 more, the Bosch was an easy choice.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#13 posted 01-05-2020 06:30 PM

I m with you on limiting the number of battery types. That s why I went with Milwaukee M18 due to their wide range of tools available. For this, it was either Milwaukee M12 or the Bosch, and since the Milwaukee was $100 more, the Bosch was an easy choice.

- Rich

I had a Makita set, old NiCad batteries. Never looked for any upgrade till my neighbor gave me a M12 as a thank you gift for fixing his wife’s car on side of the road one evening. The weight difference and power really impressed me. Being I already had one I expanded the set for the reason you mentioned, same battery and good range of tools.

Funny how the strangest things motivate our purchase. At work we have 4 guys, to avoid confusion we all buy different brands. So we have Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee and Hitachi.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

#14 posted 01-05-2020 09:53 PM

.... I m with you on limiting the number of battery types….
- Rich

That’s why I never bought a Boeing... Didn’t wan’t to share another petrol bowser with my Rolls’... and NO, not my midrif rolls.

Skins are the way to go and the price of batteries have put a dent in the gold market, however, I have found that sometimes a special tool is enough to make me turn over to my dark(er) side and dig in for those extra shekels.

Sorry gents but sometimes too many are guided by the cheaper road, which only finishes up denting my rims and turn the Rolls into a Canardly.

Having said all the above crap… reviews like this make it easier to make a choice. I didn’t say it before and while it may not influence me (I already have a BO$CH.. and a Fe$tool – subtle weights on the $)... thanks for the info…

#15 posted 01-05-2020 10:02 PM

Indeed, Duck, I thought about mentioning the Festool offering. A quality tool no doubt but, as you can imagine, if I was balking at spending $229 on the Milwaukee version, Festool will likely never be an option for me.