Abranet Sanding Discs

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 12-13-2019 08:07 AM 1169 views 1 time favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Abranet Sanding Discs Abranet Sanding Discs Abranet Sanding Discs Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

I was abhorred to read that there is at least one person out there in the woodworking community that hasn’t even heard of Abranet sanding discs let alone use it.

Well there is a product I haven t heard of abranet I will go look iit up and educate myself.

I shall avoid all temptations of identification to preclude embarrassing the author….

Now don’t get Abranet confused with Abralon sanding pads,

which is foam backed sanding pads/disks.

There are many brands of Abranet on the market (well I know of two) with some better than others… Even Fe$tool have a line of Abranets.

They range from free (if you’re a good kleptomaniac) to about $1.50 per sheet (if you are too bleeding lethargic to shop around). While they can cost quite a bit more than “traditional” holey discs, with proper use they will last twice as long (more on proper this later). Originally I used to bulk buy on rolls, cut the circles and punch the holes in them… when adding my labor cost, hole punch(es) and jigs to hold the bulk roll flat, I was on a fools errand.

I use Mirka brand discs. This is primarily because they are readily available at local (Melbourne) wood shows, where I always make a bee line to their stand to stock up. I do tend to stock pile

I vaguely remember (anything) paying $60 /50 pads which was quite cheaper than the current $76 /50 (... and out of stock to boot).

The beauty of these pads is that there are no holes that need to be aligned to all my variety of sanders

and the sanding swarf gets captured in the mesh, leaving a clear sanding surface. With careful use they will last at least twice as long as traditional discs and are easily to shakeen, beaten or air blasted for continued use.

I say careful use only because being a “net” it does not have any reinforcement around the perimeter and if you are not too careful you can easily catch an edge which will cause the disc to rip from the circumference inwards.
A couple of discs relegated for manual labor,

I always suggest that if you tend to relive sharp edges, you chamfer them prior to sanding.
Nevertheless I can use spent disc (intact or torn) in these automotive sanding pads explicitly designed to take the shape of the disc.

Another benefit of abranet discs, if you use the above mentioned pads, there are no holes that can get caught on an edge/corner when manually sanding,

I have a swag of old non-abranet discs (without holes) that I consider a single use and then toss them if only to deplete my redundant stock,

unfortunately because of these, I unintentialy tend to extend the life cycle of some of my ratty abranet discs.

Now if there is anyone out there hard of hearing, I have made a short video with sound that is guaranteed to assist you in embracing your ailment. And those visually challenged, will confirm that you are missing nothing.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#1 posted 12-13-2019 09:12 AM

Great review. I love my abranets. I’m assuming your “proper” use is to avoid sanding on the edges due to no reinforcement? I do like the idea of giving them a second life on a pad. Might do this if the paper is salvageable. Good tip.

A couple of things I have experienced when using these.
1) You need to have a good shop vac suction to prevent the mesh from clogging. I created an interesting setup of my shop vac/dust deputy combo with 2 blastgates. I lost some CFM’s but it worked…well…it Looked like it worked. Lost suction power clogged the abranets to no end and I didn’t realize this till later.

2) You need a backer pad for these. You will wear out the hook & loop of your sander pad far faster than using a standard holed sandpaper. I didn’t think much of this till I started seeing my pad lose some grip. Not expensive at all and will save money in the long run.

#2 posted 12-13-2019 09:44 AM

A couple of things I have experienced when using these.
1) You need to have a good shop vac suction….
2) You need a backer pad for these….
- Rayne

Good tips Rayne man.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#3 posted 12-13-2019 12:02 PM

Mirka Abranet is the only ROS paper that I use. Great stuff and a wide range of grits as well. I also have the 5” Deros ROS to help with my carpal tunnel and arthritis issues. Not cheap, but well worth the cost.

#4 posted 12-13-2019 01:07 PM

I also limit my ROS use to Abranet EarlS... All my obsolete non-Abranet discs are now purely hand jobs.

I’m still obsessed by my Mirka Deros ROS, however, with a bowed head I have to fess up that my Fe$tool ROTEX does leave it for dead (at least in it’s shadow)... I hate to abandon the Mirka so I do use it as a backup on finer grades so I change ROSs rather than grits… though with the Abranet disc changes are a no brainner.

My Fe$tool ETS-150, affectionately called Thunderbird 3,

has been relegated to workshop visitor’s play thing.

I have just ordered boxes of 120, 180 and 240 grit of 80mm x 133mm sheets of Abranet for my Fe$tool RS400 sander,

Just can’t get enough of them (Abranet)...

#5 posted 12-13-2019 02:48 PM

i cant believe there is one among us that hasn’t heard of this ducks,could he possibly be a mutual friend perhaps,someone closer to you than i,somewhat well known here,hmmmmm,well ive got no idea-lol.
but hey i agree about the abranet totally it’s all i use now.the torn edges though are an issue if you hit a sharp edge but can be avoided if careful.ive been trying the product made by freud diablo,seems pretty good so far.so you say the rotex kills it over deros huh,you tryin to get me to buy another sander ducks?

#6 posted 12-13-2019 04:43 PM

.... you say the rotex kills it over deros huh,you tryin to get me to buy another sander ducks?
- pottz

All I’m trying to say is that the ROTEX is in a class of it’s own… If you want the best, reach into your lobster pottzy wallet (like a lobster pot… the money goes in but doesn’t come out), alternatively, if your current ROS gives up the ghost and spits sawdust, don’t let the price of the Fe$tool ROTEX preclude it from consideration for a replacement…

#7 posted 12-13-2019 05:44 PM

- pottz

All I m trying to say is that the ROTEX is in a class of it s own… If you want the best, reach into your lobster pottzy wallet (like a lobster pot… the money goes in but doesn t come out), alternatively, if your current ROS gives up the ghost and spits sawdust, don t let the price of the Fe$tool ROTEX preclude it from consideration for a replacement…

- LittleBlackDuck

not looking tp replace anything,im like you got 10 of everthing-lol.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#8 posted 12-13-2019 06:27 PM

- LittleBlackDuck

I thought the Deros was spendy…... Of course Festool has that beautiful green color – they must distill it from $100USD bills.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#9 posted 12-13-2019 10:56 PM

well its Merry Christmas for me guys!

Eat your heart out Ted.

I have to let you know that I have bequeath (14,253,000 Dollars) to you for good work.
I’m Mrs. Melissa Mendez, I’m under-going my final surgery on CANCER.
I have little time left, this I know, so I have made this decision,...
Kindly contact my attorney
Tell him that I have WILLED 14.258M to you by quoting my personal
reference number JJ/MMS/953/5018/GwrI/316us/uk.
Barrister Blake Johnson.
Attorney at-Law.
Blake Johnson & Associates LLP
Email: [email protected]
Flat 1, Lewy House.1 Langley Park,London NW7 2AA. United Kingdom.
Thanks.
Mrs. Melissa Mendez

Yee haa I am in the money at last
First up will be a complete Mirka system bigger and better than LBD’s
that is of course after Melissa gets a big slobbery tonguie from me!

I might even consider letting you keep my lobster pot wallet I dropped in your shop many years ago

—Regards Rob

-- Regards Rob

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#10 posted 12-13-2019 11:45 PM

-- Regards Rob

#11 posted 12-13-2019 11:58 PM

well i totally agree about,”rubbing the wood” rob,and you know youve done a good job when it “feels good” wouldn’t you agree?

#12 posted 12-14-2019 12:11 AM

not looking tp replace anything,im like you got 10 of everthing-lol.
- pottz

OK pottzy... I cry uncleuncle... UNCLE (in case you didn’t hear the first one)... then I’m now spruiking… time for number 11.

rc, don’t listen to pottzy... I only have 1 blue night shirt.

... they must distill it from $100USD bills.
- EarlS

True, and they have 22 carat gold internal gears and not the poopsy plastic like others.

Seriously, I feel that its dual function actually “justifies” this particular Fe$tools beefy (or should I say Unicorn) price.
A 5.00 and 8.00 orbit Deros is a tad more expensive that the ROTEX. If pottzy only bought ROTEX, he’d only need 5 of them.

I have actually driven a Rolls back in 1979… it’s not 1,000 time better than the humble beetle (when comparing times cost), however, you do notice the difference in comfort… and handling… and… and… and… and… and… and… (ad infinitum).

All in the eye of the beholder, Hag or maiden?

..... I have to let you know that I have bequeath (14,253,000 Dollars) to you for good work….
- robscastle

Looks like Mellisa loved me more… She bequethed me $14,253,001… $US…
I did mention pottzy to her before her passing, but she advised me that someone that already has 10 ROSs doesn’t need a donation…

#13 posted 12-14-2019 01:13 AM

- robscastle

abra… abrA… abRA… aBRA… ABRA… ABRA-cadabra... what the hell was the original article about again?

#14 posted 12-14-2019 01:37 AM

- LittleBlackDuck

ya gotta watch the vid ducks to understand where rc gets his woodworking knowledge or…...something!

#15 posted 12-14-2019 03:41 AM

- pottz

I’ve watched the video nearly as many times as vinos this week… and it’s Saturday… that’s one helluva guts full… as for the video, I’m getting a helluva eye full, and your comment has forced me to extracate myself from the next replay so I can reply to you… now leave me alone… i’m off back to the video.