Freud SD608 8" Dial-a-Width Dado

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 12-12-2019 12:22 AM 861 views 2 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Freud SD608 8" Dial-a-Width Dado Freud SD608 8" Dial-a-Width Dado Freud SD608 8" Dial-a-Width Dado Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

One of the better things of evaluating an item many months after purchase, you tend to forget the often exorbitant price you paid for it.. if it works. As I’ve given this item 5 stars it goes without saying that I do not begrudge the cost. I had to order it form USA and I did begrudge the $111.00 shipping cost, however, Amazon did advertise free shipping at the time (… even internationally) and they refunded my shipping cost after being challenged.

I decided to review this item as I plan to make a few related posts.

I find that setup is a breeze and probably get an 85-95% first time hit… the 10% range is governed by the number of vinos I’ve consumed. Nevertheless, the 1st. adjustment has yielded 100% satisfaction.

Previously, I used to use a CMT 8” dado set, which required using shims to fine tune the width of cut,

Depending on the adjustment required, the shims may need to be staggered which would require removing several blades

On the Freud, adjustment and fine turning requires the use of this setup matrix and the dial turns specified gets you those 95%+ achievement.

Usually most errors occur in potential losing count once the turns pass 2. Most adjustments only require the removeal of the dial blade and a simple 1 or 2 + or click twist(s) which is not that easy to stuff up (by normal people) when you have the sheet in front of you,

Tne downside is that you do need a special spanner (supplied in the kit)

to step over the dial

and if you misplace it, can cause many hours of frustrating searching as you always put it in the last place you look for it. This did slightly frustrate me as I have grown accustomed to using a 22mm ratchet spanner which I use extensively for normal TS operations.

Bacause of the dial, you need to consider whether it will fit onto your particular TS.

though the dial blade replaces you normal TS washer.

The one thing I will criticise is the shitty plastic packing that is supplied with the unit.

The soft brittle plastic breaks far too easily. I have decked it out with MDF separators (another blog to follow… may retro link to this review) which add some extra weight to the box but not enough to be of a concern… after all I won’t be taking the box on my next marathon run.

Just as an aside, there is a Woodpecker dado setup jig that I use which makes setup even easier. I plan to follow this up by a review on that item as well.

One other word of advice, consider your intent. This 8” set has a depth capacity of 54mm on my tablesaw which uses a 6mm thick ZCI. Only once I have needed a 50mm deep dado… most, if not 100%, will be satisfied with the cheaper 6” set.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am not poo-pooing the BCT Kerf Maker,

(pictured with it’s setup/operational jig… of course this duck had to try it out and I’m not famous enough to get test samples), however, I will always prefer a one pass operation to a multi pass if possible (excluding router and depth of cut operations).

View crowie's profile

crowie

#1 posted 12-12-2019 01:09 AM

Thank you Ducky for the write up..

And well done upon getting the freight/shipping costs refunded….
[With the Aussie Dollar at about US$0.67 the currency conversation is a killer]

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#2 posted 12-12-2019 01:24 AM

Ah yes the dado stack a item either hated or loved by many and in some cases illegal.

Agree a bloody pain in the pos to set up.
How i overcame some of the annoying aspects was to use a threaded bolt to pre check the width.

Still scared the KYW outta me so its dosnt get much use theses days.

I found i never really used deep wide cuts anyway, and for the frequency I used the polish plane on the table saw was just as quick.

However i did have shower board to make one day so I also bought so I bought a Freud box joint set

two blades easy set up 4 widths

-- Regards Rob

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

#3 posted 12-12-2019 08:17 AM

From Italy? to the USA to Australia. This Dado has been all over the world. Did you know that Freud is part of the Bosch group? Also Diablo is part of this group.

-- https://dutchypatterns.com/

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#4 posted 12-12-2019 10:32 AM

That’s 2 blades 3 widths not 4.
5.2mm 6.35 mm and 9.52mm

-- Regards Rob

View oldrivers's profile

oldrivers

1959 posts in 2172 days

#5 posted 12-12-2019 11:12 AM

Thanks have a great day.

-- Soli Deo gloria!

#6 posted 12-12-2019 12:39 PM

That s 2 blades 3 widths not 4.
5.2mm 6.35 mm and 9.52mm
- robscastle

I know… I have same set (go figure)... didn’t want to embarrass you!

View pottz's profile

pottz

#7 posted 12-12-2019 10:52 PM

nice review ducks i have this dado set myself saves a hell of a lot of time,and worth every shekel as you would say.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

#8 posted 12-13-2019 01:08 PM

- pottz

How did your red plastic form-fit insert wear? I must have the heavier blades as mine crumbled under the weight… a couple of dropsies didn’t help either.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#9 posted 12-13-2019 02:17 PM

- pottz

How did your red plastic form-fit insert wear? I must have the heavier blades as mine crumbled under the weight… a couple of dropsies didn t help either.

- LittleBlackDuck

so far it’s holding up,ive had the set for about 2 years now.maybe you got the aussie version,they know your never gonna return it.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View KTNC's profile

KTNC

#10 posted 12-20-2019 02:37 PM

Excellent review! Thanks for taking the time to do it.

#11 posted 12-20-2019 08:04 PM

Excellent review! Thanks for taking the time to do it.
- KTNC

Thanks for reading KTNC.... It’s only my view, however, for a woodworking hacker I’ve had enough “experience” with a variety of dado blades to appreciate the benefits.

Whether positive or negative, these types of review are only going to help others decide… after all, the manufacturer is not going to say their product is crap!

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

#12 posted 12-21-2019 08:16 PM

Nice review! Looks like the set I bought for my SawStop JSS. The outside diameter is a little over 8”, about 8-3/16”, at least on the set I bought…and returned because the blades hit the brake, which is not adjustable on the JSS. I discovered this while installing the blades. The Ventura Woodcraft store manager was gracious enough to take it back. Unused, obviously! Too bad it wouldn’t work. I like that dial-a-yield feature. I bought an Amana set that uses shims…and measured it before I bought it. :D

-- Steven.......Random Orbital Nailer

#13 posted 12-22-2019 07:15 AM

...and returned because the blades hit the brake….
- Dark_Lightning

That’s a bummer D-L... the dial is miles ahead of shims.

However, seeing as how you are now “reduced” to shims I wrote a review about the Woodpecker Dado setup jig. Now I’m not necessarily spruiking the item, unless of course you have the shekels to spare, you could probably make up a shop made clone that will simplify setup befor the blades are mounted on the TS spindle.

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

#14 posted 12-22-2019 06:20 PM

That’s an interesting tool, but I have a cheat sheet that came with the Amana set that tells me the color(s) of shim(s) I need to get a certain width of dado. I read the review, but I’ll read it again to see if it’s worth buying. I almost didn’t buy the dado set, since I make so few- or at least didn’t, because I would just make multiple passes with the saw blade (which isn’t flat on top, so takes more cleanup). If I made sense, there.

-- Steven.......Random Orbital Nailer