Worthless (at least for me)

Review by DannyW posted 12-07-2019 12:41 AM 1568 views 0 times favorited 47 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Worthless (at least for me) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this adapter set in hopes of connecting at lease SOME of my small power tools to my 2 1/2” shop vac but it doesn’t fit anything and the hose is far too heavy to be useful. I have got to quit buying stuff from Rocker as I have never found anything that I am satisfied with when buying their brands. Just another disappointing waste of money. Why can’t too makers coup with a standard size?

-- DannyW

View DannyW's profile

DannyW

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#1 posted 12-07-2019 02:56 AM

I agree. Have found little to no use for this product.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#2 posted 12-07-2019 03:09 AM

It has found use for me. Admitedly it took alot of fooling around with trying different combinations, but I got it to fit my bandsaw to my shop vac, and a 1/4 sheet random orbit sander I had. However, it takes me about 5 minutes to figure out to hook it each time I use the bandsaw or sander…LOL!

Because it didn’t solve all of my “connecting my shop vac to all my tools with dust ports” problem, I got a hose adapter for my Rigid shopvac that dropped it to 1 1/2 (it was on sale about 1/2 price), and that has made a world of difference, as 1 1/2 seems to work more often, plus it came with a nice set of vac brushes and extensions, and the hose is more flexible and longer.

Good luck!

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

View mel52's profile

mel52

#3 posted 12-07-2019 07:34 AM

I have had this set for quite a while and find them useful on MOST of my electric hand tools. I did have to try different connections to make them fit. I also order stuff from Rockler’s and haven’t had a problem with their merchandise. If you don’t like the stuff, they do have a return policy. Mel

-- MEL, Kansas

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#4 posted 12-07-2019 12:33 PM

I have the Dust Right 4” handle and equipment adapters. Your comment about odd sizes is exactly right. The handle opening is just enough larger that a normal 4” fitting won’t work. I’m sure they think that you will have to buy their product and only their product due to the odd sizes. In fact, such deliberate size differences serve to drive folks away to find something that works for more than just one brand.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#5 posted 12-07-2019 02:51 PM

I have a love hate for this item. Love the connectors, but hate the hose. It collapses so hard when in use that I have to stretch the hose manually and hold on to it to even use it. There are additional connectors you can buy to better fit other tools if the kit doesn’t have what you need. I want to chuck the hose but feel I could use it for some other non-vacuum related stuff. Not sure yet.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#6 posted 12-07-2019 03:26 PM

I use the Rockler setup for my ROS, connected to a dust deputy and shop vac. The adapters work well enough for my needs, as I never swap the setup between tools. I fully agree that the hose is way too heavy. I can see it being a benefit if it gets dragged on the floor a lot (thicker will last longer), but otherwise it is just a hinderance.

View ShopCat's profile

ShopCat

#7 posted 12-07-2019 04:41 PM

When it comes to dust collection fittings, brain damage is a likely result. I do get what I need from Rockler, but I take the piece I am trying to fit with me when I visit. I also bought a roll of very good gaffer tape, and find if you pad enough you do eventually get a tight fit. That said I looked at but did not buy the Rockler adapters, there is a different brand/set on Amazon. Centec System 94192. Fits my port on my shop ducting, and the adapters so far work with Porter, Festool, and DeWalt. I had to do the gaffer tape padout to fit my dust port on my router table fence.

-- ShopCat

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#8 posted 12-07-2019 05:06 PM

It is absolutely incredible that there is NO STANDARD for dust collection of hoses. Even parts from the same supplier do not fit.

I would love to have a 3D printer to make my own fitting that actually work. My son has printed a couple that fit great.

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

#9 posted 12-08-2019 03:48 AM

Have it too, it’s just ok. Definitely too heavy, and the soft end that “adapts” to different sizes eventually stretches out too much to fit the smaller stuff. The step-adapter works well though. As for the 4” stuff, as much as I do LOVE the dust right quick connect system, it is INSANE all the different micro differences between sizes out there. My solution? Buy smaller, use gorilla tape wrapped a few times.

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#10 posted 12-08-2019 03:59 PM

I bought this 2 years ago and never use it because the hose is so heavy it’s pointless to connect it to a ROS. It just makes it harder to use the sander. I would have taken it back, but I had sitting around for a few months before I tried using it. I didn’t think Rockler would take it back.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

View Mike_D_S's profile

Mike_D_S

#11 posted 12-08-2019 04:06 PM

This fit issue is sort of the opposite of what I found. The 2 1/2 inch adapter slipped tight into a Ridgid coupling and stays nice and tight going to the DD and shop vac.

The rubber ends fit enough of my small hand tools (Makita track saw, Milwaukee ROS primarily) that I never had an issue, but may be a brand by brand thing.

I agree on the hose weight though, I broke down and got the Rockler dust right cord and hose holder and it works well for bench top work to keep the weight of the hose from dragging itself off the workspace all the time.

I wouldn’t give it a ringing thumbs up, but it’s worked ok for me.

-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

#12 posted 12-09-2019 02:16 AM

I put these on my list for Christmas last year and got them. Not going to repeat the comments above, I agree with them.
My rant is about the companies (not just Rockler or just these adapters) that put these products out that perform so poorly. You would think that someone in the product development chain would question if they should risk their brand name on the product. My thought is that at some point the product was put on a conference table for an actual woodworker to touch and give a thought. Logic would have been to take some early samples to workshops and get feedback from an actual user. Over and over some really poor to useless items come out that should have never seen the light of day.
Steve.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#13 posted 12-09-2019 02:23 AM

Question for all – myself included – do we go back and leave appropriate product reviews on our purchases, both good and bad?

View DannyW's profile

DannyW

#14 posted 12-09-2019 02:34 AM

- EarlS

I have left reviews for Rocker before and they’ve been removed and others have said such. It seems they don’t like bad reviews and will delete them.

-- DannyW

View Mike_D_S's profile

Mike_D_S

#15 posted 12-09-2019 03:18 AM

- EarlS

If you have a critical review, go ahead and post it. There are a lot of reviews after a week or so, but I like to see reviews after a few months or more usage, good or bad.

Mike

-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......