Perfect for the Basement woodworker!

Review by DreganTepis posted 11-19-2019 09:39 PM 1259 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Perfect for the Basement woodworker! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since Kreg came out with its own track saw and project table last year, I’ve seen a lot of people bad-mouthing it. Some confuse it for the Accu-Cut, where you add a circular saw to a guide. Others take the route of ‘Get A Festool’ or ‘Get a real table saw’. Let me come right out and say it. It is not a real table saw OR a Festool competitor, and that is a good thing.

Where I live we get hail 3 seasons out of the year, and snow the 4th. So I keep my cars in the garage, and I woodwork out of my basement. Anything coming in or out of my shop has to fit up a flight of stairs with 3 turns. not just my projects, but the tools too. Most cast iron machines are out of the question, as I value my and my friends backs. I have tried to get by with a job site saw… loud and terrible dust collection, and a small table that has been outgrown by the size of my projects. Add this to my wife hating the dust and noise, and I have been desperate for a better solution.

I purchased the ACS Master System, and I am very happy with it. The package was missing 1 box of parts. However a quick call to Kreg customer service got the missing part shipped out. Thanks again, Billy!

Set up was easy. Follow the instructions and you’ll have perfectly square cuts within a short while (checked with 2 engineer squares and a combination square). I hooked the saw to a shop-vac via a Rockler universal hose. Dust collection is terrific. Cut quality is good enough that it can be used for jointing, saving you a machine to buy. Larger pieces feel much safer than using a job site saw. I’ve had flawless bevels and miters. It has gone through 4/4 bubinga and 8/4 walnut with ease in a single pass. More than that and I would suggest 2 passes. The noise level is quieter than the shop-vac, and doesn’t carry through the house. The leg height is adjustable for ~3” in height. The build has a lot of plastic, but feels solid. I think the Festool track saw would be better for the professional, but that is not what I believe the target user for the ACS. Also I would say the table is better than the Festool! It is bigger, cheaper, and much more stable.

I believe the Kreg ACS would replace most of potential table saw usage for a hobbyist. There are only three functions I can think of that a TS would be better… Long rips (this can be done on a dedicated saw, or by removing the track and adding extensions), dado stack work (can be done on a router table), and shallow bevels where the piece goes through the saw vertically against a high auxiliary fence (can be done with hand tools).

$900 for a safe, quiet, clean solution that gives perfect cuts and is light enough to get up and down stairs. I would suggest this setup to any basement woodworker.

-- Red pencil, red marker, marking knife... doesn't mater, the wood will end up the same color.

View DreganTepis's profile

DreganTepis

View Bill_Steele's profile

Bill_Steele

#1 posted 11-20-2019 03:09 PM

Nice review DreganTepis. I feel your pain with regard to the basement workshop. I’m in the same situation with having to get everything down/up the basement stairs. I’m glad you found a solution that will work for you and your family.

View WillliamMSP's profile

WillliamMSP

#2 posted 11-24-2019 02:26 AM

Very cool – nice to hear a user review from one of these in the wild. I found out about the system a few days ago and most reviews are very positive (well, from the people that have actually used them). I went to my local Woodcraft today and got to lay hands on one – I think it’ll meet my needs, so I’ll be ordering one shortly (Woodcraft also has some bonus goods thrown in through the end of the year, basically an extension to help with handling larger sheet goods).

-- Practice makes less sucky. (Bill, Minneapolis, MN)

View EvilSpammerLocked's profile

EvilSpammerLocked

#3 posted 11-26-2019 06:47 AM

Dear Woodworker, do you want to learn woodworking? or gain additional experience?

Good day, dear woodworker-participant lumberjocks com … and we want to encourage the retired master craftsman to finally reveal his secret archive over
16,000 plans – more details on the link ~ http://3weekiet.com/woodworkingrmr ~ click here

-- Teds Scammer: Do not click or interact.

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

#4 posted 12-02-2019 02:06 AM

I have convinced myself to get one and then talked myself out again due to no “real world” reviews that I could truly trust. On tool website they say the Makita, Festool and Kreg tracks all work, so my Makita is a keeper and cost avoidance. Your review has probably pushed me into action. Thanks.

The guy at Woodcraft ticked me off a while back, they have both the Kreg an Festool. He was very disapproving of the Kreg and pro Festool to an extreme even though he personally had neither. I asked why the store carried it and he said bozos in corporate. So I wrote a satirical text to “corporate” about their bozos forcing the stores to carry junk, never got a response.

Several friends are professionals in woodworking and need the Festool products, but for the home workshop my thought is they are excessive. I would rather not cry, than just cry once.
Steve.

View Tokenkauph's profile

Tokenkauph

#5 posted 12-05-2019 07:34 PM

I also recently picked up the Kreg Track Saw and ACS and I like it a lot. It is very easy to get dead on repeatable cuts from this system and it folds away and does not take up much space when not in use. It was also much cheaper than the Festool products. I did not get the complete package as I the did not want the cart it mounts to. I ordered the Track Saw package that came with an extra 62 inch track for the the same cost as the single track package from Amazon which I linked below for $398 then purchased the Table Top for $349 and built my own folding legs for it. I did this because I wanted it take up as little space as possible when not in use. .

Kreg Track Saw with 2 62in Tracks