Whiteside Brass Set Up Gauges

Review by PPK posted 11-11-2019 05:13 PM 957 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Whiteside Brass Set Up Gauges No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m posting this review because these simple “tools” are perhaps one of the best $10 I’ve spent in a long time. These bars save a lot of time, and frustration.

Simple brass bars in imperial increments.

Use them for setting up the router, the table saw, mortising machine… anything that needs to be lined up accurately.
Per my calipers, they are exactly the dimensions advertised.

I used to use my rule or tape measure to get things set up, but I often ran into a lot of trial and error doing this. Set up blocks can simply be placed in between the blade and fence, and tightened down. Perfect setup.
Unsure if you’ve chopped enough in a mortise? See if the set up block slides in!

The sizes included are: 1/8”, 3/16”, 1/4”, 3/8”, and 1/2” square

If I need say, 5/16” which is not included in the set, I just stack the 1/8 and the 3/16.

-- Pete

View PPK's profile

PPK

#1 posted 11-11-2019 06:17 PM

I have the same set, and they are invaluable for shop setup. So much easier than trying to use a combination square.

#2 posted 11-11-2019 06:25 PM

I’ve used the Whiteside set for years they are great but I’ve recently upgraded to this set that has many sizes between and beyond the whiteside set.

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#3 posted 11-12-2019 12:27 AM

I totally love my set. I wonder how I ever got along without them.

View mdhills's profile

mdhills

#4 posted 11-12-2019 03:52 PM

A quick note that there are two sets of bars from whiteside—the 9800 that are 2” long and the 9810 that are 4” long.

I’ve heard some people save a bit of money by buying shaft keys, so that is another option.

View PPK's profile

PPK

#5 posted 11-12-2019 04:36 PM

I ve heard some people save a bit of money by buying shaft keys, so that is another option.

- mdhills

That’s an interesting thought! I wonder how dimensionally accurate shaft keys are. Now when I go home I’m going to have to get out my calipers and check some shaft keys!!

-- Pete

View Sawdustonmyshoulder's profile

Sawdustonmyshoulder

#6 posted 11-12-2019 05:45 PM

Hey, Whiteside…... please make a metric set!!!!

I went to Harbor Freight and bought metric shaft keys. I went through a couple of sets using a digital calipers and found the closest ones I could. They are not dead-on accurate. Never too big, though. If they were a bit big, I could sand or file them closer to size. Maybe a couple thousands off but good enough for government work.

-- The more skilled you are at something, the worse you are at it when someone is watching.

View Arcola60's profile

Arcola60

#7 posted 11-12-2019 07:06 PM

I have the Whiteside 4” set and the I-gage 15 pc set. Both are spot-on!

View Andre's profile

Andre

#8 posted 11-13-2019 07:25 AM

Have been looking at some set up blocks for a few years, the L.V. one are a bit pricey? May be time to go for it!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View HokieKen's profile

HokieKen

#9 posted 11-13-2019 03:50 PM

- mdhills

That s an interesting thought! I wonder how dimensionally accurate shaft keys are. Now when I go home I m going to have to get out my calipers and check some shaft keys!!

- PPK

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#10 posted 11-14-2019 12:49 PM

Jim – how long are those i-gage set up bars? The set I have is made from machine steel and they are only 3” long which is too short.

Never mind – I just saw that they are 3” long. Even though they are short, I think I will add them to the Christmas list. Anyone know of longer versions? Say 6”?

View HokieKen's profile

HokieKen

#11 posted 11-14-2019 01:37 PM

- EarlS

Not exactly the same but these are what I have and use from time to time.

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

View EvilSpammerLocked's profile

EvilSpammerLocked

#12 posted 11-26-2019 06:50 AM

Dear Woodworker, do you want to learn woodworking? or gain additional experience?

Good day, dear woodworker-participant lumberjocks com … and we want to encourage the retired master craftsman to finally reveal his secret archive over
16,000 plans – more details on the link ~ http://3weekiet.com/woodworkingrmr ~ click here

-- Teds Scammer: Do not click or interact.