Casters work ok, but better with add ons

Review by jbmaine posted 11-11-2019 10:27 AM 726 views 4 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Casters work ok, but better with add ons No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi everyone, Some of you might have seen one of my latest builds, A butcher block top assembly table etc. Like most everything else in my shop, I wanted it mobile. This caster set was on sale, so I ordered it. A lot of reviews said it was possible for the wheel to get caught partially under the bench leg if mounted were the instructions said to. Also, raising them one at a time could cause stress on them ( one review said the caster broke doing this, too much weight on one caster). Many users connected two casters together with steel or wood so as to raise or lower two together. When I mounted these on my bench/table I raised the hole pattern up about 3/8 ” higher than the instructions called for. This eliminated any possibility of then catching on the leg of the bench. I also connected two together with a strip of oak. As is, the bench rolled around fine and pushing down to lower the casters up was ok but, hooking my foot on it to raise them up was hard on my foot and made the bench drop with a bang. So I made a ” fork” to allow me to raise and lower them by hand. This is much easier and a more controlled way of doing it. It’s been a few weeks using this caster set and so far I’m very happy with them. I will say, I don’t think I would pay full price for them but that’s just me. Please don’t mind the bench, it’s still a work in progress.

View jbmaine's profile

jbmaine

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#1 posted 11-11-2019 11:14 AM

Good idea. I put these on my router table. It is tough on the foot to lower them. I have not joined them, but your system is something I will try and do. Thanks for posting.

-- Petey

View Artie623's profile

Artie623

#2 posted 11-11-2019 07:35 PM

I used them only on the bench I use for hand-planing as “regular” casters will allow the rocking of my bench during that process. They are a little finicky, but as the bench I used them for is perhaps my least moved bench, and the fact that they serve well to prevent walking and shimmy during hand planing, maker these well worth while.

View BurlyBob's profile (online now)

BurlyBob

#3 posted 11-12-2019 05:33 PM

I’ve seen these before and read about them. I’m still not sure they will be the best for my purposes. Are there any others out there a bit more heavy duty?

View UpstateNYdude's profile

UpstateNYdude

#4 posted 11-13-2019 02:58 PM

View Buckeyes85's profile

Buckeyes85

#5 posted 11-17-2019 11:16 PM

Thanks for sharing. I have these as well and really like the joining and fork idea – i dont like the racking that happens when you raise them individually and the bang going down is simply unacceptable.

View RCW's profile

RCW

#6 posted 11-22-2019 06:38 PM

I’ve never used these, any chance they would work okay on metal legs? I’ve considered using these on the Grizzly G0634XP combo planer/jointer I just purchased instead of a mobile base.

View DrDirt's profile

DrDirt

#7 posted 11-27-2019 08:53 PM

Neat solution, though I see myself using my foot to engage the casters, while ‘lifting’ on the bench with my hands to not overstress the connecting bar…. same when lowering, I would use a bit of muscle power to slow the lowering of the bench than to have it ‘plunk’ down.

Thinking about these casters with the same set up for our oneway 1224 lathe. since its base is enclosed on 3 sides, rather than ‘legs’.. perse

-- “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain