Rockler Silicone Mat

Review by Brit posted 11-08-2019 12:10 AM 591 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Silicone Mat Rockler Silicone Mat Rockler Silicone Mat Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m sure many of you already have and use a silicone mat in your shop, but just in case there are still some die hards chasing their sharpening stones across their bench or scraping glue from places it has no right to be, I would highly recommend this product sold by Rockler.

Althugh you can pick up silicone mats pretty easily, this is a very good product and for me the dimensions (15” x 30” x 1/8” thick) suited the space where I wanted to put it. Rockler also make a bigger version (23 1/2×30 1/4” x 1/8”) which is a good size to go on most workbenches for glue-ups. An added advantage of the bigger size is that if you buy more than one, you can lock them together to create an even bigger size to cope with bigger glue ups. Normal woordworking glue will just peel off once dry, but they say not to use them with CA glue.

I primarly bought mine to roll out under my water stones.

Even though I use rubberized trays to hold my stones, I’ve found they can still creep around a bit when sharpening and there is always some overspray that goes on the bench when wetting the stones. This mat stops any slippage and because one surface of the mat has little ridges, splashes are also contained and my bench stays clean and dry.

I also use it with my oil stones and bench strops.

After use, you just rinse it under a tap if needed and roll it up for storage. Since silicone does not have a memory, you can rest assured it will roll out perfectly flat the next time you use it.

In the US, you can obviously get one from Rockler.com. Enter ‘silicone’ in the search. They have a little video there you might also like to watch.
In Europe, you can get one from Yandles.co.uk, although I believe they only sell the smaller size.

I am really happy with my purchase and this product gets a big thumbs up from me.

-- Andy - Old Chinese proverb says: "If you think something can't be done, don't interrupt man who is doing it."

View Brit's profile

Brit

View BB1's profile

BB1

#1 posted 11-08-2019 02:32 AM

Bought one recently when on sale and have used it just a bit so far. Seems much heavier than another mat I had.

View ShopCat's profile

ShopCat

#2 posted 11-08-2019 02:49 AM

Bought one during the recent sale. Sort of felt it was almost a frivolity, Rockler got me again type thing, but I have been using it the past week for both glue-ups and sharpening with waterstones and I now am glad I got it. It is heavy, and it is large, and those are both good things.

-- ShopCat

View northwoodsman's profile

northwoodsman

#3 posted 11-08-2019 01:45 PM

I like the fact that it has no “memory” so it always lays flat.

-- NorthWoodsMan

-- ~Tony

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#5 posted 11-08-2019 03:11 PM

I use yoga mats for all my anti-skid and soft surface needs since they were about $5 each on sale. They are quite durable, but I’d never get them near glue or other “wet work” since they would become a mess.

The silicone mat looks ideal for these messy uses! I have the Rockler silicone glue kit and really like the way glue will peel right off (or even with a blast of compressed air)

View Knotheadwilly's profile

Knotheadwilly

#6 posted 11-08-2019 04:33 PM

I bought one, loved it, and then bought another. It is a simple product with a simple purpose and it does it very well.

View Combo Prof's profile

Combo Prof

#7 posted 11-08-2019 04:36 PM

I’ve been using the Rockler Silicone Mat for year or so for gluing up small projects. And I agree they are great.

For sharpening I’ve been using some left over shelf liner pieces I have. They also don’t have memory but they have holes. See for example these. They roll/fold up smaller then the Rockler Mat. So good for traveling. But if your taking your stones, then I guess you haye room in your luggage for the Rockler Mat too.

-- Don K, (Holland, Michigan)

View OnhillWW's profile

OnhillWW

#8 posted 11-08-2019 07:02 PM

Great mat. I use it with the smooth side up for gluing (easy to remove glue from) and textured side up for other work. Fits my TS top nicely so it protects the saw table surface and stays put when I’m using it for a work surface..

-- Cheap is expensive! - my Dad

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#9 posted 11-09-2019 08:42 PM

I also have the mat. I have used it twice now. It works well to keep glue off my table saw outfeed table.

-- Petey

View socrbent's profile

socrbent

#10 posted 11-10-2019 06:26 PM

You might find this option more affordable – HonE BBQ Grill Mats,Oven and Baking Sheet 15.75” x 13”(Set of 5),Reusable Non stick Cooking Liner Thick FDA Approved Dishwasher Safehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WRRKQDZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a set of 5 for $4.99 back in April 2018. Work great for glue ups.

-- socrbent Ohio

View mafe's profile

mafe

#11 posted 11-11-2019 12:13 AM

Great idea Andy.
Cool trays also.
Smiles,
Mads

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#12 posted 11-11-2019 03:14 PM

totally agree ive got one when they first came out,work great.now they have a xl size that can be locked together to make a long mat if needed.on my christmas list.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.