Expensive and not compatible with just about all SS accessories I own

Review by Green_Hornut posted 10-23-2019 02:04 AM 1272 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Expensive and not compatible with just about all SS accessories I own Expensive and not compatible with just about all SS accessories I own Expensive and not compatible with just about all SS accessories I own Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m sorry to say that I am really disappointed with the SawStop Folding Outfeed Table. Because of the incompatibility with other SS accessories it has the feel like some type of poorly engineered third party add on. They should at least state what SawStop accessories it does not work with. Some incompatibilities have been noted in other reviews such as on Rockler but a new one is that the installation also requires you to cut off a portion of your Over Arm Dust Collector.
I started with the 1.75 PCS unit and am very happy with it. Good power and very good fit and finish. I also bought the PCS Integrated Mobile Base but after a year removed it and purchased the ICS Mobile Base. A much better unit for a cramped shop. The Outfeed Table hits the back-wheel mounts of the ICS Mobile Base and does not allow the outfeed to lay vertical. It lays 80 degrees and it’s just enough that the corners of the outfeed table are above the level of the saw surface. I had to remove the plastic covers on the tubes in order to have the slimmest of clearance with the outfeed table in the lowered position. Also using a pile of 7 washers to raise or lower the Outfeed Table to make level with the saw tabletop is a rather inelegant solution.
When the outfeed table is lowered it also hits the dust port and does not allow my DC flexible tubing to move because it is trapped between the saw and the outfeed table. All the SawStop photos show the Outfeed Table mounted without dust collection attached.
Then only after I started reading the installation instructions do I find that the two alternatives for the over-arm dust collector is to either stick it further out the side of the table saw or to cut off approximately 12” of tubing. Why can’t there be a mounting option that allows the two to coexist without modification?
I agree the quality of the materials is very good but $350 for essentially 14 1” square powder coated steel tubes and a whole lot of screws, washers, and lock nuts seems excessive.
In the end I can’t believe that such a well-engineered saw has such issues with adding the Folding Outfeed Table. It really isn’t up to the standards I have come to expect of SawStop.

I also left a 2 star review with Rockler. Let’s see if it shows on their site.

-- Mother Nature always bats last.

View Green_Hornut's profile

Green_Hornut

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

1929 posts in 1750 days

#1 posted 10-23-2019 02:48 AM

Well stated and I tend to agree with you. This is a “pro” SS site and I look forward to hearing more.

-- Desert_Woodworker

#2 posted 10-23-2019 03:15 AM

One of my co-workers saw one demonstrated at Woodcraft. He was floored when he saw the price. So he went to a local metal supplier and purchased punched sq tube, ordered the leveling feet and tube caps from Amazon and the bolts, nuts, washers and neoprene washers from Home Depot. Drilled the holes larger where he needed to insert the bolts, nuts and washers and put it together. I think the whole cost was about $135.00. Totally forgot he had done this until I saw your review. One is on my list of things to do.

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#3 posted 10-23-2019 11:01 AM

I am glad I did it get one. I built my own for $25 out of plywood and red oak.

One would think that a company who made a great mobile base in the Industrial Mobile base would miss so badly with the outfeed table.

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

#4 posted 10-24-2019 12:39 PM

I was interested in getting this until I saw one on display at Lee Valley and saw how it was incompatible with the overarm dust collection tubing and gave it a pass. Very poorly designed and thought out. The price in Canada is absolutely laughable ($460 CDN). To me, SawStop started strong with great saws, manuals and build quality. I have been very unimpressed with their latest products.

View Alan72's profile

Alan72

#5 posted 10-25-2019 05:19 AM

IT looks like SawStop bought all the patents from Excaliber and rebranded them with their name on it.

View Richard's profile

Richard

1931 posts in 3226 days

#6 posted 10-28-2019 11:51 PM

Send it back and tell them why .

View moke's profile

moke

#7 posted 10-30-2019 05:15 PM

I got one right after they were introduced. I agree it runs into the wheels and the overarm.( I don’t use my overarm)
I think one thing you are not saying is it is awesome when using the saw. I ‘ll deal with climbing under to attach dust collection and the other mentioned issues for the convenience of having it. I only have to roll my saw 5 feet to use it so it’s not that big of deal to me.
As for the cost, what isn’t expensive that Saw stop has? Ever seen SS run a sale? Ever buy another insert?...Pay to Play! Still not as bad as Woodpecker.

-- Mike

View Sark's profile

Sark

#8 posted 10-31-2019 12:36 PM

The idea that an outfeed table would project above the surface of the saw when that table was folded down…well that’s just poor design. And totally unacceptable for my use.

Another weak design element, not mentioned in post, is the need for legs to support the outfeed table. Now if you have a mobile base, and your garage/shop is not level, this means more work when you unfold the table to make sure its at the right elevation. My homemade folding outfeed table (based on a design posted in lumberjocks) is supported by folding braces that mount to the base of the saw. Raises and locks into place with one motion. Love it.

The price for the outfeed table is totally reasonable, imo, if the product was exceptionally good, but its not. The idea that a manufacturer would take inexpensive raw materials, fabricate it into a useful object, and sell it for a higher price…well that’s what they do. No fault in that. Poor product design, that’s not acceptable.

In short, thanks for warning me away from the SS Folding Outfeed Table!

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#9 posted 11-10-2019 10:56 PM

As Richard said and say its not fit for purpose.

Realise also that the quality we were used to when we were fit and healthy youth’s sadly no longer applies to equipment now too.

-- Regards Rob

#10 posted 11-13-2019 05:27 PM

Too bad that accessory doesn’t match the saw in terms of quality and useful features.
I’ve got a shop made melamine outfeed with adjustable legs on my Sawstop and it works great.
It folds, but in practice I never fold it down.