Handsawing Dovetails made fun !

Review by Artie623 posted 10-16-2019 02:46 AM 1356 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Handsawing Dovetails made fun ! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m new to the woodworking scene, with just a year under my belt… a NOW beautiful shop… and I feel like I’ve learned more on YouTube over the past year than during my four years of college. Yet, that being said… the horizon is endless in this hobby. I’m not so talented as to turn down help when it comes knocking on my door. So, with my dovetail saw in hand, and my chisels at the ready, when my Katz-Moses 1:6 dovetail jig showed up at my post office I expected, and got, a huge leg-up in executing dovetails. Now, information on this jig has been discussed all over YouTube, as well as on the Katz-Moses website. Not only is it in a class with tools from Woodpeckers & Incra… but it’s affordable… and something that you’ll wonder how you did without… that is… if you’re a hand-tool worker. Me ?,,, I’m a hybrid guy, but there’s just something about grabbing a plane or a fine handsaw that puts me in a different spot creatively, and I enjoy it. The price… Excellent… The quality… Excellent,,,, Ease Of Use?... also excellent. Watch a video, or goto the Katz-Moses website… there’s nothing I can say that Jonathan Katz-Moses doesn’t say better.

View Artie623's profile

Artie623

View RJweb's profile

RJweb

#1 posted 10-17-2019 02:45 AM

I purchased one of these off Craig’s list for $10.00, have not tried it yet, but now will have to work with it, RJ

-- Life Begins @ 190 MPH

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#2 posted 10-18-2019 09:33 AM

I am a power tool guy. I recently completed a Pennsylvania spice box that called for a ton of hand cut dovetails, at least that’s how the author/designer made his. Initially I planned to use a dovetail jig and router but ended up in the hand cut corner of the ring. I can’t imagine the frustration I would have experienced without this Katz-Moses jig. The confidence it instills as you make the cuts is invaluable. In short, I agree…it’s a great tool for a reasonable price.

Side comments: I found it slid too much so I added sandpaper for grip. I think Katz-Moses suggests you might want to do this. I did not find the “clear so you can see your layout lines” to be useful. It seems to me you are generally viewing to the side of the jig, not through it. Your thoughts on this Artie?

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View pixeltim's profile

pixeltim

#3 posted 10-19-2019 04:01 AM

I was considering just making one of those since I have some magnets, wood and glue. Not to mention that I blew through my tool budget by way too much. Is there any reason a home built one wouldn’t work as well?

View pixeltim's profile

pixeltim

#4 posted 10-19-2019 04:03 AM

Holy sheet! As soon as I posted, the next page had 9 ads for magnets!

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#5 posted 10-20-2019 12:04 AM

I’m looking forward to mastering this jig. I’ve played with it a bit and it looks like it’s going to work out quite nicely.

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#6 posted 10-21-2019 02:43 PM

Thank you for the review. I never heard of this guy, Katz Moses, until I read your review. Katz reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel, but without the politics. I ordered the 1:8 dovetail jig and the stop block. I have the Woodpecker stop block, and while I typically love all things Woodpecker, their stop block has way too much play.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

#7 posted 10-27-2019 12:37 PM

Great review, I have never really been interested in Dove tails for some reason. However, now I have the bug. Ordering this and a new concepts saw. Blondie thx you for finding me more tools I’m can buy.

Good review.