Ridgid 18ga " Clean Drive " Brad Nailer

Review by mel52 posted 09-13-2019 08:21 PM 1200 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 18ga " Clean Drive "  Brad Nailer Ridgid 18ga " Clean Drive "  Brad Nailer Ridgid 18ga " Clean Drive "  Brad Nailer Click the pictures to enlarge them

After having my VERY well used PC blow up in the middle of a project, I decided to replace it and Ridgid was the choice. I really haven’t had a problem with PC, other than the occasional jam or misfire, but when I went to replace it, the new Ridgid was on display also.
The Ridgid was on sale for just over eight dollars the price of the PC, which made it around 30+ dollars cheaper. This happens to be their new Clean Drive version, saying 17X more consecutive perfect nails. Ridgid does have a warranty that is way beyond what PC has. This model is noticeably heavier than other models. It comes with two extra soft tips mounted on the handle, clear magazine cover and a double red bar when brads are getting low. This will shoot 5/8 to 2 1/8 inch brads. Switch on the side goes from single fire, which is what I had to rapid fire sequence. I did try out this function to check it out. You push a black recessed button the opposite side of the switch to release for changing firing style. I put a sleeve of 1 1/4 inch brads and let fly. You just hold the trigger down and tap the tip on your wood. I taped it as fast as I possibly could and moved it down a scrap piece of wood. It emptied the magazine in a scary quick time, can’t see a use for this method because your accuracy would suffer. The thing I first noticed was that the brad doesn’t come out the center of the tip, its comes out right above it which may have to do with less jams. If you do ever have a jam, this is the easiest nailer I’ve seen to clear it. Flip a lever on the front and you are there. This is an oil-less motor ( Clean Drive ), so should be cleaner to use and should last longer. Other good things on this are – Dry-Fire lockout feature, tool-free jam clearing door, no-mar pads and a soft hexgrip handle. The air connection swivels which may make the hose mover easier. I have put approx. 750 to 800 brads through it and haven’t had a jam or misfire yet. The air is released out the bottom by the air connector. This unit had good ratings and if more info is needed, you can go on the internet and get unbiased ( I’m guessing ), reviews on it.

-- MEL, Kansas

View mel52's profile

mel52

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#1 posted 09-13-2019 08:48 PM

Sounds like a Super GOOD lil nailer!

Thank you for the review!

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: http://www.WoodworkStuff.net ... My Small Gallery: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#2 posted 09-13-2019 10:23 PM

Great. I like Rigid tools!......................and the lifetime warranty!

View Knotheadwilly's profile

Knotheadwilly

#3 posted 09-15-2019 03:43 PM

I have this nailer and have had nothing but good luck with it. This is my 2nd Rigid gun and no complaints.

View PPK's profile

PPK

#4 posted 09-16-2019 09:28 PM

Cool! Good info. I’ve never owned a Rigid tool of any sort… Maybe I’ll look into the Rigid brand further in the future.

-- Pete

View Fleamo's profile

Fleamo

#5 posted 10-04-2019 08:31 PM

I have the same model. It has performed without a problem for the last three years.

-- Visit the forest and appreciate the source of our craft’s raw material.

View mel52's profile

mel52

#6 posted 10-04-2019 11:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. Mel

-- MEL, Kansas