Review of Magport Magnetic Couplings

Review by BobHinden posted 09-11-2019 10:27 PM 3452 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of Magport Magnetic Couplings Review of Magport Magnetic Couplings Review of Magport Magnetic Couplings Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been using the 5? version for about four months. I am very pleased with them. For shops that use a movable hose approach for dust collection, I think they are great.

I currently use them to connect my Mini Gorilla dust collector 5? hose to my SawStop PCS, router table, and Hammer A3-41. They connect easily and are self aligning.

To add them to the SawStop and my router table, I used a short length of 5” flex hose and hose clamps to connect the Magport to the dust fitting. I found this works best if make the connection as short as possible.

To add one on the Hammer with its 120mm dust fitting port I did something different. I got a 5” Flexible PVC Rubber Coupling with stainless steel clamps, these are too big for a 5” connection, so I cut a section out of it and glued it back together with CA glue. Then I put several layers of silicone rubber self fusing tape on the Hammer’s 120mm output to make the diameter larger. I wasn’t sure it was going to work, but I think it came out very well. This is a nice solution for a combination jointer / planer as you have to disconnect and connect the dust collection hose every time you convert it from a jointer to planer mode, and back again.

Overall I think these are great. Their web site is: https://magport.net They have them in 2 1/2”, 4”, and 5” sizes, and related accessories. Fairly priced in my view.

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

#1 posted 09-12-2019 01:49 AM

That’s cool to see someone making that kind of connector. I had deeply considered making something of this design myself 2 years ago, but ended up going to a permanent duct system. Now I find myself about to re-arrange everything and I might end up with a combo of both permanent and flex hose connections. I will definitely bookmark this company in case I find it too difficult to manufacture something myself.

View PPK's profile

PPK

#2 posted 09-12-2019 01:01 PM

Interesting. I’ve seen these before. I personally just use one of those flared ends on the DC hose that friction fits onto my tools. I do have to move around my dust collection hose to several different tools. $18 per connector seems like a lot to me, and you’d need two to make one connection, right? Thanks for the review.

-- Pete

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#3 posted 09-13-2019 12:55 AM

Very nice. Do you feel any air leaks between the coupling? At first, I thought it was a 3D printed item, but see it’s not.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#4 posted 09-13-2019 11:11 AM

I think 3d printing would be a good way to make one but worry about flatness.on another website, someone made one out of a toliet flange.

View clagwell's profile

clagwell

#5 posted 09-13-2019 03:00 PM

- Redoak49

Funny you should mention that. I saw that toilet flange version this morning and the first thing I thought of was 3D printing. I did a quick rough design to check printing time, it’s about 4 hours. Magnets are on order.

This needs a few tweeks but is close to what the printed part of an actual hose end would look like:

Flatness really shouldn’t be an issue. Something that large will be as flat as the build plate.

-- Dave, Tippecanoe County, IN --- Is there a corollary to Beranek.s Law that applies to dust collection?

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#6 posted 09-13-2019 04:05 PM

Nice job on 3d printing. Do you have the hose going inside or outside? I ask because of the ribs on the inside.
What size magnets?

View clagwell's profile

clagwell

#7 posted 09-13-2019 05:05 PM

I haven’t printed it yet! That’s just a rendering of the design. The hose goes on the inside so there’s no reduction of the ID. I’ve used this technique already, it’s in use now. I simply copied the threaded end and patched it onto the new magnet holder for a quick (virtual) mock-up.

The magnets are 12×4mm N35 material.

Tentatively I think I’ll alternate the polarity of the magnets around the circumference so the connectors will be hermaphroditic. Comments on this choice are welcome.

#8 posted 09-13-2019 05:39 PM

Rayne,

Very nice. Do you feel any air leaks between the coupling? At first, I thought it was a 3D printed item, but see it s not.

Not that I have noticed. The connections seem pretty tight.

View RCCinNC's profile

RCCinNC

#9 posted 09-14-2019 12:45 PM

Hermaphroditic?

OK, simple country boy here….Last time I heard the term hermaphrodite it referred to species capable of self reproduction. Now, if you could make these things self reproduce, than you’d only need make one, wake up the next morning…and have a whole gaggle of ‘em nursing away at the mother connector.
Based on that interpretation, I’d say alternating the magnets sounds like a darn good plan!

Sorry…couldn’t help myself…

-- Live to putter...putter to live!

View Tomas's profile

Tomas

#10 posted 09-21-2019 10:27 PM

I know they are on backorder – how long did you have to wait for your magports, BobHinden?

#11 posted 09-22-2019 05:55 AM

I have ordered twice. The first time took two to three weeks because they were just starting to make the 5” version. The second time took about a week or so.

Hope this helps.

View avsmusic1's profile

avsmusic1

#12 posted 09-24-2019 08:04 PM

Great review Bob – I’ve been considering these so the timing is perfect
When you’re tired of that Hammer you feel free to send it my way too ;)

#13 posted 09-25-2019 04:05 PM

Great review Bob – I ve been considering these so the timing is perfect
When you re tired of that Hammer you feel free to send it my way too ;)

Thanks. I think I will keep the Hammer for a while :-)

View iminmyshop's profile

iminmyshop

#14 posted 11-02-2019 05:38 PM

Thanks for bringing the Magports to our attention. I bought a couple. I love em.

-- http://www.alansfinewoodworking.com/

View tvrgeek's profile

tvrgeek

#15 posted 02-09-2020 09:16 PM

Nifty. I use a really cheap version. Dryer quick disconnects. Probably woudl not hold up in a commercial shop. 4 inch only of course.