Don't buy for use in a router table

Review by Albert posted 08-20-2019 09:40 PM 1212 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Don't buy for use in a router table No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this because it is claimed to be for use in a router table, when mounted it works for a short while then gets plugged with sawdust and will not raise/lower. I clean it and it is ok for a while thin needs cleaning again. I use silicone lube so it will not attract dust but…..... Milwaukee service was no help, they say I need a bigger dust collector, I think the way it is designed dust has to fall into the area between the motor housing and the shield.
Anyone else have this problem?

View Albert's profile

Albert

View charlton's profile

charlton

#1 posted 08-20-2019 09:52 PM

Yes, I’ve had the same problem. It became impossible to adjust the height of the router so I hate to basically clean out the height adjustment screw and then everything was okay again.

View ArtMann's profile

ArtMann

#2 posted 08-21-2019 03:36 PM

The same problem occurs with other brands of routers as well. It comes from the fact that these tools were not originally designed to hang upside down from a table, despite what the advertisements say.

View OhhCrap's profile

OhhCrap

#3 posted 08-21-2019 11:58 PM

Agree with ArtMann.

I have an older model but 1/2 hp. Runs great. At the end of each project we are all blessed the task called clean up.

On the 8th day, God determined High Carbon Steel to be neat, and cool. On the 9 th day the concept of the vacuum cleaner became to be known. Of course human development needed time to cook and catchup to the wisdom.

-- Quality: There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price are this man’s lawful prey.

View DayspringMission's profile

DayspringMission

#4 posted 08-23-2019 03:48 PM

I have the same router, though I use my Shopsmith these days, mine was in a closed cabnet and I never remember having that problem. My vacuum hose “Y” part going to the inside of the box and the other to the back of the guide. The Shopsmith router cuts from above, so I can see everything while working. I’d try an enclosed box with a vacuum and see if that reduces how often you have the clean it. God Bless!

View PPK's profile

PPK

#5 posted 08-23-2019 05:38 PM

- ArtMann

This happens to mine too. I own the same model. I have good dust collection. I agree with the above. However, the router is a very good tool all in all. Routers ought to be cleaned out periodically anyway, so it doesn’t bother me too much to clean out the height adjustment screw.

-- Pete

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#6 posted 08-27-2019 09:50 PM

Usually to identify if a router can be used inverted there is a deflector shield fitted below the collet and spindle shaft fixed on to the frame of the router to stop wood particles from falling inside the works.

If its not there and your getting FO in the mech I assume a metal or plastic one could be fabricated and retro fitted fairly easily.
I don’t think the dust collection comment although may reduce the problem has any knowledgeable input to it.
Rather its all in the design of the router.

Have a look at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DC8CI6LX7U at 3:18 to 3 :30 for the deflector plate.

Mind you its my age talking and in the days when you turned on a 3600 it kicked like a mule! definitely a two hands job when you flicked the switch.

We are spoiled a little bit with soft start and speed controls, maybe manufacturers sacrificed the deflector as a result.

A pressurised cabinet may also work as a hi tech fix but again its masking the actual source of the problem.
They all need deflectors fitted.
That’s my 2c worth!