Review MrCool 24K DIY Mini Split HVAC

Review by bigJohninvegas posted 08-18-2019 10:31 PM 1180 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review MrCool 24K DIY Mini Split HVAC Review MrCool 24K DIY Mini Split HVAC Review MrCool 24K DIY Mini Split HVAC Click the pictures to enlarge them

4th of July weekend of 2018, just over a year ago. I finished the install and had working A/C in my shop.
Short overview of my shop
I have a three car garage that is dedicated to a wood shop. No parking cars in here. about 600 square feet, and fully insulated.
I did have a couple of professional HVAC estimates that proved to be outside of my budget.
But those estimates showed me what size of system I needed, and the proper location in my shop to install it.
So with a little more research, I pulled the trigger on the Mr Cool DIY Mini Split.
So it seemed that the price was the same no matter where I ordered the system from.
With that I chose Home Depot. They offered free shipping to there store. And I figured that if anything went wrong, I could deal with the store, in person. Vs, 1-800 good luck with any number of online retailers.

The system is the Mr Cool DIY 24K Ductless Mini Split HVAC
So it took a good week to get it shipped to HD.
System was packaged very well. Keep in mind how heavy this system is. Two boxes, and you will need help getting it out of your truck.
The install was easy enough, However make sure you have at least two helpers when it comes time to hang the indoor unit. I only had my wife, and she handled the line set as I fed it through the wall. But with about 5’ on line left to go, you must pick up the indoor unit and feed the line set at the same time. I about dropped the hole thing. Not to heavy, but bulky.
I handled the outdoor condenser unit by myself, but it is the heaviest part. so you may want a second helper for it too.
The line set comes in two lengths. 16’ or 25’, Mine is the 25’. I needed 19’, so you will see that I had to coil the extra line. I am thinking that I will build a cover for it in the fall.
There are warnings about taking great care as to not crimp the freon lines. The exposed ends are solid copper and could be damaged very easily, and the end on the indoor unit must be carefully bent to feed through the wall. Most of the line set is covered in an insulation, But the area that I needed to expose showed that most of the line set is steel braided line. So a little more friendly to work with.

As far as operating the unit. I have got a couple of issues. And actually, the only special features I have tried to use don’t really work.
1st. I had read before I ever bought the system that there were issues with the wifi app. Honestly, I got to agree there. I have never got it to work. Only messed with it a couple times the first week. Never could get it to even connect to my wifi.
2nd. The remote has a follow me setting. The way I understand it, is that the remote acts like a thermostat when this is activated. every 3 minutes the remote is supposed to send a signal to the indoor unit telling it what the temp is at that spot. It does not work either, and is another feature that I only tried to use during the first week.
3rd. So the last thing, and I wonder if its not related to the wifi and follow me feature, is that the remote only works from about 15’ max range. The door to my house is right at 20’ from the unit. And I mounted the remote at the door. Right above the light switch made the best sense. So to turn the system on or off, or adjust the temp, I have to walk 5’ or so into the shop. Not really a big deal for me.
The instructions say the remote should work up to 26’ away. Even with new batteries i don’t see any difference.
Makes me wonder about the wifi app. I know my router has the range to reach the unit, but does the indoor unit have the range to reach back to the router.

So even with the remote, and wifi issues. I’m going to give this unit 5 stars. It does all I need it to do. keeps my shop as cool as I want it to be. And I knew about the wifi app issue before I purchased the system. I leave it set at 80 when I’m out of the shop, and when I want to work out there, I put it down to 75. Mid summer without it, the shop would be 90 to 95 by noon. never below 85 even at night.
I do have a thermometer about 15’ from the main unit. I have moved it around the shop, and the temp stays within a degree all over the shop. so I think the follow me feature is sort of point less any way.

View BB1's profile

BB1

#1 posted 08-19-2019 12:51 AM

Thanks for the review. After hitting 90 or so lately in my shop, I have forwarded this to my husband for consideration. :)

View Brady's profile

Brady

76 posts in 2061 days

#2 posted 08-19-2019 03:00 AM

I just installed my Mr Cool about 3 weeks ago and now I’m spending all day long in my garage shop. During the long Houston summers, I would be lucky to be able to last 2 hours. With my mini split installed, I can keep the garage cooler than the house using less electricity. I even added a television! My wife, however, says I can’t put a recliner in the garage because then she would never get me to come back in the house.

Even drilling through a brick wall, it was relatively easy to install. I did the install myself after watching all the YouTube installation videos I could find. It even looks like a relatively professional job.

I should have bought a Mr Cool years ago. I got mine from Amazon here

-- Brady, Texas, http://www.MCShaveGear.com

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#3 posted 08-19-2019 02:36 PM

I am wondering just how many installed this DIY model for heat more then for air cond. i would be using it more for heat then air as my shop is in the woods does not se much sun so barely ever gets above 90 and I am happy with fans :<)))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#4 posted 08-19-2019 03:39 PM

Thanks for the review…

I’m in somewhat the same boat, except for my house.

I’m getting tired of lugging window units in and out every year, and their all 20 years old now.

The quote I got for a two zone installed system was $10K.

I really wanted to do it this summer, but the time has got away from me.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#5 posted 08-20-2019 03:35 AM

If this works for you great! I would like to know the $$$ Your system, the $ from an HVAC contractor and the independent purchase the getting a licensed HVAC guy to hook it up?

-- Desert_Woodworker

#6 posted 08-20-2019 03:42 PM

- GR8HUNTER

That’s a good question. When I was doing all my research reading before buying this setup. I noticed that I read
More reviews of people using mini split systems for the heater than a/c.
Made me question if it was going to be a good a/c.
So I live in Las Vegas, and heat in my shop is not needed often. I actually only used the heater for a few days over a couple week period last winter. And even then I only ran it for an hour or so. Heated the shop right up in a hurry.

#7 posted 08-21-2019 03:08 AM

- Desert_Woodworker

All three of the HVAC companies I called wanted 6K plus to do the job.
I then looked at big brands like Fujitsu, and Mitsubishi.
Fujitsu was the brand all 3 pro HVAC companies were trying sell me for 6k.
So you can buy these systems and install them yourself. Just like the Mr. Cool system.
But line set is separate. And you have to get the system charged. That was my next problem.
No HVAC company would charge a system that I installed myself. Gave me a BS line about liability. If they
Charge it and it doesn’t work right, they won’t warranty it. It was just BS, because they want me to pay them to install
It too. I was not looking for them to warranty anything.
And that got me where I am today. The Mr Cool system was around $1600. Plus I had to add 220v, and I bought the plastic conduit for the line set. Total I paid around $2200. That includes the $100 I paid an electrician to install
The breaker in my electric panal, and he also set me up with all the parts. Basically gave me a grocery list of everything I needed to do the electrical myself.
So here is a link to home depot, and I had to put the system in my cart to get today’s price. So I took a screen shot of that.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MRCOOL-DIY-Enhanced-24-000-BTU-2-Ton-Ductless-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-and-Heat-Pump-208-230V-60Hz-DIY-24-HP-230AE/3090689 eww10

O

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#8 posted 08-21-2019 01:27 PM

thanks

-- Desert_Woodworker

#9 posted 08-21-2019 01:49 PM

Lets see if this home depot link works.
If it does, it will show all four systems that they offer. 12k, 18k, 24k, and 34.4k.
I have the 24k system.

View Noel's profile

Noel

#10 posted 08-23-2019 05:14 PM

I just installed the 12k in my shop, which is a 160 sf single car detached garage in the Washington DC area, with all of its summer heat and humidity. Mr Cool calls the 12k a “DIY” unit, but in my case, between need to run the electrical for the disconnect and drilling through 9” of brick and block for the line set , I needed help. The cost of the unit (purchased from HD), plastic pad for outside condenser unit, line set cover and electrical/dry core drilling help, totaled around $1750. For me, it was worth the expense to extend my shop time an additional 2-3 months out of the year. The wifi feature is not reliable, but the AC works very well. I am hoping that the heat will work equally well when the time comes to use it. Oh, one minor downside: the unit comes with a 25’ line set, but I only needed about 8’, so the rest is coiled up behind the unit. I just need to design some kind of little fence thingamajig to make it look pretty.

-- Just make the cut

View putty's profile

putty

1283 posts in 2087 days

#11 posted 09-04-2019 06:53 PM

Make sure you have a 220v surge suppressor. These units have sophisticated circuit boards… I have had a unit blow up twice due to power issues. It is being replaced on Friday… this time with a surge suppressor

-- Putty