Nice, quiet, and probably too nice for a shop

Review by whope posted 08-10-2019 01:55 PM 744 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice, quiet, and probably too nice for a shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

About a year ago, I decided that needed to get a real air cleaner for my shop. While poking around for reviews, I found a review of this Rabbit Air unit (mine is the 700 sub-model) on another woodworking website. It costs a bit more than the traditional air cleaners, but with the extra features, I decided it was worth it. It has 4 layers of filters, some you can clean, some you need to replace. You have a choice of the final filter and I went for the ‘toxins’ filter.

Features I like are A) a light sensor for on/off. The unit is never really off as it runs at low speed all the time. It will run for a while after the room goes dark.

B) It has a particle sensor which controls the fan speed. There are 3 speeds based on detected air quality with an indicator: Blue normal/low speed; Purple medium speed; Red high. I find it reacts very shortly after I start sanding, so I’m pretty confident in its detection.

It also comes with a remote, which I’ve misplaced.

I’ve since forgotten some of the other features. I’ve pretty much just let it do its thing.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View whope's profile

whope

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#1 posted 08-13-2019 09:19 PM

This is great information Whope.

I noticed a previous project of yours:

1. Did you see a dramatic improvement in air quality going from the earlier 2015 system to this system?

2. I know it will be dependent upon how much dust laden air is produced in the shop, but approximatley how often do you need to replace your filters?

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

View whope's profile

whope

#2 posted 08-14-2019 01:15 AM

The earlier project needed a baffle around the fan blade as it would suck air from the outflow side so it ended up blowing dust around the shop, so I quit using it. I had intended to add the baffle but never got around to it.

I’ve had it since Nov. last year and haven’t replaced a filter yet. I should probably open it up and look. I don’t spend enough time in the shop as I’d like.

I have noticed that there is less dust collecting on occasionally used surfaces.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.