A decent table for the price

Review by whope posted 08-10-2019 01:24 PM 487 views 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
A decent table for the price A decent table for the price A decent table for the price Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had a shop built table that I generally liked. But it was heavy and came too close to the height adjustment crank. So when a friend of mine was helping me move the drill press and broke the table, I wasn’t terribly upset. So I was looking for a replacement and not having time or inclination to make one, I found this new release from Wood River. For $100, sure, why not.

The table is reasonably nice. I prefer a taller fence as that provides something to hold narrow pieces against, so I took the fence I had on my old table and replaced the provided fence.

The mounting holes are designed for tables with mounting slots at 90 degrees. I have a Rigid 15” press which has something closer to 120/60 degree slots. I was only able to use 2 of the mounting holes and still get the table somewhat centered. As you can see in the photo, it’s slightly rotated. I might be able to get something more square by using other mounting holes. I may revisit this, but it’s fine as it is. To use 3 holes, the table is way off-center.

So the mounting hole locations and the short fence earned a 1-star deduction.

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.

View whope's profile

whope

1 comment so far

View mdhills's profile

mdhills

#1 posted 08-11-2019 11:31 PM

What thickness are the inserts? is common (borg) MDF a perfect match, or do you need something else?