Do you use and break small drill bits?

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 06-20-2019 11:52 AM 1578 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Do you use and break small drill bits? Do you use and break small drill bits? No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

This may not be everyone’s cup of tea and that’s why I’ve refrained from giving it 5 stars.

If you don’t use small drill bits (1mm bit mounted in mini-chuck) then it won’t concern you and if you reach the end of this article, you’d have wasted some of your valuable time and maybe even some of mine… but if you do indulge… the chances of a bent or broken .5mm to 4mm drill bit will be greatly reduced… may even work for the equivalent imperial bits.

If you’re not prejudiced against Europeans, you could take a leaf out of Dutchy's book, but if you can’t read Dutch, you’ll just have to take my word that he recommends these type of small TCT drill bits,

However, contrary to what he might say (then again he said nothing), they are not indestructible as the one on the right can attest to,

This is not a debate about their durability but rather a testament that like a wild horse, can be broken.

I will confess that I got sick and tired of breaking drills (and slow drill speeds) and have upgraded my real drill set (metric… not the crappy imperial) to cobalt. They cost more but are much more durable, less prone to deflection and will accept a greater feed rate to drill much faster than the HSS bits. All you sceptics can Uncle Google cobalt drill bits for that added bit of re-assurance….

Another cheaper alternative to cobalt is this Hollow-Arbor Chuck Set from Lee Valley.

You can look at the link and it will tell you everything I could say and probably more, however, just in case your computer is not working, here is a picture of a 3mm drill bit (only cause that is my chuck’s minimum capacity) shoved right up the orifice of my 3-16mm keyless chuck,

The same drill bit loaded into the Hollow Chuck and choked up to expose 15mm of the tip,

You can then drill to the short depth and slowly feed the drill bit out, in increments, till the desired depth is reached and you can be fairly satisfied that a vertical hole has a better chance of being achieved (unless your press is misaligned and you used a wood friendly rubber drill bit).

The WEB didn’t lie (well, not this one) and the chuck does come with two arbors.

and it’s own easy to lose mini-key.

The hollow is as I have just described while the solid is just in case you don’t believe that small drill bits are fragile and you want to test their breaking point.

Looking at the LV WEB site, they seem to have them in _limited stock- now (circa June 2019). About a year ago the item was labelled discontinued and about a month later taken off the site.
You decide, but for $11.50 bucks (not even a cask of vino), it’s a nice addition to your miniature tool kit.

I can hear all of you screaming… but what about a pin vise for the small bits… you can keep screaming as I have my ear plugs in.

Though shorter than most of my blogs, this is the end so even if you’re an avid reader, don’t try to look for any subliminal messages following.

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#1 posted 06-20-2019 12:02 PM

i only have one question for the duck how much longer does this make the bit IE: 2 extra inches 3 or 4 being I ask is I only have bench top I looking to keep the room I have :<))))))))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

#2 posted 06-20-2019 12:25 PM

..... how much longer does this make the bit…..
- GR8HUNTER
GR8’, if I understand correctly, the min-chuck adds 1.6” to the overall length/depth of the DP… Considering that a 1/8” bit is around 2.8” long, with about 1” up/in the chuck/arbor… you’d be looking at around 2” to 3.6” (to the bit tip) added to the DP. Just remember that the max capacity is 5/32” so you wouldn’t be looking at large drills and as you progress up the drill size, they’ll be less prone to deflection.

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#3 posted 06-20-2019 12:32 PM

GR8 , if I understand correctly, the min-chuck adds 1.6” to the overall length/depth of the DP… Considering that a 1/8” bit is around 2.8” long, with about 1” up/in the chuck/arbor… you d be looking at around 2” to 3.6” (to the bit tip) added to the DP. Just remember that the max capacity is 5/32” so you wouldn t be looking at large drills and as you progress up the drill size, they ll be less prone to deflection.

- LittleBlackDuck

thanks sir :<)))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#4 posted 06-20-2019 02:43 PM

What type of run out are you seeing with this arbor? Many small chucks are just awful.

#5 posted 06-20-2019 08:55 PM

- Redoak49

Yes Redie, there probably is some runout, however with such small drill bits it a tad too hard to measure. I can only surmise that even with the runout, while the hole may be a few microns greater in diameter, the drill bit appears to travel vertically from the appearance of the exit hole’s position… seems centered like the entry hole.
All I can add is that the hole is not big enough to accept the next sized drill bit (manually).

If the runout may be of concern, the mini-chuck can be removed after a pilot hole has been established… assuming your primary chuck will accept it… mine wont.

View crowie's profile (online now)

crowie

#6 posted 06-21-2019 03:53 AM

Alex, What was the postage on the “chuck” please; as you know the Aussie dollar in down to US$0.69..

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

View pottz's profile

pottz

#7 posted 06-21-2019 03:52 PM

more wisdom from the duck and good it is.i do appreciate the shortened blog though as my attention span is quite limited.as far as those ear plugs duckie no problem i use sign lamguage,if ya know what i mean-lol.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View crowie's profile (online now)

crowie

#8 posted 06-21-2019 10:59 PM

I enquired about purchasing one last night!
This mornings email SOLD OUT.

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

#9 posted 06-21-2019 11:03 PM

OOPS! Seems I was drafting this while crowie commented above…..

- crowie

I have just informed crowie and a head up for other interested parties…

”Available at our retail stores only” when ordering on-line… a tad too far an electric bike trip from Australia (long story).

#10 posted 06-21-2019 11:10 PM

..... i do appreciate the shortened blog though as my attention span is quite limited….
- pottz

Just saving the keystrokes for my upcoming “controversial” epic about clock’s… Get some zzz’s so you don’t miss one word of it.

PS. I could never put my fingers on sign language… always found it too hard to handle!

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#11 posted 06-21-2019 11:37 PM

So your telling after I just finished wading through all this post, the replies and the associated links they are now not available?
My compuer is not working properly as well 502 502 one after the other

So how can I possibly get a set now, as it was the bees knees fix for my RAD from U know who that does not hold drill bits under 2mm.

Any thoughts on where I can runout and get them?

No doubt you know about Grahame Kennedy’s crow call ?

-- Regards Rob

#12 posted 06-22-2019 12:52 AM

..... My compuer is not working properly as well 502 502 one after the other….
- robscastle

I did uni maths… so I can equivocally assure you that one after the other is 1 1. Thereby I conclude there is nothing wrong with your computer… put new batteries into your calculator.

- robscastle

You can get mini-chucks from Mr. Bunnings… thought it doesn’t have a hollow arbour so you may need to hollow out your small drill bits.

.... No doubt you know about Grahame Kennedy s crow call ?
- robscastle

Don’r doubt. Here in downtown Churchill, I have the real McCoy’s waking me up in the early afternoon with that same message.

PS. Late announcement. It is your computer.
While drafting my reply to your computer problem above it sublimated this message,

Though it looks like my maths lesson may have been digested as I got 1 message without your alleged 502.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#13 posted 06-22-2019 12:59 AM

In case there are interested LJs out there that want to find out just who GK was.

-- Regards Rob

#14 posted 06-22-2019 01:56 AM

- robscastle

Brought back memories…. the good old days before political correctness became a virus!

#15 posted 06-22-2019 05:46 AM

Sorry rc forgot to answer…

.... So how can I possibly get a set now,....

1. But some Dutchy TCT.
  2. Upgrade to cobolt bits.
  3. Pinch mine the next time you break into my workshop to leave another wallet behind.

That’s 5 down.