Heavy Duty Mobile Base

Review by Fiddy posted 06-20-2019 12:04 AM 763 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Heavy Duty Mobile Base Heavy Duty Mobile Base Heavy Duty Mobile Base Click the pictures to enlarge them

Picked this up on Grizzly’s site. Had been needing to get a base under the 12” jointer I bought awhile back now. Only machine that wasn’t mobile so I’ve been wanting to get that done. Not sure what it weighed, but it’s a beast so I wanted something that it wouldn’t max out. This option was really not too bad in cost, but I did need extensions for the length as it wouldn’t make it. For those needing it for a jointer like this, it did pose a problem as it only went down to around 18” and I needed 13 1/2” or so. Had to cut it down and in doing so had to cut off one of the set screws that lock bars in place. Figured I’d try as I’m fairly confident I wouldn’t find anything and didn’t want to pay for shipping again to return it. I was able to fin-angle my tractor into the shop as I had no other way to lift it. This is how I’ve moved my table saw and this jointer in the past, works well. Got it on and works perfectly. It’s not exactly floating around the shop, but I didn’t expect that.

I can say I read some reviews after I ordered and someone had commented on issue fitting hardware. I found what they meant and went straight for removing casters, if you buy one you’ll know exactly the moment I’m talking about. Much quicker and easier to just remove the caster. Aside from that and my issue with the small dimension needed, it’s really simple and quick. For me I had to hack apart some metal so that took some additional time and again, it’s not recommended per their instructions. I don’t see any issue with it after getting the machine in place so I’m comfortable stating it works fine.

The casters are extremely heavy duty, solid cast wheels. Again, not the most nimble, but I’m confident it’ll hold the weight over time and no issues with flat spots.

Overall I’d recommend and I’d buy again based on my initial impressions.

One thing to note – I messed up and cut the wrong side of one of the corner brackets on the swivel side, so cut the other one incorrectly so they’d at least match. The caster now sits on the side verse at the end.

View Fiddy's profile

Fiddy

View pottz's profile

pottz

#1 posted 06-21-2019 04:01 PM

sounds like maybe they have improved their bases,the ones i bought several year ago were not the best,the wheels were terrible,matter of fact i just replaced the wheels on one with poly wheels.i wont buy anything but polyurethane anymore.what does shop fox use now?

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View Fiddy's profile

Fiddy

#2 posted 06-21-2019 09:27 PM

Hey Pottz, not sure if we have the same model. I believe they have another base that is maxed out at 700lbs I believe it was. This one is 1300lbs and the casters are actual cast iron.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#3 posted 06-21-2019 09:51 PM

- Fiddy

your right i have the lighter version.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.