Review of MasterGage SuperBar and MasterPlate

Review by BobHinden posted 06-11-2019 11:42 PM 1080 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of MasterGage SuperBar and MasterPlate Review of MasterGage SuperBar and MasterPlate Review of MasterGage SuperBar and MasterPlate Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently I purchased a Sawstop PCS. As part of the installation, I
wanted to get a gauge to check the alignment of the blade to the
table, and the fence to the table.

I first purchased the Woodpeckers Precision Woodworking Saw Gauge to do this.

See: Woodpecker Saw Gauge

While it is well made, I found it difficult to use. It requires putting
pressure near the rear bar to get consistent measurements. It’s very
fiddly to use. This makes it challenging to get consistent results,
especially when moving from front to the back of the blade. This defeats
the purpose of the product, to get accurate measurements to check the
alignment of the table saw. At this price point, I think it should be a lot
better. I returned it.

I looked at other alternatives and decide to purchase two products from
MasterGage. The SuperBar and MasterPlate products.

See MasterGage.

For a little more money I got a gauge (SuperBar) and the plate.

I first mounted the plate on the saw arbor. The MasterPlate has holes in
it so it mounts on the saw arbor like a blade.

Setting up the SuperBar requires making some adjustments to get a good fit into the
miter slot, but it’s fairly straight forward. I found if I kept on the
tight side, I got better results. It is much less fiddly than the
Woodpecker product.

With this combination I can now consistently measure the alignment of the
new table saw. Using the plate in the horizontal position, it’s easy to
measure the parallelism with the table, in the vertical postion it’s easy
to measure the squareness to the table.

Using the MasterPlate is much better than using a saw blade to check
alignment. That way one is measuring the table saw, not the table saw
plus any error in the blade.

I highly recommend this combination for table saw alignment. It works
very well on my Sawstop PCS.

View BobHinden's profile

BobHinden

View abie's profile

abie

#1 posted 06-12-2019 01:41 PM

We use a wixy in our shop
much less money..

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View KettleWorkshop's profile

KettleWorkshop

#2 posted 06-12-2019 10:17 PM

We use a wixy in our shop
much less money..

- abie

Which Wixey?
And how does it compare feature wise to the MasterGage stuff?
Thanks!

-- If you don't throw out the original design at least 2 times, you aren't finding all the imperfections.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#3 posted 06-13-2019 01:36 AM

I use a HF dial indicator, a tight miter slider and a tooth on a saw blade. What you are reviewing is very nice, is it that much more accurate. And is the degree of difference meaningful in terms of woodworking.

In this day of digital equipment in woodworking, I think we are a little overboard. What does 0.002” mean in terms of the length of a board.

View BobHinden's profile

BobHinden

#4 posted 06-13-2019 04:27 AM

- Redoak49

My experience was that I first tried (using the Woodpecker gauge) measuring with the blade that came with the saw. What I was seeing was a lot of variance that I now know was mostly the blade. Up to 7 thousands in some places, but different in each quadrant. I continued to get inconsistent results.

I wanted to make sure the saw was aligned. With the MasterGage bar and plate I have been able to get consistent results. I made a large (for me) investment in a new table saw, and I wanted to start out with good alignment. It was well worth it to me.

Hope this is helpful.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#5 posted 06-13-2019 11:04 AM

I have the Sawstop PCS and set mine up as I mentioned above. I marked and used the same tooth on the blade. Maybe,I had a better blade but worked well for me. My Sawstop PCS was almost perfect out of the box.

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#6 posted 06-13-2019 01:19 PM

I’m always interested in new and revolutionary machines, guides, jigs and such.

This looks very impressive and seems to have one helluva lot of potential/uses. However, at first glance of the manual, it looks like I’d need a PHD to operate the gizmo!

Nevertheless once mastered, I could appreciate the benefits you could get from the one set-up tool.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#7 posted 06-13-2019 01:53 PM

I have a couple Shopsmiths and use the Master plate to align the tables, saw blades and, to check fence settings. As long as I have it installed, I usually double check my miter gauges, too.

View HokieKen's profile

HokieKen

#8 posted 06-13-2019 01:58 PM

I can do without the gauge and slider but, that Master Plate is a handy doo-dad to be sure! Thanks for the heads-up.

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#9 posted 06-16-2019 11:09 AM

I think I will get the master plate. Thanks for posting

-- Petey