Pop Rivet gun for small hands

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 06-07-2019 07:05 AM 802 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pop Rivet gun for small hands Pop Rivet gun for small hands No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

This cannot be a proper duck tail without digressing from the crux of the topic.

I had this penchant to procure one of these cordless inflators,

to accompany my new shiny red Honda CRV… (OK… I know this is the wrong product… just bear with me).

Unfortunately it was only a skin and the seldom seen penny pinching side of me emerged and I was adverse to spending a small fortune for a charger and two batteries (I believe one MUST have a backup battery).
While I was digesting that conundrum, a friend of mine approached me for some wifely advice… yep wifely.

His wife has just taken up sheet metal working and because of my diversity in useless and redundant tools, was seeking advice on a good pop riveter.

Now I have small hands and usually need to use both hands to operate a normal one handed pop riveter,

As his missus was small in stature we concurred, while devouring a cask of vino, she would have the same grip problem. In the past I have bought all shapes and sizes of pop riveters… even one of those cordless drill driven units which required the use of both hands and made it somewhat difficult to wield on top of a roof or ladder.

My intention was one of these “Lazy Tongs” Riveter,

which I believe does not have the reach of lever problems, though it does require two hands (even for big mitted gorillas).
While visually evaluating manual riveters, the saleman drew our attention to the Milwaukee cordless riveter.

that handles all the standard/common pop rivet sizes.

Both the lady and I fell madly in love… with the riveter, and started discussing shekels with the salesman. Being my favourite Fe$tool salesperson, he was prepared to give us a deal too good to refuse. Bottom line was, at least for me, packaged, I got the riveter and the inflator, with two batteries and the charger thrown in for “free”… I must admit this offer was bolstered by my mate buying the pop riveter and a whole lot of extras tools and acessiories for his wife at the time… all disguised under an EOFY sale.

We went back to Churchill and put it through its paces. One handed operation with a simple pull of the trigger and no jammed fingers when the pop popped.., the missus (friend’s) was wrapped and then I tried it. Well I’ve been using pop riveters for ½ a century and the pleasure I experienced with my first pop of the riveter was closely associated with the first pop of my cherry (some things one never forgets).

They are not cheap and when you consider it’s only a skin it becomes an item of pleasure rather than of absolute necessity, however, if you have issues with small hands vs large spanned riveters and the occasional/regular pinched knuckles you should do yourself a favour… if you already have the batteries (which would be useless without a charger) you could waste money on many other things if you weren’t aware of this little pricey gem! And of course if you don’t use rivets (or only a few) it makes a pretty paper weight.

PS. It also has a container to collect all those spent rivet mandrels that you curse the tradies for leaving behind scattered on the ground when they’ve finished a job.

View PPK's profile

PPK

#1 posted 06-07-2019 01:13 PM

Haha, you’re funny LBD. Looks like a really nice tool. I got done popping 50 steel 3/16” pop rivets to fasten the plywood sides on my trailer a couple weeks ago… this sure would have saved my poor hands.

-- Pete

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#2 posted 06-07-2019 01:46 PM

KEWL TOOLS FOR SURE :<))))))))))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 06-07-2019 04:50 PM

I’ve used several hand and pneumatic pop-rivet guns, but have never seen or heard of an electric one.

Very Cool. I learned something knew today.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#4 posted 06-08-2019 12:14 AM

Thx PPK and GR8.

... this sure would have saved my poor hands.
- PPK

It was pinched flesh in the past that made this a no brainer as I normally wouldn’t pop enough rivets to justify it… but then again it’s such a cool tool that I might have contributed.

..... never seen or heard of an electric one….. I learned something knew today.
- Mainiac Matt

That was one of my motivations to post this M’M’..

View Rich07081's profile

Rich07081

#5 posted 06-08-2019 02:25 AM

Great write up, thank you!
As much as I enjoy Lumber Jocks, it has been as long time since a post made me laugh out loud!!!
Thanks, again!

#6 posted 06-09-2019 01:47 AM

... made me laugh out loud!!!
- Rich07081

Thanks Rich’... either learn or laugh… better still if you can do both!

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#7 posted 06-14-2019 09:17 PM

Speaking of interesting tools what about one of these?

-- Regards Rob

#8 posted 06-14-2019 11:59 PM

Speaking of interesting tools what about one of these?

- robscastle

Nearly as bad as machine guns on a motorbike….

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#9 posted 06-16-2019 10:06 AM

well that may be so but admiting to adultry on LJs has got to be a first
“poping a rivet into the missus friend” tee hee

In fact you being a very inventive person you could knock up one of these fairly easy.
In two parts
Pt 1

Pt 2

-- Regards Rob

#10 posted 06-16-2019 11:31 AM

..... but admiting to adultry….
- robscastle

It’s only adultery if other than the two (or three) participants know about it…. I prefer to call it my well kept dirty little secret,

PS. rc, just realised what you were getting at with the vortex… I thought your picture was a circular saw not a grinder… no wonder you were going crazy!