Dust problem with switch

Review by Jim Finn posted 06-05-2019 01:15 AM 2342 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust problem with switch No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I like the Bosch saw a lot but after about a year the switch started sticking closed and I had to unplug the saw to make it stop. I blew it out with compressed air and that fixed it …for a few months. After the third time , today, I wrapped the switch in seran wrap, hoping to keep the dust out of this switch. I hope this works.

Jim Finn

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#1 posted 06-05-2019 03:19 AM

I’ve had that saw for years. Used it a lot. Nice saw like you said. Tons of dust and never had the switch problem. What gives here?

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#2 posted 06-05-2019 11:31 AM

Also had it for 5+ yrs. Never had that problem either.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#3 posted 06-05-2019 11:42 AM

some times the design or manufacturing practices allow dust to get into the switch and cause it to malfunction. Your may have some variation in it where there is a crack for dust to get in. I had the same problem on the old Craftsman band saw I bought. It worked when I bought it and the after I assembled it I had no power to the light or the motor.. I opened up the switch and it was packed full of dust and the contacts were burned a bit. I cleaned it real good filed the contacts and thenIi put tape around the small crack between the front plate and the box to keep it out.

I think the Saran wrap will really prevent your problem!

Cheers, Jim

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#4 posted 06-05-2019 12:57 PM

Bosch also had problems with their flagship 1617 router switch going wonky from dust penetration. Just read the old reviews to hear the complaints.

I purchased one about 3 years back and have had zero problems and think they quietly upgraded the switch so as to not draw attention to the defect. Kind of like the “silent recall” the Japanese auto-makers do to avoid bad PR.

I’ll wager a guess that those having no problem have newer switches and that if the OP contacts Bosch they might send him one at no charge.

Please let us know how this works out.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View ken_c's profile

ken_c

#5 posted 06-05-2019 03:27 PM

yup- dust happens – I have an older sliding Bosch that needs an occasional blowing out. Worst yet, I had a General International 50-260 table saw that was supposed to have a TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) motor – ya, it wasn’t totally enclosed – it was so packed with dust it needed an operation for dust catheterization. BTW, full cyclone based dust collection on all tools all the time.

#6 posted 06-11-2019 09:44 PM

The seran wrap was too late I think. The switch failed closed again so I installed a new switch and when I installed it I wrapped it in seran wrap. It is working now. I disassembled the old switch and it had some dust burned black in it and one of the contacts had welded itself closed.

View Greg the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg the Cajun Wood Artist

#7 posted 06-20-2019 09:32 PM

i had the Bosch 10” clider for a few years and had a lot of problems with it. Replaced the switch. Had problems with the sliding mechanism sticking also. Preformed all maintenance and spoke to Bosch before I finally got rid of it and bought another brand. Any saw can sometimes be a lemon and when that seems to be the case it is best to just replace it.

-- Wood for projects is like a good Fart..."better when you cut it yourself" Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does

View DDWW's profile

DDWW

#8 posted 11-13-2019 02:13 AM

The same thing happened on my Hitachi 12” compound sliding miter, except after sticking for awhile it just stopped working. I was able to find the parts list and get the switch on Amazon Prime delivered in two days. I replaced it.

if you have to go that route I found it hard to get the switch and wires back in place and reassembled. Take pictures as you disassemble. In my case I had to put the wires back in the same order one on top of the other. I finally figured out that I could use a zip tie to keep the switch in place then cut it and slide it out at the last minute.

I have a bosch router and jig saw and oscillating saw. I like them a lot accept for the collar guide system for the router. They tried to come up with a quick change system and its a total failure.

#9 posted 11-26-2019 02:47 PM