IBC Bench Chisels the best value available right now

Review by Pancova posted 06-03-2019 11:47 PM 1583 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
IBC Bench Chisels the best value available right now No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi all, while deciding what chisels to upgrade to from my wood rivers and previous Irwin’s I found lumber jocks and the reviews here. For the most part helpful but I was a little surprised to see some of the negative reviews. Back story: I’m a mostly handtool woodworker, and I have been at this for about 3 years. My first set of chisels was the Irwin marbles with the blue plastic handles, good chisels for the money.. but they took a lot of work to get tuned. From those I went to a partial set of the wood river bench chisels which were slightly better. When the time came to make the dive into a high end set I was looking between the IBC and pmv-11 chisels. Ultimately I went with IBC because of the unique handle feature and quite honestly the price. I called the folks at IBC to order and had phenomenal customer service. Took about a week to get the chisels in the mail and one of the first things I did was have my buddy turn me some new purple heart handles. Now after about 3 months of using I figure I would drop a review over here for anyone like me who’s on the fence. I’ve used these chisels side by side with pmv-11 chisels and will say without hesitation that there’s no difference. The edge retention is equal, if not better. Hell I used the factory edge without touching up for nearly a month on two of them. Sharpening was a breeze because the original milling was so accurate. So for about 25% less cost it’s hard to say there’s a better chisel out there despite what everyone seems to think. The ability to have custom handles so easily is a nice perk too, we all know we have a favorite wood for our handtools and IBC makes it so you can swap that out effortlessly. They also seek the chisels without handles at a significant discount so if you dont need them you can save some money buying them that way. Bottom line… these are top notch chisels, as good as anything out there and cost significantly less if you can make your own handles or have a good friend like me. I will eventually have the full line with out a doubt.

View MattR's profile

MattR

#1 posted 06-05-2019 01:02 PM

I now own four of those chisels after having the privilege of attending Rob Cosman’s Purple Heart seminar a few weeks ago. Its quite the upgrade from the Narex. Polishing the back took only a few minutes and they were ready to use after a few stroke on the 1000 diamond stone and 16000 Shapton Glass Stone to create the second and tertiary bevels.

Now I just need a woodturner to turn me a few custom handles…

#2 posted 06-05-2019 01:35 PM

I also was fortunate enough to attend robs course, last fall, what an amazing experience! And your spot on about the chisels, take little to no effort to get working

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#3 posted 06-05-2019 03:04 PM

Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

I love good socket chisels with high carbon tool steel and precision grinding.

But I use them so infrequently that I can’t justify the expense.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#4 posted 06-05-2019 03:29 PM

These might actually be exactly what you want then… they aren’t a socket chisel and all the styles are interchangeable. Take a look at the site, you can save some cost by buying a couple full chisels and then just buy the extra blades you want. If not in regular use the 30 seconds it takes to change them around wouldn’t be a big deal. You’ll end up with some phenomenal tools at a fraction of the price of the other options…

View klinkman's profile

klinkman

#5 posted 06-06-2019 04:08 PM

I agree with the review. I’ve owned a full set of IBC bench chisels for about 18 months after I read a review. I absolutely love them.

The only idea the reviewer left out is the long handle factory option. I put long a handle on my 1” chisel and use it for paring so much I just leave it on. If I want to go back to the shorter handle it takes about 15 seconds to make the swap. They are well made and hold the edge well. I simply touch them up with a few swipes on 1500 wet/dry on a flat granite stone before I put the cap back on and they are good to go. I wish every tool I had performed as well as these chisels.

-- Klinkman, hand tool enthusiast