Festool Mobile Systainer Base/Cart

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 06-01-2019 09:40 AM 769 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Festool Mobile Systainer Base/Cart Festool Mobile Systainer Base/Cart Festool Mobile Systainer Base/Cart Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

For a comprehensive review, one must set the atmosphere… and if you don’t need to breathe, scroll down to the first picture of the mobile base (about 1/2 way down… but then you wont know what I was talking about).

Years ago I was like a lot of you LJers and avoided Fe$tool like the plague because of it$ price tag$.

However years ago back in 2008 when I was young and naive, I bought a Makita Cordless 4 Mode Impact Driver (BTP140) for $830… yep $830 for a Makita drill,

Back then, all their top end drills were around the $300-$450 (with various combinations of any 3 modes), however, that extra mode bumped the price by $400 dollars.

I must have been smoking something to pay that much for any tool let alone a drill… Needless to say, this reality check made me decide that if I was moronic enough to pay $800+ for a Makita drill, how can I have the audacity to begrudge purchasing Festool tools. So a new epoch materialised.

Now one of the things I hated about any tool was their plastic cases and found they took up an inordinate amount of storage and always managed to fail integration with other workshop paraphernalia,

Consequently I preferred to purchase tools without plastic cases which I placed into a generic storage box,

so I could pick and choose the tool on demand

(I already had a dedicated recharge drawer so the case wasn’t needed for the charger),

AND of course Festool had their bloody expensive systainers which I initially avoided with a passion. Consequently my early Festool purchases were the tool (and accessories) at a reduced price due to their missing shop damaged systainersYay!
When I couldn’t avoid the elusive ‘tainer, I found I was stacking the boxes on top of each other inside a cupboard,

and of course the one you wanted was always at the bottom.
Now that space is used by the oversized belt sander and empty drill systainers (and room for other stuff),

When Festool released their DF-500 break down connector (plan to do a review on them) I couldn’t resist buying that elusive Domino I was deliberately avoiding for over 10 years as I already had a reliable biscuit joiner and a Leight FMT Pro. With a systainer for the Domino, one for the dominos and another for the DF-500 connectors my systainer management took a dramatic downward plunge.

Then I discovered the Festool systainer mobile base(s),

Bet you were wondering what that preamble crap was all about and when was he going to address the topic at hand… well, ante down… I know your tell!

The downside of them was that they were/are still a pain with the original systainer locking method,

as separating the boxes was still a pain with far too many locking levers (4) that have never been knuckle friendly. Fortunately I only have 1 old style systainer (upward compatible – new style is not downward compatible… and if you say WOT?... that means that you can put a new on top of the old but not the old on top of the new… you may now ask why the hell didn’t the jerk say that in the first place) and that is permanently on the bottom of the rolling cart,

unfortunately the ’tainers on this cart cannot be tilted though the top opened once the above boxes have been lifted off… and the subject mobile base,

Their “latest” T-lock mechanism was a breath of fresh air,

It was a simple twist to open if near the top of the stack and not too top heavy,

or 2 twists to separate (lift off),

and still tilt,

you also have the option to move it to the top,

Naturally you’ll have the most used at the top for quick access. Another feature I like is that many Woodpecker
One-Time-Tool offerings come in systainers (the black ones) and will perfectly integrate with the Festool storage.

I have come to love the systainers and will probably buy another mobile base as my stockpile expands although the old style may be relegated back to the cupboard to make room for at least 1 or 2 more systainers.

One may argue that if you spend the money on Festool, you should be able to build a decent shelving system and I totally agree, however, these bases make shelving unnecessary and is for me, a very acceptable alternative. Their large lockable casters make makes mobility around in a crowded workshop a simple task. Furthermore if you take your Festools “ex-workshop”, the mobile cart would be invaluable, however, as my tools never leave the workshop, as an afterthought, I’d probably have preferred a second mobile base instead.

PS. If you are not a proud parent of a litter of Festool tools or not storage restrained, please don’t read this review.

View Dave Polaschek's profile

Dave Polaschek

#1 posted 06-02-2019 01:11 AM

Drat. I read the review, and am unlikely to ever own any Festool kit.

-- Dave - Minneapolis

#2 posted 06-02-2019 09:57 AM

Double Drat , or it that rat a tat tat, and sadly as with Dave I am also unlikely to ever own any Festool kit.
So where are the pictures of the gold plated drill ?

What other amazing gear have you got stashed away in that Tardis workshop of yours?
Any CBN wheels perhaps? ...anthm27 set me onto them today!

#3 posted 06-02-2019 10:33 AM

C’mon guys… buy one and you can “skateboard” around your tools!

#4 posted 06-02-2019 09:38 PM

Here is another believer.

#5 posted 06-03-2019 10:17 AM

Here is another believer.
- robscastle
rc, it’s actually for that reason that I added this disclaimer… easily missed among the other vd (verbal diarrhea).

..... or not storage restrained.....
- LittleBlackDuck

You’ll find that most Festool owners will go to great means to protect their precious cargo… these roller basses are basically for lazy sceapskate pretenders like me.

View brtech's profile

brtech

#6 posted 06-03-2019 04:09 PM

Systainers are great. I do have two Festool tools (Domino and a ROS), but I now have, oh, I think 12 Systainers. I’ve moved most of my handheld corded power tools to Systainers. I buy empty ones (usually on sale somewhere) and cut some foam to match.

The mobile base is nice, but I have too many Systainers, and the one I want is inevitably on the bottom. I’m gonna make a storage cabinet that holds each one on a shelf. Since they are all exactly the same width and depth, the cabinet is easy, and a 1/4” ply shelf should be plenty strong enough. It can be tall (8’) and work fine. 3 sided 3/4 ply for the carcass and dado the shelves. I’ll probably add a few extra dados to be able to change the height spread.

Also, the Makita equivalents are pretty decent. They have the same “okay on the bottom, not on the top” problem in mixing with Systainers, but they are a lot cheaper. I use them for the largest sizes (biggest cost savings) and since those tend to be heavy tools (like a track saw) they go on the bottom anyway.

#7 posted 06-03-2019 04:41 PM

I used

Systainers are great. I do have two Festool tools (Domino and a ROS)....
- brtech

I now agree brt’ though somewhat belatedly. I used to hate them as I was (and still am) too lazy to make/customise single suystainer shelves/cubicles so inevitably they were usually stacked 3 deep in one cubby hole. By the time I dragged them out and got at the one I wanted I went deaf from all my cussing (and I only had a few). But since I decided to accept Fe$tool price$ my systainers grew… also it is hard to get flat ply where I live and it nearly costs more than the Fe$tool. If I expand my collection, I’ll definitely get more of these bases.

With the exception of the Kapex, I move the systainer to the job rather than the job near the systainers. Having them on these rolling basses I can store my most oft used in the “middle” of the workshop (closer to the job). With their interlocking system it’’s quite easy to get the one I want even if it’s in the middle and by stacking the lighter ones on top, this is a simple exercise.
Furthermore their shopfloor profile is quite small and it’s simple to move out of the way.

Gallery picture #3 was only taken to test the bases stability with a high stack. I was concerned about it’s centre of gravity, however, was surprised at how stable it was and in reality if that would be the norm, the large systainer would be at the bottom to provide better ballast.

BTW, I’m just a recent Domino convertee and love it… If you don’t mind Fe$tool, I totally recommend you check out their Rotex… You probably be putting your ROS on eBay… though that’s probably not what you want to hear.

#8 posted 06-03-2019 05:03 PM

once again you have taken us on a magical journey through the cluttered mind and shop of the duck.i normally get rid of the boxes that tools come in but i do love the systainers so i keep my domino and sander in them because i think a thousand dollar tool deserves one-LOL!

#9 posted 06-04-2019 07:09 AM

...i do love the systainers so i keep my domino and sander in them because i think a thousand dollar tool deserves one…
- pottz

Actually pottzy, Fe$tool without the systainer would be cheaper than Home Depot tools…

Talking about Domino… have you checked out their breakdown connectors?

#10 posted 06-04-2019 01:47 PM

- pottz

Talking about Domino… have you checked out their breakdown connectors?

- LittleBlackDuck

yeah there pretty cool and pretty pricey but for the right project you cant beat em.have you used any yet?

#11 posted 06-04-2019 02:14 PM

.... have you used any yet?
- pottz

Could have used then on a project for a friend about 1 week before they were released… I made do with pocket holes so it could be “broken down”.
When released I immediately bought the Domino (that I have been defering for over a decade) and the connectors, but other than try it out on some scrap, I cannot dream up a worthy project to use them on… so I’ll just sit there and rue the price on the docket.

#12 posted 06-05-2019 05:18 AM

Blow Moulded Cases or (the boxes that tools come in )

many years ago, sorry about the delay, ... I got filcked out while looking for information, I did a quick check to see who was on line at the time but the usual list of suspects were not there anyway so its all a bit of a mystery as to how it happened for now, so continuing on without further delay,
Some years ago I purchased a RECIPRO SAW from Trade tools, it was a Jepson 8012 and came in a grey/green blow moulded carry case. The tool worked well and I used it constantly to cutthe Smiths pallet boards from their frame as I repaired them.
One day it started making a odd noise and would only run if you “Pump actioned” it. I dismantled it to find the bevel gear damaged, I contaced TTs for the possibility of repair parts being available, but sadly it was no longer stocked and the part was not available. So as I needed to continue work I bought the Renegade version and continued on. First up I was pleased with the Quick Change Blade system, and the saw has performed perfectly without a fault since. Its worthwile noting that if you have a Jepson and it quits on you the Renegade will fit in the Jepson Blow Moulded Case, as the Renegade only comes in a cardboard box. With a new sharp blade it slices the rough aged hardwood pallet boards effortlessly. It has some other features that I have not really used but they are there if required.

So the moral of the story is dont be too quick to ditch your equipments OEM packaging.

What on earth have you got stashed in all those systainers anyway …must be someting really important, I am gunna stick with my localy made Fishers cantainers.

I also have a heap of dominoes !!

#13 posted 06-05-2019 08:03 AM

What on earth have you got stashed in all those systainers anyway ..
- robscastle

Absolutely nothing… I just use the empty systainers as ballast for the roller bases!

I also have a heap of dominoes !!

OK smarty pants, you’re on!... ALL my dominos are BLANKS,

give me a chance to paint them black and I’ll challenge you to a winner takes all game… with sheep stations as ante!

#14 posted 06-05-2019 09:05 AM

I could suggest a stud farm with 3 coconuts but that would be a bit silly

Speaking of big weapons what about this LJ, https://www.lumberjocks.com/5charlottee482ro1
be quick though I hear a cricket chirping already.

Oh almost forgot did I send you the Rocketship with an arrow through it?

and they have the hide to pinch my sander!

#15 posted 06-05-2019 01:45 PM

I could suggest a stud farm with 3 coconuts but that would be a bit silly

be quick though I hear a cricket chirping already.

Oh almost forgot did I send you the Rocketship with an arrow through it?

and they have the hide to pinch my sander!

- robscastle

you got radar for smut rob,you always seem to find it-lol.