The SawStop meets or exceeds my expectations (so far)

Review by NoSpace posted 05-27-2019 12:30 AM 886 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The SawStop meets or exceeds my expectations (so far) The SawStop meets or exceeds my expectations (so far) The SawStop meets or exceeds my expectations (so far) Click the pictures to enlarge them

I finally got the SawStop. I bought it just before prices went up and couldn’t bring it home for a month until I cleared space in the 1-car shop. I can’t compare this to other saws of its class, but my experience may be useful for those in a similar situation, where I had a DeWalt jobsite saw that I was able to make suit my needs and should I upgrade or not?

The safety mechanism I figured I couldn’t justify NOT getting, as losing a finger could ruin my day job, and what’s a few hundred bucks in the long run. But that wasn’t my driving motive. My driving motive was that I got to the point where I dreaded making my table saw cuts due to the 103 decibels of the direct drive motor. SawStop unofficially says the contractor is 81 – 87 db. Would it be enough? Absolutely. In fact, now with my ear protection, my little Fein vaccum and air filter running, the noise barely registers and my fear of the blade isn’t an automatic impulse as it was when turning on my jobsite saw, which was like a jaguar screaming.

Assembly went pretty easily, the instructions are about as dumbed down as instructions can be. I’m not using the base—I chose the contractor so that I can use the space underneath for my planer—so I can’t speak it its assembly, and so the hardest step otherwise is step one, put the main unit on something. For bigger dudes it might not be a big deal or if you have two people, but that one step was half my assembly time. it’s packaged air tight and upside down. You can’t right it because the dust shroud protrudes from the bottom. I wanted to make a nice and pretty base for it, but after I finally got it on my old scrapwood base, I realized it would have to be home.

As for the dust shroud, you think with all the other attention to detail they could have made a port that was actually round and fit something. So I had to do a duck tape job on my 4-2.5 inch step down, which works perfectly for my other 4” tools. And yeah, it leaves a mess. But, on the plus side, I religiously use my dylos particle counter and it seems to put about a third to half the dust into the air that my jobsite did, so that might make up for the other issues.

The stamped aluminum wings people complain about seem okay to me.

I got the stock fence, which is another big complaint, and this one is interesting. That was the second hardest part of the assembly, I couldn’t get it to fit and I could barely move it. I was sure it would have to go. I could definitely see what people were saying, that it won’t stay straight, and could cause a safety issue. However, with a little patience and paste wax, now I think it’s fine. The secret seems to be this: it has a big red handle that implies, “grab and adjust”. But with the force applied to one end, it sticks, and it wants to be at a slight angle. It’s a change of habit to lock and unlock with the handle but never move it that way, grab it at the middle and move it, and so far very easy and no problems.

Having a proper table size has been nice, even though i don’t plan on lots of big projects. My first project was to build big shelves, which required that space I didn’t have with my jobsite, which would ultimately make space in my shop to own a normal table saw.

I haven’t used it for a lot of hardwood cuts yet as it’s mostly been a big shop redesign for the last couple months, but so far it does what I need. Just with the stock blade, I can already see life is going to be much easier than with the jobsite. I’ve ripped some 4/4 maple and sure, it goes slow, but it doesn’t burn. I’ve also ripped some 3/4 Bubinga with no problem. I wouldn’t rip exotics at all on my jobsite, I ripped with bandsaw and cleaned the cut with table saw. So definitely more option.

A couple other great things: finally I have a table saw that works with my rockler thin-rip jig. That thing has all kinds of uses. Also, the miter gauge is actually useful; it’s the only one I use out of the 6 or so I’ve collected from other tools.

A couple more minor quibles, the angle guide as you tilt the blade is a complete joke, off by like 10 degrees and I see no way to adjust it. I guess I could be missing something. Not a big deal. The blade guard in some ways I like, but can’t be lifted, and it’s really foggy. It’s unnerving sometimes not to be able to see what’s going on in there. And today—lesson learned about safety—I opened a plastic coke bottle and lost the cap. Just before turning on the saw I saw that the red cap was sitting on the red insert. Couldn’t easily see it through the blade guard. That may have been a 150$ lesson.

Finally, my biggest concern about getting a real saw was space. But with the rockler wheels on the base it moves like a breeze, and so not even an issue at all.

View NoSpace's profile

NoSpace

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#1 posted 05-27-2019 12:36 AM

GRATZ ON YOUR NEW TOY :<))))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

#2 posted 05-27-2019 03:12 AM

Congratulations! I have a JSS that works well for me.

-- Random Orbital Nailer