Wood River #7 Jointer Plane

Review by Dimensions posted 05-15-2019 09:31 PM 655 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood River #7  Jointer Plane No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So i just added my newest hand tool to my collection, the Wood River Number 7 Jointer Plane. This thing is a BEAST! At 22 ” and 9.6 lbs you definetly realize you are holding a well made tool. It has plenty of heft to take on gnarly grain in very hard woods. I will be putting it to the true test soon, as i build my first “real” workbench. I wanted to use this plane to assist in flattening the top of the bench.

If you want to see my initial thoughts on this tool, you can check out the unboxing here…

View 1965scooper's profile

1965scooper

11 posts in 2037 days

#1 posted 05-19-2019 02:08 AM

I have a pair of #8 Stanleys, one an antiques store find and the other bought off the lawn at a farm auction. Cleaned up and with sharp irons, they intimidate me equally. I’ve had a Medicare card in my wallet for several years. I figure that if I could live about two more lifetimes, consecutively, I’d finally learn how to properly use these beasts.

-- 1965 Scooper

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#2 posted 05-19-2019 03:11 AM

Scooper, you’re missing out!

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

#3 posted 05-19-2019 12:12 PM

Scooper, I’d have to agree. Make sure it’s tuned up, and start making shavings. Or i can give ya my address and you can send em to me ;)

The #8 has a couple inches on my #7 it would be exciting (to me ) to use such an amazing piece of American Engineering!

View woodthaticould's profile

woodthaticould

#4 posted 05-19-2019 09:21 PM

Unless I missed something you got beautiful shavings right out of the box.

#5 posted 05-20-2019 02:19 AM

Woodthaticould, i was talking about scooper’s number 8 that he’s hesitant to use….