Sulphur Grove bandsaw tires

Review by hairy posted 05-06-2019 07:55 PM 671 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sulphur Grove bandsaw tires Sulphur Grove bandsaw tires No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I needed new tires for my Jet 14” with riser. When I needed tires for my old Delta, I went with Carter, and have been satisfied with them. I don’t know if Sulphur Grove was around back then,but I just learned of them. I read that Carter tires were a bad fit for Jet.

They were easy enough to put on. I left the wheels on and took off the blade, table, trunnion, and guides. I got it started on at the top, clamped on a 1 hand fast clamp and rolled the wheel around till the clamp was against the frame, to keep it from turning. I stuck an awl between the wheel and the tire and went around the rim,pushing the tire on. I then took off the fast clamp and held the awl handle against the wheel, rotating the wheel, to seat the tire against both sides of the rim. It probably would have been easier if I had lubed it up a little, liquid detergent works good for that.

The old tires I took off were flat, these are crowned. Everything went back together fine, adjusted up as it should. I cut three 1/2 and two 3/4” bb ply circles, then checked under the hood, and it’s all good. If they don’t work out for me, I’ll post that here.

I got them from Amazon. Ordered at noon on Saturday, on the porch at 4pm Sunday. For $33, nice.

Sulphur Grove tires, made in the U.S.A. https://sgtool.com/

-- My reality check bounced...

View hairy's profile

hairy

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#1 posted 05-07-2019 05:02 PM

I used the SG tires on an old Powermatic 154 restore. I used the tape layering technique (from the SG website) to produce the crown (the tires I used were flat).

No complaints after a number of years except the orange color kinda clashes with the PM green…

View FloridaCracker's profile

FloridaCracker

#2 posted 05-08-2019 05:28 PM

Cant say I ever had them on my saw

-- FloridaCracker

View DrDirt's profile

DrDirt

#3 posted 05-14-2019 03:13 PM

I too have these, but on my Delta X5 bandsaw. On that the Carter tires were a bad fit. The Carter tires were too narrow, leaving ~1/8-3/16 gap in the tire groove. The Orange tires fit fully.

-- “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain