Highland Woodworking's Woodturner's 3/8 inch Bandsaw Blade

Review by Jerry posted 04-24-2019 10:58 PM 1944 views 2 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Highland Woodworking's Woodturner's 3/8 inch Bandsaw Blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After getting an education in saw blades by my friend Ernie Searing, and learning just how versatile the correct rip blade can be for not only ripping but crosscutting as well, I decided that I’d start taking a look at my band saw blade. I get tired of changing blades all the time, and I was looking for that perfect combination of a clean speedy cut, both ripping and crosscutting, no burning, no fighting the blade, and quiet smooth operation.

I thought the Highland Woodworking's Woodturner's 3/8 inch Bandsaw Blade looked like that perfect combination, so I bought it.

First of all, I want to give a shout out to Highland Woodworking’s customer service department. I chose USPS priority mail shipping for this because I wanted it right away. Well, unlike so many other shippers these days, Highland Woodworking’s shipping department got that blade in the mail NOW, and I got it the day after I approved the shipping charges. It’s always annoyed me when you pay for priority shipping and the shipper lets the order sit around for a week before they get it shipped, kind of defeats the purpose of paying for expedited shipping, right? Well not these people. Best customer service and rapid shipping I’ve ever had from ANY woodworking supplier.

Now on the the blade. It cuts like a dream, it is QUIET – NO VIBRATION, which speaks for a great manufacturing quality. It’s only 3/8” so I can cut a very tight radius with it, but it eats through a 10” high piece of hickory like it’s not even there, and can cut a 1/16” veneer straight and true.

This is by far the best band saw blade I have ever experienced on mine or anybody else’s band saw. This is a do – it – all blade that does everything perfectly.

Buy with confidence.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#1 posted 04-24-2019 11:12 PM

Thanks for the review Jerry. I had been thinking about trying one of these for awhile. I do cut a lot of green wood and they say it is made for that purpose. Interested in what type of bandsaw you are using it on.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

#2 posted 04-24-2019 11:26 PM

- doubleDD

Hey Dave, I’m using it on a Grizzly G0513X2. I can foresee using this blade for just about everything. I’ve got a couple of Oak logs out by the side of the house that I’ve been putting off resawing, but not now.

I don’t turn regularly, and I know that they made this blade for cutting green wood – so many turners like to use it, but I saw much greater potential in it.. the low TPI is what sealed the deal for me. So may times my 1” wide Timberwolf blade has turned my workshop into a smokehouse because it has such a hard time re-sawing, but this thing, no smoke, no resistance NO DRAMA. I love it.

View ernie's profile

ernie

#3 posted 04-24-2019 11:55 PM

Hi Jerry, Thanks for the review of Highlands 3/8 woodturners blade. I have a Timberwolf 3/8 that is 3 years on my
bandsaw and is my most used blade. From your results thus far I will be looking at Highlands blade when I need to
replace mine. I also have Highlands Magfence II and their Accuright Log Mill. Log mill is great for breaking down logs.

Is indispensable for making that first log cut. Hope to be down your way soon and can see the new blade in action.

Ernie

-- Ernie, Etna, WA

#4 posted 04-25-2019 01:02 AM

Ernie

- ernie

Noodles and Pie… I mean, fried chicken, fettuccini Alfredo, and apple pie.

View oldrivers's profile

oldrivers

1667 posts in 1931 days

#5 posted 04-25-2019 02:09 AM

Thanks for the report every woodworker needs a good band saw blade.

-- Soli Deo gloria!

#6 posted 04-25-2019 02:31 AM

Thanks for the report every woodworker needs a good band saw blade.

- oldrivers

Quite welcome sir.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#7 posted 04-25-2019 01:40 PM

Thanks for the write up Jerry…. How many TPI is that blade?

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#8 posted 04-25-2019 03:18 PM

Thanks for the write up Jerry…. How many TPI is that blade?

- Mainiac Matt

Welcome! 3 TPI alternate set with raker tooth pattern.

View Fchilly's profile

Fchilly

#9 posted 04-25-2019 03:20 PM

Thanks for your review. It’s very informative and describes my experience with the company as well. I use the 1/2” wood slicer and have been thinking about a better blade for cutting radii, I may give this a try.

Did you notice a difference in the kerf size compared to your other blades? On mine the kerf is significantly smaller than any other blade i’ve used and It seems to last much longer too.

-- Fchilly

View Arcola60's profile

Arcola60

#10 posted 04-25-2019 03:49 PM

Thanks Jerry. I just ordered one, along with the woodslicer. It works really well for resawing.

#11 posted 04-25-2019 05:27 PM

- Fchilly

Yes I did notice that the kerf on this blade is half the width of the kerf on my other 1” Timberwolf blade. The kerf on this blade is .032” which is just a tad over 1/32” which would be .03125”.

The company advertises that it will cut a radius of 1.5”. I rarely need a smaller radius than that.

#12 posted 04-25-2019 05:27 PM

- Arcola60

Welcome! You’re going to love it.

View sgcz75b's profile

sgcz75b

#13 posted 04-27-2019 06:48 PM

The Woodslicer has a great reputation but some reviewers have mentioned that it dulls rather quickly.

I’d be interested in hearing in a few months how yours is holding up in that regard.

Glad to hear your positive review.

-- "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey

#14 posted 04-27-2019 10:00 PM

I d be interested in hearing in a few months how yours is holding up in that regard.

Glad to hear your positive review.

- sgcz75b

I’ll be happy to report on that. That being said, remember this blade is specifically designed for wet, dirty, gritty log cutting and I will be only using it on clean seasoned wood. So the results may be a little skewed from representing the blade’s intended purpose.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#15 posted 04-28-2019 01:15 AM

Hi Jerry, Glad you like the blade. It seems pretty coarse for thin stock. The rule of thumb I was taught with bandsaw blades is 3 teeth per thickness . That would make the minimum thickness for a 3TPI blade at 1”. Running thin stock through a coarse blade tends to take teeth out so I would use a piece of scrap under thin stock to fool the blade!
I learned that rule cutting metal, but you might get away with a coarser blade in wood.

cheers, Jim