Dust collector review

Review by robscastle posted 04-23-2019 10:29 AM 1019 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust collector review Dust collector review Dust collector review Click the pictures to enlarge them

In 2012 I built this dust collector from two plastic buckets and some 90mm PVC Pipe.
From 2012 to today it still works fine and was the subject of a blog in 2012.
I was using it today and thought maybe it was time to give some feedback on its operation.

Here it is today still going fine. never had a operational blockage (apart from when rain water got into the system)
Mind you the thicknesser gives it a good workout as that will fill everything quick smart when operating.

Nothing much has changed with the actual buckets side of the collector, the Rixon dust machine died and was replaced, with the H&F unit $60 second hand on ebay! however the operation and its efficency is still as good today as when it was built.

The capped horizontal pipe has been removed but nothing else is different.

Chips do arrive in the filter bags if I dont manage the collection from the buckets but mostly all stay inside the buckets.

I had to ground the buckets due to static build up and some shocking events, but that is documented in the original blog.

The original cost was minimal and the endurance of the plastic buckets has certainly outlived my expectations, as they generally become brittle and disintegrate.
the only casuality is the flexable hose the sun has taken its toll on it.

Value for money endurance and simplicity relate to the 5 Stars.

Seeming as my electric bike was in the way I thought I had better include a complete shot for those of us who may be interested.

courtesy of https://www.aebikes.com.au .. a plug for my sons SUR RON business in Sydney!

View REL's profile

REL

#1 posted 04-23-2019 09:28 PM

Unfortunately my town’s zoning and property regulations would never allow me to duplicate your system.

-- REL, North Jersey

#2 posted 04-23-2019 10:29 PM

REL, I understand fully, partly the reason I am where I am and not in a complex of sorts.
Imagine the noise I used to make when I had a benchtop/lunchbox thicknesser, my wife used to say she could hear me from the Bus stop!

View stefang's profile

stefang

#3 posted 04-24-2019 10:08 AM

Looks good Rob, but hard for me to imagine a place so dry that you can have an outdoor set-up.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Boxguy's profile

Boxguy

#4 posted 04-26-2019 04:35 AM

Rob, nice set up. I’ll send you a pix of my set up when I can get to the project. Like the bike.

-- Big Al in IN

#5 posted 04-26-2019 07:19 AM

Hello there stefang and Boxguy.
stefang:

The gear actually sits under the veranda, but is sometimes gets wet if the rain is blowing in.
Hey my son just visited Iceland so I hear what you are taking about.

Boxguy:
Look forward to seeing it and your new pad as well. No sooner do I find you guys on Google earth and you pack up and move on me.