When you need splinter-free cuts in plywood

Review by Clobby posted 04-19-2019 02:42 AM 667 views 3 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
When you need splinter-free cuts in plywood When you need splinter-free cuts in plywood When you need splinter-free cuts in plywood Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have finally outgrown my Diablo Combination blade and started purchasing more high-end saw blades. This is my second Ridge Carbide blade. I was very impressed with my first Ridge Carbide blade after a recommendation by Stumpy Nubs, that I gave this a shot without any reviews. This is an 80-tooth ATB blade with a full 1/8” kerf.

So far I couldn’t be happier. I just finished created a stand/cabinet for my drill press, using oak Purebond plywood, so I’ve cut approximately 75’ of plywood on it. I’ve done a small handful hardwood crosscuts as well.

I have attached a picture of the bottom (bad side) of the same piece of 1/4” Birch Plywood from big box store with the Diablo blade first, and the beautiful, splinter free Ridge Carbide saw next. The cuts from this blade are exceptional; you almost need a microscope to see the imperfections. One thing I did do is add a brand new zero-clearance insert that I cut specifically for this blade, vs the slightly larger insert in the Diablo blade. I had cut the insert with my 1/8” Ridge Carbide blade, and then switched back to the Diablo thin kerf blade, which doesn’t help with tear-out.

Blade runout as measured with my dial indicator is less than .002”, and is the same runout I get on the arbor itself. So in essence, its between 0 and .0015”, since it’s not introducing any more runout than the saw arbor itself is creating. I measured the carbide points at exactly 1/8” on a set of calipers (as accurate as they go).

The site stated there was up to 2 week shipping time, but I got my blade in 3 days after ordering which was a pleasant surprise.

Both experiences I’ve had with their blades and customer service has been exceptional, and I plan on buying their 24t rip blade next shortly before doing a new workbench.

-- Wood working newbie, IT Pro for 15 years, ask away for computer help to help repay all the noob wood working questions.

View Clobby's profile

Clobby

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 04-19-2019 01:41 PM

is that an 80 tooth blade?

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View Clobby's profile

Clobby

#2 posted 04-19-2019 01:49 PM

is that an 80 tooth blade?

- Mainiac Matt

Yes it is, I updated the review with the basic specs of the blade with your reminder :)

View erdr86's profile

erdr86

#3 posted 04-20-2019 01:29 PM

I think that’s not a hard task.

-- http://carrollbuildingsolutions.com/blog/