An absolute "newbie" meets Wood River Hand Planes

Review by Artie623 posted 04-10-2019 03:27 AM 1186 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An absolute "newbie" meets Wood River Hand Planes No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Firstly,,, I did plenty of research, living in Maine that meant the internet as I don’t have a selection of biological live beings I can actually interface with. From one video to another… and came up with the idea that the tools with the most reviews were the ones that most folks used… folks that all know more than I do. So, between reading reviews, comparing pricing, and listening to the experts I was pretty sure Wood River met my requirements. Woodcraft has a 3-pack assortment deal of the actual hand planes that Mr. “Nubs” as well as most everybody else recommends as “essential” hand planes.. a block plane, a #4, & a #6… AND the price is right (more on that later). So after driving an hour to my local Woodcraft I get home with my new treasures.
I had a cheap-o plane that I got at some bargain tool store years ago… so I was nervous about this purchase. What happened ?... I opened the boxes… stared at the things… they stared back… and then I started “touching”. I know planes should be “tuned” before use… but I’m not set up for that and I had to try these things out.
One by one I attacked the edge of a piece of pine… tweaking the depth of the cut as I went along… no sharpening… no tuning… no experience… no nuthin’. You know what happened… fine, wonderfully evenly cut curly-q’s of wood…. how the hell did that happen !!!! I dunno.
And the price ?... UNREAL… Where the three planes would have cost about $502 if purchased individually… Woodcraft offers a package price of $385, !... a savings of $117 AND if you sign up for something or other on their website they offer a one time discount on many things of 10%... bringing the price to UNDER $350… oh yeah… and if you can get to New Hampshire… there is NO sales tax…. up here in Maine it would have run us almost $20 on this purchase.
So here I am basking in the glory of seemingly great tools at a great price… it’s a win-win. If I can use these things… anybody can. Now if you’ll excuse me I’ve get to get back to a “Stumpy” video !... Oh yeah… that one “extra” plane is the “cheapie”... it’ll be a place holder on my rack until I can figure what the next plane I can’t live without will be !

View Artie623's profile

Artie623

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 04-10-2019 01:24 PM

Nice score. I have the WW #5.5 and agree that the quality is very good.

Happy planing!

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View sgcz75b's profile

sgcz75b

#2 posted 04-10-2019 03:43 PM

Smart move. Rather than bumming around with someone else’s second-or-third hand stuff and trying to make it work, you went with an excellent brand of hand planes.

While others are trying to get their flea-market castoffs and rusted and abused finds in a suitable condition, you’ve made a choice to start out with new planes and can see and feel the pleasure of new tools that will last a lifetime if you’ll take care of them.

Good job on your research.

-- Remember - You're not a "real" woodworker unless you do exactly as another woodworker says you must do. It's called "The True Woodworker Fallacy."

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#3 posted 04-10-2019 04:02 PM

Very Nice. Living in Maine, I hope you make the pilgrimage to Lie-Nielsen at least once. They have an open house in July.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View WildWoodsAsheville's profile

WildWoodsAsheville

#4 posted 04-12-2019 06:10 AM

That’s a pretty good deal, nice work. I’ve had no problems with my Wood River #4.
I got mine forever ago…don’t use it as much ever since I upgraded to a couple different Lie-N throughout the years…but I guarantee my Wood River can still take ribbons off hard woods. Gotta make sure that blade is dumb sharp…take care of it and it’ll last. ✌

-- Wild Woods Asheville

View WildWoodsAsheville's profile

WildWoodsAsheville

#5 posted 04-12-2019 06:11 AM

-- Wild Woods Asheville

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#6 posted 04-12-2019 04:39 PM

Smart move. Rather than bumming around with someone else s second-or-third hand stuff and trying to make it work, you went with an excellent brand of hand planes.

While others are trying to get their flea-market castoffs and rusted and abused finds in a suitable condition, you ve made a choice to start out with new planes and can see and feel the pleasure of new tools that will last a lifetime if you ll take care of them.

I’m not saying you have to buy all your planes used, but it would be an excellent exercise in understanding hand planes to try to refurbish one.

I agree, but I disagree. It is nice to have a set of plans that will work for you. The Block, #4 and #6 can do a whole lot of work, from trimming and chamfering edges, to smoothing, to shooting board work and jointing. Still, you really should know how to adjust and tune your planes. I found that by getting my hands on that old “second or third hand rusted and abused stuff” and bring it back into usable condition you will learn a lot about how planes work and get more out of the new planes you purchased. So, use the. Use them A LOT. You may find that you would like to add a #7 or a #8 jointer down the road. Maybe a low angle jack plane. It wouldn’t be the worst idea to find that jointer used and learn to tune it up yourself.

sgcz75b makes it sound like all old planes are rusted heaps. That isn’t always the case. You can find very good jointers for around $100 to $150 dollars. With about two hours of work, you have a great jointer, almost as good as the Wood River that you spend over $300.00 for.

Just my two cents.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

#7 posted 04-12-2019 09:47 PM

I smell a rabbit hole opening up …. skews and shoulders and scrapers ohh and sharpening too.

Congrats and enjoy the ride Artie. Its fun.

-- Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.

View sgcz75b's profile

sgcz75b

#8 posted 04-13-2019 11:35 AM

sgcz75b makes it sound like all old planes are rusted heaps.

- Dwain

Nope. Didn’t say that.

You can learn from having a new plane that works pretty much out-of-the-box, seeing the fit and finish and mechanics of operation, and begin to use it without a restoration effort. I’ve restored many old tools myself but if someone has the money, can purchase a new tool and begin to use that tool, then they’re doing what they bought the tool to do which is making the tool work.

Having a new/used tool in prime working condition and using it makes it easier to decide how, when, and if you want to take a rust-bucket, non-operating tool and work on it.

Context means everything.

View Andre's profile

Andre

#9 posted 04-13-2019 04:35 PM

Only have had one W.R., a low angle block that made me avoid them ever since:) Now, not a lot of planes but have L.N., Stanley’s (all with PM-11 irons) and all new stuff is Veritas. Well maybe a couple more Brass L.N. to sit on the shelf and look pretty? Actually my brass 102 is the most used plane in the shop, but slowly losing it’s status to the Veritas apron plane because of the PM-11 iron!
Biggest thing with all planes (and Chisels) is the sharpening! Water stones, Oil maybe Diamond? All have a place.
As Chisstef said rabbit hole that can quickly turn into a Bear burrow. As I tell my Favorite Daughter and Grangirls, they are not toys but your inheritance!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View Pointer's profile

Pointer

#10 posted 04-19-2019 05:12 PM

I was just at that Woodcraft store. Should have looked at the planes. Instead bought a few other items and some Padauk for 60% off. Woo Hoo! I too only have cheap planes. Should look into these.

-- Joe - I am not entirely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

View Artie623's profile

Artie623

#11 posted 04-20-2019 01:30 PM

Thanks for all of the input… my next purchase is a worksharp 3000…. by the end of the summer I might be qualified to help the next new guy… but for now it’s me!... Art

View erdr86's profile

erdr86

#12 posted 04-20-2019 01:31 PM

Congrats, You did a great job.

-- http://carrollbuildingsolutions.com/blog/