Taytools Hollow Chisel Mortise 3-Piece Sharpening Kit Does The Job Perfectly

Review by Jerry posted 04-08-2019 06:27 PM 5466 views 1 time favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Taytools Hollow Chisel Mortise 3-Piece Sharpening Kit Does The Job Perfectly No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just bought this for the paltry sum of $22.99 a couple of days ago on Amazon. This is one of those tools that does the job it was designed for perfectly, easily, and efficiently. I spent about a minute rotating the sharpening cone by hand inside my half inch hollow chisel mortising bit, and then another minute flattening the outsides on my diamond stone.

The result is the chisel is sharp enough to shave with.

Highly recommended.

Here’s a direct link to the Taytools Hollow Chisel Mortise 3-Piece Sharpening Kit

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

#1 posted 04-08-2019 06:35 PM

Yes, these work well. My only problem is telling the fine grit from the super fine. Mine look and feel almost identical. I guess I need to label the shank with a sharpie pen.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#2 posted 04-08-2019 06:42 PM

Good review Jerry. These are a must to have for any mortiser. It makes all the difference in the world. I think I paid $35 for mine a few years ago but I bought it on the moment.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

#3 posted 04-08-2019 07:43 PM

thanks jerry ive been in need of a sharpener, i just ordered one from amazon.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#4 posted 04-08-2019 09:22 PM

Thanks for the good report!!

View Andre's profile

Andre

#5 posted 04-08-2019 11:06 PM

I have a set from Lee Valley bought many years ago for a drill press mortiser that was saved from the scrap iron pile.
Now were did I put those sharpening cones? I see the L.V. ones are $15.00 Can? (No handle)

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View Rich's profile

Rich

#6 posted 04-09-2019 04:57 AM

I’ve been waiting for this. Thanks.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

#7 posted 04-09-2019 06:23 AM

Hey guys, this review has been unexpectedly well received, so I’m glad you all found it useful.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#8 posted 04-09-2019 08:54 AM

I still cannot find one in Australia that will sharpen 5/8 which is a bit annoying.

How do you guys sharpen your 5/8 Chisel? ...or do you just don’t bother using it?

Now whats this about only 1 minute to flatten them thats gotta be definately annoying!!

-- Regards Rob

View PPK's profile

PPK

#9 posted 04-09-2019 12:54 PM

I too have a set of these, I think from Lee Valley. They’re great. I use them a lot. Mine mount in a drill, and that makes it a lot faster. I’m sure you could use yours in a drill too…

-- Pete

#10 posted 04-09-2019 04:38 PM

How do you guys sharpen your 5/8 Chisel? ...or do you just don t bother using it?

- robscastle

5/8” will require a lapidary cone sharpener, they go up to about 3”. It’s going to take some searching to find the right profile. Here’s a set

and here’s a video showing a large cone in use.

use the very general search term “diamond cone” to start getting the search results you need.

I am also wondering if one could be fabricated using a lathe to get the profile and then epoxying on a layer of diamond dust.

If the bit is kept sharp through frequent sharpening, it does not take much to bring it back!

#11 posted 04-09-2019 05:39 PM

great info jerry thanks for the video.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#12 posted 04-09-2019 08:02 PM

I can’t remember what brand the cones I have are, but I can’t imagine getting hollow chisel mrotiser bits sharp enough to cut white oak without a set of cones.

With the cones, I can get them REALLY sharp

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View Rich's profile

Rich

#13 posted 04-09-2019 09:24 PM

I went on Amazon to place my order and noticed there is another option for the same cones, but without the handle. Since I plan on using mine in a drill, I went with that one and saved a few bucks.

#14 posted 04-09-2019 09:27 PM

- Rich

now you tell me rich-lol.i did not see that,gonna probably use mine in a drill too.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#15 posted 04-10-2019 11:02 AM

Yo Pottzy you can always send the first set to me as an Easter Present.
I would really like that!

On the weekend I am going to get the HCM out and check the dimensions as Jerry indicates it may do the job on the 5/8 HC… Standby!

-- Regards Rob