Pocket door slide as a hose holder.

Review by RobS888 posted 04-01-2019 04:48 PM 1003 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pocket door slide as a hose holder. Pocket door slide as a hose holder. Pocket door slide as a hose holder. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this a month back for $35 after seeing Rockler’s ceiling mounted slide.

I like and have a lot of Rockler stuff, but sometimes their prices are too high.

I got this aluminum pocket door slide mounted it to the ceiling in my garage:

I used rubber straps I already had to hang the hose from wheel assembly and now I can cut an 8 foot board without thinking about the hose or it snagging on every darn thing it could possibly snag on. It is smooth and needs very little to no thought when using the track saw or sanding.I was able to slide the plastic door aligners into the end of the track to act as stops, so I can’t run off the end. I paid $35, but it shows as $50 now.

Rubber straps.

-- I always suspected many gun nuts were afraid of something, just never thought popcorn was on the list.

View CaptainKlutz's profile

CaptainKlutz

#1 posted 04-01-2019 05:36 PM

Cheaper is good. Looks a lot like Duratrack?

+1 Rockler Ceiling Track system is an expensive choice. Rockler didn’t innovate ceiling tracks.
Overhead track systems have been around since early 1900’s.

Unistrut is a popular version, sold everywhere.

Duratrack is common system for hanging welding curtains and moving electrical wiring.

Cheers!

-- I'm an engineer not a woodworker, but I can randomly find useful tools and furniture inside a pile of lumber!

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#2 posted 04-01-2019 09:15 PM

This is an excellent idea and has many uses. I think the ceiling of a shop offers many opportunities. I have pipes across much of my shop for temporary hanging of things. But, this for a sanding vacuum hose is great.

You need to post it as a project or blog.

#3 posted 04-01-2019 09:56 PM

You need to post it as a project or blog.

- Redoak49

I had to use 6 inch spacers to clear a light fixture. the beauty is I can run the track saw without a snag on the long side or short side of my table.

View edapp's profile

edapp

#4 posted 04-02-2019 12:01 PM

Great idea. I was about to purchase an articulating boom arm (like at the dentist) to accomplish the same task….

Looks like I will have some pocket door hardware on its way instead!

View Underdog's profile

Underdog

#5 posted 04-03-2019 11:12 AM

Sounds interesting. Can you show us pix of your installation?

-- Jim, Georgia, USA

#6 posted 04-03-2019 07:49 PM

I added a couple of pictures.

I put a hook in the one support to hang the hose and power cord on.

This is almost too simple, the one thing that was a minor problem was trying to use a hook on the truck (wheel assembly) it would put pressure on the truck and lock it up, but with the rubber band thing screwed to the truck I can pull from any angle and it is fine.

#7 posted 04-14-2019 03:50 PM

Great idea, thank you for sharing this

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View erdr86's profile

erdr86

#8 posted 04-20-2019 01:24 PM

Looking Good, Can I see the process of installation it?

-- http://carrollbuildingsolutions.com/blog/

#9 posted 04-20-2019 08:28 PM

Looking Good, Can I see the process of installation it?

- erdr86

I didn’t take any pictures while installing it, but it was very easy. Let me know if there is a different view you would like to see.