Laguna Spindle Sander SS-14 MSANOS14x14

Review by PPK posted 03-15-2019 04:37 PM 384 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Laguna Spindle Sander SS-14  MSANOS14x14 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this sander a couple months ago to replace my cheaper “many-brand” spindle sander that looks like this:

The motor had issues that caused it to overheat and stop running after about a minute of use.

Anyway, on to the review:

Pros:
-The machine is heavy and doesn’t shift/vibrate during use.

-Very quiet. Induction motor, not one of the universal (screamer) motors.

-Drums come with, and there’s a great selection, all the way down to 1/4” diameter. This is really handy for some projects with small corners.

-Steels spindles are very well machined and easy to adjust/change sanding sleeves

-Comes with stand. (Although I’m not using the stand – I like to be able to set it on my bench.)

-Table tilt is good, has good stops at 90 degrees, and locks down tightly

-Throat inserts are very heavy and seat well.

-Plenty of power. You’ll destroy your sandpaper/gum up/overheat before you’ll bog it.

-It’s all steel, with very minimal parts made of plastic.

Cons:
-Two of the drums sizes are a much softer rubber, and one of them wobbles a little bit due to the rubber. I adjusted it, but it seems to still wobble a tiny bit.

-Dust collection isn’t that great. Could easily be modified to work better with some cardboard or a chunk of PVC or something. It’s not a big deal for me, and any machine that has a tilt-top is going to have sub-par dust collection, in my opinion.

General Comments:

I got the sander a little on sale (during the Laguna Sale at the local tool store) but it runs about $500. It’s certainly not cheap, but I think this’ll be the last spindle sander I buy, unlike the $100 models.

It’s certainly an overseas product, but what isn’t? It seems to be a good one though – not like a Harbor Freight tool at all.

I can’t speak to the owner’s manual. I didn’t read it/probably wont :-) It’s not like you need to do any real assembly or anything.

The issue with the one rubber drum wobbling a little doesn’t seem big enough to reduce the 5-star rating. I’d recommend this unit to others.

-- Pete

View PPK's profile

PPK

1 comment so far

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

#1 posted 03-15-2019 04:49 PM

I am glad you like your newe sander.

I bought a Grizzly about 2 years ago now with the belt and spindles both. That is slightly noisy; but that is my only complaint about it!

-- Wood rescue is good for the environment and me! just rjR