New Router Table Top

Review by Jarrhead posted 03-12-2019 03:49 PM 636 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Router Table Top No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My old router table top was a Woodpeckers MDF version purchased around about 2007. It had served me well, truth be told. It was/is still serviceable. Unlike most MDF tops it didn’t warp, even though I left the router hanging in it constantly, even when not in use. The problem I did have with it was with the slots cut into it for the fence. Those slots were merely machined into the MDF. There were no reinforced channels. consequently, after years of clamping and unclamping my Rouseau fence with T-slot bolts in those channels, they started to get pulled out of plane with the table top. The result being that boards would get hung up on those slots when i would pass a piece along the fence. Very frustrating. I resigned myself to replace that top with either a phenolic or cast iron version. While at the recent Woodworking show in Toronto, I found a great deal on an Excelsior cast iron top, so I scooped it up. The photo is the new top mounted to the old router table base. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet. But I am expecting great results from it. Stay tuned for another review on the new fence I am building for it.

-- trn2wud

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View PhilipThornton's profile

PhilipThornton

#2 posted 03-18-2019 10:35 PM

OMG great product! I would try this one out… Just started to work from a book that contains 16.000 woodwork plans. Never thought we can work together with my son, but this one really made a good team from us. Here is the book if anyone would like to try out :) 16.000 woodwork plan