PM CNC dust shoe has fatal design flaw

Review by Mike_D_S posted 03-03-2019 04:01 PM 681 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
PM CNC dust shoe has fatal design flaw PM CNC dust shoe has fatal design flaw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

On my CNC machine, the current dust shoe setup has a few issues I’ve been meaning to take care of for a bit. First off, the shoe is set up for a 2.5 inch port for a shop vac. Secondly, the original owner cut the brush oddly so there is a section with short bristles near the DC port. So between the small port and the suction loss with the short brush on the one side, making a new dust shoe has been on my to do list for a bit.

I happened to get an email from Amazon about some warehouse deals and while I was browsing around, I saw the PM dust shoe available in the warehouse deals for about $40 shipped. With some quick math on new materials cost, time to cut, etc the price looked good so I ordered it. However, when it showed up and I finally got a chance to look at it, it has a fatal flow in the design in my opinion.

The basics are good, fairly stiff plastic, good brush length, 4” dust port with threaded end so no other adapter needed, and it comes with an 90/80mm adapter to fit a few spindle sizes.

Now let’s get to the bad. The entire unit is fairly heavy. Not enough to really worry about the mechanics of the machine, but noticeably heavy. This is made worse when I saw that the removable brush part of the dust shoe was held on with only two small magnets.

Holding the dust shoe by the dust port and giving it a little shake will cause the brush body to fall off the magnets. Maybe I got a bad one and that’s why it was in the warehouse deal, but I can say with relative confidence that there is no way this is going to stay attached during an aggressive cut.

So that means eventually you’re going to run into the case where it falls off during a cut and you cut into it, which is totally unacceptable.

For the price, I’ll make an attempt to add additional magnets to hold the brush part more firmly. As my other plan was to cut one from scratch, this is ok, but if I had been buying this at full price expecting a plug and play solution I’d be pretty mad and it would be on the way back to Amazon right now.

So two stars for what I see as a ridiculous design flaw.

#1 posted 03-06-2019 01:44 AM

Here is a product that is proven on CNC’s. I’ve had mine since 2014 and no problems to report. 5 stars! https://www.kentcnc.net/nc
Also, I have D.I.Y. CAD/CAM Tool path copy of the “Kent” original and the links to McMasters for the brushes.
After much analysis of the time/costs- just buy KENT than try to make it yourself. I replaced the original that came with my machine with the KENT- Yes, I balked at the price- Well worth it.

#2 posted 03-06-2019 02:56 AM

The Kent one looks to be decent quality. As a turn key rig it’s a little spendy, but looks to be ready to go.

Mike

#3 posted 03-07-2019 03:05 AM

”... it’s a little spendy” Fathers Day is coming up- I hope that you enjoy the world of CNC

#4 posted 03-09-2019 02:54 AM

DW,

I’ve had my machine for a bit. I have the Probotix nebula and its a nice midsize unit with a cutting area about 36×50. I do a fair amount of cabinet work and being able to just throw on a piece of ply wood and come back 20 minutes later and pick up two cabinet sides with toe kicks, dadoes and shelf pin holes all done has been a thing of beauty.

Mike

#5 posted 03-09-2019 04:23 PM

It is great to see younger woodworkers accepting technology (CNC). Before the CNC, we used various hand methods
Today a programmed machine…

Note the optional “Kent type dust shoe- do you happen to know how much it cost $$$? It looks very similar to the Kent- can you upgrade to your machine. I say this for I do not like working with a product that is not to my liking (junk)

Also, I like that your machine comes with a 4th axis option. You could add some very beautiful decor for the cabinets (additonal markup)

Best to you any others-