porter cable 4216

Review by pottz posted 03-03-2019 04:38 AM 985 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
porter cable 4216 porter cable 4216 porter cable 4216 Click the pictures to enlarge them

porter cable 4216 joint system.
just got the porter cable 4216 super jig. so first thing i had to do was play with it and test out the various joints it will do.out of the box their is very little assembly required.the first thing was how to hold the jig to the work bench,so i made a base the i could lock down to my assembly bench’s t track.
next was to read the manuel as all men always do,”right” then proceed to create joints,such as the dove tail,blind dove and box joint.as you can see the joints are very tight.the manuel is a little vague on some aspects but easy enough to figure out.overall this jig rocks creating what i would call tight fitting perfect joints.the kit comes with all the bushings and bits needed to do the joints mentioned.the jig itself is heavy duty steel with heavy aluminum templates,not flimsy plastic as are some.i dont have the time or will to do hand cut dovetails so this was my soloution to perfect joints.i highly recommend this jig.

oh i didn’t mention to do the box joint you need tp provide the 1/2 straight bit yourself,it’s not included.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#1 posted 03-03-2019 05:12 AM

-- Andy - Seattle USA

#2 posted 03-03-2019 05:32 AM

Hey pottzy, how many doves sacrificed themselves for the 3rd picture? After the 2nd. picture I’m surprised you have fingers left to catch the doves.

‘gree with ya. The time and will are a great trade off for the invested shekels… and life’ll be easier with more drinking time…

#3 posted 03-03-2019 05:57 AM

Hey pottzy, how many doves sacrificed themselves for the 3rd picture? After the 2nd. picture I m surprised you have fingers left to catch the doves. gree with ya. The time and will are a great trade off for the invested shekels… and life ll be easier with more drinking time…

- LittleBlackDuck

no doves were hurt in the making of this review.cheers duckie. hey what about making some “duck tail joints” ?

#4 posted 03-03-2019 07:59 AM

Another perfect ducktail joint,

note the nails… to keep the foxes at bay…

#5 posted 03-04-2019 02:59 AM

nice craftsmanship duckie looks like rc has been coaching you again-lol.

#6 posted 03-04-2019 04:42 AM

... looks like rc has been coaching you again-lol.
- pottz

Fortunately… I’m a lucky duckling!

This was my first attempt at a half-blind ducktail,

unfortunately the board was a tad short so the ducktails didn’t reach the end.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#7 posted 03-04-2019 05:53 PM

- Andybb

Seriously though, a jig that will do box joints and dovetails (regardless if they are blind, half blind or have 20/20 vision) is awesome. I can barely draw a straight line so I have no inclination, talent, desire or time to try and learn to cut them by hand. I’ve got a DIY box joint jig and a HF dt jig. A nice all-in-one with those results would be great.

-- Andy - Seattle USA

#8 posted 03-04-2019 06:12 PM

- Andybb

Seriously though, a jig that will do box joints and dovetails (regardless if they are blind, half blind or have 20/20 vision) is awesome. I can barely draw a straight line so I have no inclination, talent, desire or time to try and learn to cut them by hand. I ve got a DIY box joint jig and a HF dt jig. A nice all-in-one with those results would be great.

- Andybb

yeah i dnot have the time or desire to hand cut dovetails,i know the purists will scoff at that but as you can see from my tests the joints are perfect.

#9 posted 03-04-2019 06:14 PM

... looks like rc has been coaching you again-lol.
- pottz

Fortunately… I m a lucky duckling!

This was my first attempt at a half-blind ducktail,

unfortunately the board was a tad short so the ducktails didn t reach the end.

- LittleBlackDuck

not bad duckie maybe just a little cleanup-lol.

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

1376 posts in 1939 days

#10 posted 03-04-2019 08:48 PM

Thank you for the review. I have been looking at this.

-- When you leave your shop for the night, make sure you can always count to 10.

#11 posted 03-04-2019 09:05 PM

you can buy it with just thw standard template or the 4216 comes with all 3 templates,the bushings and router bits,except the1/2” straight bit for box joints.much cheaper this way.it’s built like a tank,rocklers has cheap plastic templates.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#12 posted 03-05-2019 02:01 PM

Thanks for the review pottz. I just inherited one of these from my brother. Still deciding what I’m going to do with it.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

#13 posted 03-05-2019 02:40 PM

Thanks for the review pottz. I just inherited one of these from my brother. Still deciding what I m going to do with it.

- doubleDD

how about use it dave-lol. hey it’s a nice easy to use jig mines gonna get its first real workout on a night stand im getting ready to do.

View WoodenDreams's profile

WoodenDreams

#14 posted 03-15-2019 04:31 AM

I’ve heard good reviews on this. I bought this one over a year ago on sale. Couldn’t pass up the price. It’s still in the box, because I made a jig for my table saw to cut box joints. I’ll have to try this out in a couple months or so, So I’m familiar with doing dovetails with it.