It's no Tormek. But it is a Wen

Review by Holbs posted 03-03-2019 04:03 AM 1048 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It's no Tormek.  But it is a Wen It's no Tormek.  But it is a Wen It's no Tormek.  But it is a Wen Click the pictures to enlarge them

With the ongoing hand plane & chisel sharpening experience I am working on, I wanted to add something that would benefit my ever increasing arsenal: a wet grinder. This will not replace, but add too my diamond stones and Worksharp 3000 machine.
Tormek is well out of my price tag. Though surely more engineering, higher quality parts & motor… I think I would spring for a Laguna bandsaw before going for a Tormek or something else of value. A wet grinder was not a NEED but more so a WANT. So… with the surprising quality I experienced with my only other Wen product (15” drill press), I wanted to try this $130+ machine out.
Easy to assemble if you graduated grade school since no real informative instructions. Comes with 10” 220 grit wheel made in China and leather stropping wheel. Honing compound, component holding jig. Later on in it’s life, I may swap out to a more robust quality made wheels & grits, but for now, it does the job.
After allowing the wheel to soak up water I gave it a spin with a auction plane blade from a Victor #5 that is totally damaged. 5 minutes later, I get the result above in the picture. Not shabby at all. Didn’t take long, with a little bit more to go if I wanted to finish off the blade.
I have a Tormek (TT-50 I believe) dressing wheel tool on it’s way. This wheel is not 100% balanced or maybe you are suppose to dress every wheel right out of the box for the machine it sits on. From what I read in reviews, most other manufacturer jigs & tools will work on this machine. The wheel is good to use as it stands, but not 100% til dressed.
Some sprinkle of water on the sides but is to be expected. Not noisy at all so don’t have to wear hearing protection.
I would say this is a very basic clone of the Tormek. As it was meant to be.
It deserves 5 stars even though lots of plastic parts and such because hay….come on… it’s only $140’ish :) Works as intended.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter "xylokopos/ξυλοκὀπος"

View DMiller's profile

DMiller

#1 posted 03-03-2019 10:19 PM

Glad to know, thanks for the review! If you ever do need a bandsaw, I highly recommend the Laguna. I recently got one and it works great!

-- Dale Miller Modesto, CA "I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13. "Woodworking minus patience equals firewood."

#2 posted 03-03-2019 10:21 PM

- DMiller

I have a roubo frame saw that I have yet to really test out. It’s a hand tool, not machine bandsaw. Already have the standard clone 14” bandsaw at my disposal.

#3 posted 03-04-2019 07:37 PM

I have this unit, and agree with you. Works great for the price. Grinding wheel on mine seemed to be balanced well.

#4 posted 03-04-2019 07:42 PM

- PPK

PPK… do you use the angle gauge that came with it? If so.. can you give any information on how to use it? :) Was thinking of buying the Tormek angle gauge.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#5 posted 03-04-2019 10:29 PM

-- Andy - Seattle USA

#6 posted 03-04-2019 11:43 PM

Andy… I bet the Domino is TOO exclusive towards woodworking to be considered a thought.
Example: the WEN wet grinder is not just for plane blades or chisels, but lots of knives and such.

#7 posted 03-08-2019 03:11 PM

- Holbs

Yes, I do use the plain angle gauge that came with it. I just clamp in the chisel or plane iron, and letter buck! (sliding it back and forth across the stone of course) I’ve tried using both forward and reverse direction, and it really doesn’t seem to make any difference. Both directions you end up with a bit of a burr.

#8 posted 03-08-2019 03:12 PM

- Andybb

+1.

I’ve been waiting for the same thing. It’ll happen. No way I’m going to buy a Festool. Well, unless I need a big tax write-off at the end of the year…

#9 posted 03-08-2019 04:27 PM

- Holbs

Yes, I do use the plain angle gauge that came with it. I just clamp in the chisel or plane iron, and letter buck! (sliding it back and forth across the stone of course) I ve tried using both forward and reverse direction, and it really doesn t seem to make any difference. Both directions you end up with a bit of a burr.

- PPK

any way you can upload some pix or vid on how to use that angle gauge? it totally looks enigmatic to me !

#10 posted 03-08-2019 05:01 PM

Ohhh! You mean that little plastic thing that’s supposed to tell you if you’re sharpening to a 25 degree angle? No, I don’t use that… I’m not sure how to use it either!

#11 posted 03-08-2019 05:04 PM

how do you set your angle, then? luck? :)
or protractor?
was thinking of getting the $25 Tormek angle gauge.

#12 posted 03-08-2019 05:07 PM

Yes, I do have a cheap protractor that I use to check the angle. But when I’m clamping it in, I look at the iron from the side to see if it looks like it’s the right angle to the stone. THen after I sharpen for a bit, I check to make sure it’s grinding at the same angle (grinding evenly along the whole bevel) It’s not rocket science, but it gets it pretty close.

#13 posted 03-08-2019 05:09 PM

I’ll try to figure out the crappy plastic angle gauge that came with it this weekend. Maybe will get lucky. I’ll let you know if I find an answer.

View ThistleDown's profile

ThistleDown

#14 posted 03-09-2019 04:51 AM

- Andybb

No chance of that soon, they have a patent on how it works.

-- My biggest fear is that when I am gone, my wife will sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

#15 posted 03-09-2019 06:33 AM

Wen cloned Tormek. But Bosch could not clone Sawstop. Go figure.