Mostly good

Review by Manitario posted 02-06-2019 04:05 PM 1035 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Mostly good No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I primarily use waterstones for sharpening, except when I need to be aggressive, then the 220 grit diamond plate comes out. I don’t like the mess of conventional waterstones; what I like about these stones is that they only need a spritz of water just before use. Generally, they work well; they sharpen quickly and wear slowly. I mostly have O1 and the PM-V11 steel; the small amount of A2 that I have is slow to sharpen, but I find it slow on everything!

Strangely, the 3000g stone is brutally slow at removing the scratches from the 1000g stone, i.e. we’re talking about minutes rather than a few swipes. I switched back to a 4000g Imanishi waterstone from Lee Valley which only requires a few swipes to remove the 1000g scratches. Otherwise, the 1000 and 10000g stones are great.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

View Andre's profile

Andre

2451 posts in 2076 days

#1 posted 02-07-2019 03:31 PM

I picked up a 10000 stone at a LN show a few years ago and they told me that the grit # is a range and every stone has slight variations? Think I have 3 or 4, 8000+ Water stones that I’ve collected over the years and for some reason always fall back to the old 1000/8000 Norton when some serious sharpening/rehab is required. Find that some are so soft that I hate using them. The Norton is getting very thin and to the point that it doesn’t get put into the pond anymore! Another project on my list is a new sharpening station but hey always tomorrow?
I had a Wood river 60 1/2 block with a A2 iron, hated it and got rid of it rather quickly. Everything that can, does have a PMV11 Iron in it now! LOL!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View R_Stad's profile

R_Stad

#2 posted 02-08-2019 05:22 AM

Thanks for the experienced info. Always valuable. Thanks for sharing.

-- Rod - Oregon

View SPFM's profile

SPFM

#3 posted 02-15-2019 03:43 PM

I own one of the 3000 grit stones and I’m still not sure if I like it or not. It’s not bad but, my Norton 4000 does a much better job. I needed a new 4000 so I gave the Ohishi 3000 a try. I’m thinking about still buy another Norton too!