One Year Later WEN 3410 Air Filtration System

Review by fivecodys posted 02-02-2019 07:40 PM 8483 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One Year Later  WEN 3410 Air Filtration System No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted to wait a year before giving my review of the WEN Air Filtration System.

I added this unit to my shop at the same time as I installed my dust collection system. (Jan 2018)

I have it mounted in the area of my shop that generated the most dust. It hangs over that area from the rafters.
It is to the right of my table saw and over the bandsaw, planner, jointer, & router table.

It was difficult to tell how much this unit was helping to reduce the fine dust in the air until recently.

I built two clocks out of Mahogany to give as Christmas presents and it wasn’t until then that I was able to see the effect this unit was having in the shop. My shop is a two car garage that I share with the wife’s car.

One evening as I was cleaning up so I could put the wife’s car back in the garage, she noticed that the filter on the WEN was red. It was then that I knew this little unit was indeed capturing some of the fine mahogany dust in the air.

Here is what the filter looked like compared to a new one.

I do not want to give the impression that this little unit was fully cleaning the air of all dust but as the filter shows, it was capturing some of the fine dust that would have otherwise been floating around for me to breathe.

I gave this unit 4 stars because I don’t have an accurate way to measure the air in a before and after scenario.
I do like that it’s not very loud and that it can be set to turn off after a period of time.
The remote works well.

Would I buy it again? Yep. Sure would. Some air filtration is better than none and this little guy is reasonably priced.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#1 posted 02-02-2019 08:01 PM

I’m generally happy with Wen products having owned several of their tools as far back as 30 years. I just ordered a scroll saw from them and I have their oscillating spindle sander. Funny thing; HF and others sell the same models under their own name so I guess they all come from the same Chinese factory. Wen sells them at lower prices than the other clones.

View jtdon's profile

jtdon

#2 posted 02-02-2019 10:32 PM

I bought one of these Wen units about 18 months ago and I agree with your review. I have mine near my lathe and the filter is full of whatever wood I am turning.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#3 posted 02-03-2019 04:12 AM

I am a fan of WEN- nice review… but to ding it a star, I dissagree…

-- Desert_Woodworker

View jamsomito's profile

jamsomito

#4 posted 02-03-2019 11:46 AM

I am a fan of WEN- nice review… but to ding it a star, I dissagree…

- Desert_Woodworker

Sounded to me like it got docked a star because of the paragraph before where he says it doesn’t get all the dust in the air.

Fivecodys, is this the one that does something like 200-400cfm, the smaller one? They make a larger, less common one that goes up near 1000cfm. Just wanted to clarify.

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

1976 posts in 2948 days

#5 posted 02-03-2019 10:23 PM

From his photo it looks like the basic model, three speeds 300-400 cfm. I’ve got that one and have been very pleased with it.

This sort of thing is not going to get all the dust out of the air. I bought mine to reduce dust settling on things in the garage. Reduce? Yes. Eliminate? No. You need more than just a ceiling filter to do that.

#6 posted 02-03-2019 11:00 PM

People get a little touchy about air filtration reviews around here, don’t they? Hee Hee Hee

Sorry ‘DW’ but that was my opinion. Nothing wrong with a “4” you know? :)

Yes Colonel, it’s the smaller unit. Thanks for the response.

View WoodenDreams's profile

WoodenDreams

#7 posted 02-05-2019 11:54 PM

I have the same Wen model in my shop. I think this does a very good job. But I still wear a dust mask when creating dust. Wading dust still gets on things, I work with a lot of aromatic red cedar, better having most of the dust put into that filter than in your lungs.

View BanjoBen's profile

BanjoBen

106 posts in 1955 days

#8 posted 02-06-2019 04:52 PM

I have this same one and it works very well. I’ve actually been thinking about buying a second one just so I can set up a circulation in my garage shop and of course, double the CFM I can filter. I’m still going on my same filters after roughly a year myself, and I just clean it out with compressed air from time to time. I just recently cleaned out the inner filter and it really does get a lot of the very fine dust.

View ibewjon's profile (online now)

ibewjon

#9 posted 02-13-2019 01:38 AM

Just got the small wen for Christmas, to add to my DC system. Glad to see good reviews.

View cmacnaughton's profile

cmacnaughton

#10 posted 08-09-2019 12:55 AM

Thanks for the review. It’s my next purchase in combatting dust in my small workshop. Good to know it’s worth the comparatively meager investment.

-- –Chuck M. Nutmegger by choice

View DannyW's profile

DannyW

#11 posted 10-24-2019 07:32 PM

I just ordered this same unit and it is ready to pickup at HD right now. Good to see that it seems to do the job.

-- DannyW

#12 posted 11-26-2019 04:09 PM

Dear Woodworker, do you want to learn woodworking? or gain additional experience?

Good day, dear woodworker-participant lumberjocks com … and we want to encourage the retired master craftsman to finally reveal his secret archive over
16,000 plans – more details on the link ~ http://3weekiet.com/woodworkingrmr ~ click here

- woodworkllpl

SPAM

View DannyW's profile

DannyW

#13 posted 09-18-2020 04:11 PM

I had horrible dust collection in my shop and whatever I tried I ended up with airborne dust galore. I bought this unit and it immediately cleaned up the airborne dust in the shop to the point to where I felt like the air that I was breathing was much cleaner. I still had a lot of dust on the floor of course but it is the dust in the air that really bothers me the most, and this little unit fixed that easily. I have since moved and don’t have a shop setup but it will be one of the very first things that I install in my new shop.

-- DannyW

View JoeFuture's profile

JoeFuture

#14 posted 11-22-2020 06:15 PM

I’ve been using this same filter for a few months in the garage as I worked on sanding and painting some trim. I couldn’t see dust in the air, but like the OP I found that the filter got very dirty very quickly – meaning it’s working! I got it on Amazon at a great price using CamelCamelCamel, and I’m really glad I got it. It doesn’t replace a true dust collector in any way, but it sure helps collect a lot of that fine stuff you may not realize is still floating around the air.