Way brighter than incandescent with just ok hardware

Review by bigblockyeti posted 01-24-2019 01:54 AM 1701 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Way brighter than incandescent with just ok hardware Way brighter than incandescent with just ok hardware Way brighter than incandescent with just ok hardware Click the pictures to enlarge them

After just moving from a detached shop where I had replaced the florescent tubes with LED tubes, I knew it was time to upgrade again from the incandescent fixtures in my new garage. I had previously bought FEIT replacement bulbs at Costco and was pleased with their performance but now not having florescent fixtures meant starting from scratch. After much online searching I settled on Omni-Ray as their prices were competitive, warranty is great (hope I don’t need it) and the claimed light output of 5472 Lumens is good for a 36W fixture.
They have the best prices for a full case (25 fixtures) but I only needed four total and this is considered a sample pack. I placed my order on 1/10/19, it shipped on 1/18/19 and arrived on 1/23/19. I didn’t get any before pictures as I wasn’t thinking about it and I was in a hurry to see how four lights for $87.52 would perform. I’m overall pleased, the lights themselves are a very cool color temperature and put out much more light than a pair of 60W clear bulbs in the previous fixtures could hope to. The cords plug into the end of the fixture and you can either install a three prong plug or hard wire them (as I did) into your existing box. They are too short at just under 12” inclusive of the stripped end as the plug alone takes up over 2” and you have a limited bend radius to work with as well. They can be daisy chained together with the included male to male couplers (I didn’t check how many you can chain together and include a cover plate on the end where a coupler won’t be installed. The extruded aluminum body is very thin but works given what little stress the fixtures should see in service. The metal clips the body snaps into are disappointing. They are a little too tight, the gauge metal is a little too thin and are susceptible to breakage. I only had one fail on me but I was having to be very careful while installing the fixtures into the clips to minimize the chance of breakage. 1/2” screws are also included but did me no good as I needed to penetrate the wood beneath 1/2” drywall. Only one of the fixtures had a problem where voltage applied to one end did nothing but it worked normally when voltage was applied to the opposite end, I may or may not see about getting this rectified. The warranty is 12 years as mentioned I hope to not have to use it.

View Zonker's profile

Zonker

#1 posted 01-27-2019 02:52 PM

I first discovered LED lights when replacing the flouresent lights in the kitchen. What a difference they make. I then put them in the garage and finally my shed/workshop. They’re a great option for any space.

-- Larry A. - I've made a small fortune with my woodworking. The trouble is, I started with a large fortune.

#2 posted 01-27-2019 03:39 PM

Yeah they work wonders especially in cold areas where even the best florescent bulbs still have to warm up a little. The color temperature is something you’ve got to keep an eye on for task light such as finishing or other worm where lighting color could have an effect on quality.

#3 posted 01-27-2019 09:54 PM

Great lighting upgrade

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#4 posted 01-28-2019 12:37 PM

The pictures don’t really do it justice, I’m hoping the cool color temperature doesn’t pose problems down the road when finishing.

View LesB's profile

LesB

2089 posts in 3830 days

#5 posted 02-08-2019 07:16 PM

LEDs are great lighting and I have changed a lot of my household to it, but I found when I tried to convert my existing 8’ fluorescent fixtures in my shop to LED. However, the LED tubes generated a RF (radio frequency) wave that interfered with my shop AM/FM radio so I had to go back to fluorescent…..or stop using the radio.
A couple of weeks ago I converted my 4’ fluorescent fixtures in my garage to bypass type LEDs which worked great. Then I brought my radio into the garage and found the same RF interference. That was not a problem for the garage because I don’t listen to radio there. I should point out I live in a rural location where AM/FM radio signals are not very strong to begin with to that may only be adding to my interference problem.

Some LED tubes are only powered from one end so if you put them in backwards (they are marked) they will not light up.

-- Les B, Oregon

#6 posted 02-09-2019 12:00 PM

That’s interesting to know, I have no problem where I’m at but I can see it could be a problem if your tubes are throwing off enough RF and you don’t have a strong signal the radio is going to suffer. I don’t even have the shop set up yet so I’ve still got a ways to go before I get all the stereo wired up yet.

View ibewjon's profile

ibewjon

#7 posted 02-13-2019 02:03 AM

There are retrofit kits online that will convert 8’ fixtures using 4 -4’ magnetic LED strips. Replace the ballast with the led driver an stick the magnetic LED strips to the fixture. LED’s are available in many different color temps, from ,3000 op to 5000, pick what you like. I have mostly 5000, but also some 3000 to warm up the color for finishing if needed. Do not purchase direct replacement LED lamps that run off the old ballast. When the old ballast dies, you need a new one to run the lamps.

#8 posted 02-13-2019 12:33 PM

I’ve seen those too and considered them for my last garage as I had 8’ florescent fixtures there. Ultimately what I had worked and my primary focus was on my shop lighting so I never got around to upgrading the garage lighting before I moved.

View Breeze73's profile

Breeze73

#9 posted 03-21-2019 05:46 PM

Additionally, LEDs can cause interference with Garage Door Openers. While it’s not the end of the world, it can be frustrating.

-- Breeze