The Decision and Initial Setup

Review by Jerome posted 12-22-2018 03:29 AM 3072 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Decision and Initial Setup No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This probably should be a blog post, but it is also a review in some way because I will explain why I chose this saw over a few others that were on the market. Often times I look for reviews, but I also wanted to share why I chose it as it does relate to how I value my purchase. This a a new saw so I want to give it its due. I currently own a JET 14 bandsaw that I purchased on CL about 5 years ago . It taught me alot as my first bandsaw, but was time for an upgrade mainly due to dust collection.

The choices were between the Rikon 10-326 and Grizzly 17’ models with cast iron wheels or better features. Initially, . i wanted was the extra 3 inches of cutting capacity to left of the blade. When I really considered the work that I do and plan on doing in the future, all I really needed was more resaw capacity than my current saw. This one has 13 inches and my old one had 6. This saw has 1 3/4 hp, and my old had 3/4hp. More importantly and also the deciding factor was dust collection. This JET has two 4”dust collection ports, compared to the 1 1/2 of my old JET 14. But it isn’t just the ports, which i will get into later.

The Rikon 10-326 was pretty darn close. It was on sale for $100 less, had the storage compartment at the bottom. The fence was not a versatile as the JET and it only had one dust collection port. The plus with the Grizzly was the 17” saw, but shipping cost and the fact that I couldn’t touch it was a big factor in my decision. I looked this saw over 3 different times , comparing it side-by-side to the Laguna 14BX, as well as others already mentioned. The steel feels heavier too. ON to the JET!

No brand loyalty here! I threw that to the side. I was a stickler for the features!

The dust port under the table was my focus, as dust piles up there. The red blade guard acts as a dust shroud and the port is directly under it. Second were two areas of “flashing” that help contain dust as the saw is running.These are located to the left and right of the upper wheel.

The JET was the only saw that covered the gap near the blade.

The Rikon had a 110v outlet, but the JET has a flip cover over the outlet.

Lastly, the comparison ended when I shook the top of the blade guard of the Rikon at it wiggled a little too much for me. I did the same with the JET and it held its ground. I inspected both up close and personal and saw that the Rikon did not have an upper guide support. The JET did, which is why it didnt move much. I took into consideration the assembly of the machine, but this was not due to user error, as I spoke with the person who put both saws together. You can barely see the upper assembly, but it is there!

The Jet also comes with a miter guage!

I picked up the mobile base from Rockler. The Bora mobile base works well with it. I had some 1/2 OSB for the saw to sit on and painted it white. Dimensions for my base are 20 3/4×28 1/8. I have three layers. The holes in the mobile base do match up with the saw, but there is a little bit more of a footprint (if you dont make new holes!)

The JET comes in two boxes: 64×27 1/2×20, and 27×20 x 17. Two employees loaded it, but I think it can be loaded into a small suv or perhaps a trunk. My neight helped me by lending his dolly. It isnt hard to move, but the box is slippery! After a few days, it was time to put it together! I took care of the base/mobile base potion first before anything. I secured it with two 3/8 lag screws and two 3/8 bolts. I’ll eventually replace the lag screws. I chose to have the lifting wheels on the back of the saw.

Once the base was taken care of, it was time for the big show, but help was nowhere to be found. I opted for the “Single Man” method! Ill give JET credit, the bulky Styrofoam was a godsend as it held up the saw with a thin board. Itfyou can somehow stack two of the foam parts and get the saw on top, it is higher than the base and it can slide on. This was not the case for me. It took a little while, but after going through my scrap wood, I found the right combination to aid the lift process. Taking pictures along the way was by far the most exhausting part of the lift! It was a good boy and stayed put. I just took my time. The breaks on the mobile base aren’t as strong as one might think, so add a stop if you take a walk on the wild side!

Conclusion

This was my first new tool purchase over a $500. My festool jigsaw was the most expensive, but thats is just because it is Festool. I digress. I’ve been looking to upgrade my bandsaw for a few years now and I finally pulled the trigger. I thought it would be a Grizzly all the way, based on the value, but I really looked at my needs. Sure, some people saw spending over 1000 on a 14 inch bandsaw is alot, considering the options. But in the end the resaw capacity, 1 3/4 HP, and dust collection were good enough for me to make the purchase. i will update my review after set-up is complete , then after a few months use. Merry Christmas to me!

12/21/2018

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#1 posted 12-22-2018 02:14 PM

First learn about this saw so went looking for more information ended up down loading the manual and appreciate how well it’s written. Hope you keep us informed how well saw performs.

Thanks for sharing your set up and best of luck with new saw.

-- Bill

View JRsgarage's profile

JRsgarage

#2 posted 12-22-2018 02:24 PM

Thanks for the review. Looks like you’ve made a sound choice…I also felt the Jet seemed a bit more beefier. I like that it can fit a 1” blade too. Enjoy and look forward to an update.

-- “Facts don't care about your feelings.” ..., Ben Shapiro

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#3 posted 12-22-2018 07:22 PM

I have a Jet 3 hp cabinet saw; bought it about 30 years ago and it still runs like new. I have never really heard much negative press about Jet tools in general. That is why I place them in the same quality category as Powermatic. Delta used to be great, but not so much anymore.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#4 posted 12-23-2018 12:41 AM

There’s another consideration with larger size in a BS: with the larger diameter wheels (17” or 18” vs. 14”) the blade is not stressed so much, which allows a wider blade that can be tensioned more, and is therefore better for resawing.

#5 posted 12-23-2018 04:26 AM

There s another consideration with larger size in a BS: with the larger diameter wheels (17” or 18” vs. 14”) the blade is not stressed so much, which allows a wider blade that can be tensioned more, and is therefore better for resawing.

- runswithscissors

Interesting point! Trust me, I wanted the extra 3 inches of capacity. With that comes with a bigger footprint, more expensive blades, and more gloating! I can always upgrade again if needed.

#6 posted 12-23-2018 04:29 AM

Thanks for the review. Looks like you ve made a sound choice…I also felt the Jet seemed a bit more beefier. I like that it can fit a 1” blade too. Enjoy and look forward to an update.

- JRsgarage

The Rikon also had 2 speeds, one was for metal. However of I put the JETon a VFD , I could slow the speed and cut metal if I wanted to.

View AHuxley's profile

AHuxley

#7 posted 12-23-2018 08:39 AM

Excellent initial review, be sure to update it when you have more time using the saw, there are not a lot of reviews of this fairly new saw on the internet.

BTW you can use a VFD to control speed on a single phase motor.

View curliejones's profile

curliejones

#8 posted 12-26-2018 12:34 PM

Thanks for posting this; this is exactly the decision matrix many of us face. Merry Christmas to you, Jerome, indeed! Keep us posted.

-- Like Guy Clark sez - "Sometimes I use my head, Sometimes I get a bigger hammer"

View OldMan66's profile

OldMan66

#9 posted 01-14-2019 02:16 PM

Hey Jerome congrats on the 14SFX. I am in the market for a new Band Saw and this unit is near the top of the list. The Grizzly G0513X2B is also right there too. Wondering if you have had a chance to resaw with this unit yet.
Any observations you ready to share?

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#10 posted 01-14-2019 03:17 PM

GRATZ Jerome last picture look like a papa bear baby bear LOL :<))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

#11 posted 03-04-2019 04:18 PM

- runswithscissors

I am now beginning to realize what you wrote! I am satisfied with my purchase, however, the 17” would have also been a great choice. My saw has good enough power but you cant ignore the bigger saw have the room for a bigger blade to do the work. I dont plan on resawing to the height capacity of the saw, yet.

View lui_b's profile

lui_b

#12 posted 03-27-2019 04:53 PM

I just purchased the same jet bandsaw from my local woodcraft and I have it for almost a month now. This is my first bandsaw and I can not compare it to others. It took me about a day and half to assemble it and needed help since it weighed about 350 pounds.

I installed a 3/4 blade for re-sawing through the course of 2 weeks and it began to make an awful noise. I immediately stopped the bandsaw and I noticed that the v-belt on the bottom pulley had inverted and were off the tracks.

I re-installed the v-belt, but by just hand turning the wheel it twists and same result. I called Jet support to help diagnose and it seems that the pulleys are slightly out of alignment. I am hoping I can fix this myself since the closes Jet service center is over 2 hours away and I not have a vehicle to transport it there.